Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ramboacdc

another school shooting

Gun control in amuuuuuuuuuuurica won't/cant happen ever and everyone knows that. Not just from a proper owner standpoint but they have a major problem with illegal firearms (just like other countries including here in canada). Education is probably the only policy at this point.

Has Obama made a statement yet, saying he's very sorry and will do something to stop the shootings (like he said after many numerous shootings in recent times)?

When you have a majority of both houses of government in the pockets of the NRA, then there's not an awful lot even a president can do, to be fair.

It would be pretty hilarious if he actually came out and said that, though.

• Like 2

Two choices: implement tighter gun control, or make quality mental healthcare much more easily accessible to everyone.

Pick one, USA. Pick one soon.

You raise the question that strikes me - just how many people out there on on the streets have serious mental illness and why are they allowed  to roam so freely?

Very few, if any, incidents of mass murder or depraved cruelty are one-offs with no previous indications that those responsible might act in such a way - or already had done but on a much smaller scale. 

So why the lack of responsibility? When it comes to building road humps or mounting average speed cameras the authorities are right on the ball. Where mental illness is concerned, too often they're nowhere to be seen til it's too late. 

I think the biggest thing the US could do to reduce the number of gun related homicides is to end the war on drugs. A large portion of the deaths (especially the ones in Chicago) are related to organized crime. 

I'm sure I've read that many of the perpetrators of these atrocities were heavy cannabis users? 

You raise the question that strikes me - just how many people out there on on the streets have serious mental illness and why are they allowed to roam so freely?

Very few, if any, incidents of mass murder or depraved cruelty are one-offs with no previous indications that those responsible might act in such a way - or already had done but on a much smaller scale.

So why the lack of responsibility? When it comes to building road humps or mounting average speed cameras the authorities are right on the ball. Where mental illness is concerned, too often they're nowhere to be seen til it's too late.

So you think we should lock up everyone showing signs of mental illness?

That's okay then.

Well it's better than a lunatic on a rampage. It shows that no amount of gun control or education would have avoided it - the perpetrator would have just gone about it in another way if he was intent on carrying out the act

I'm sure I've read that many of the perpetrators of these atrocities were heavy cannabis users?

Though mass shootings get the majority of the headlines, they only account for 2% of the gun homicide total.

I've not read anything that suggests cannabis played a significant role in any of these mass shootings, but the trafficking of it has lead to countless deaths.

Also if we are to blame substances for our actions, shouldn't we prohibit alcohol as well? Of course not. We learned in the US that prohibiting alcohol doesn't lead by to peaceful sobriety, but it does lead to organized crime.

Edited by Detroit Blues

Though mass shootings get the majority of the headlines, they only account for 2% of the gun homicide total.

I've not read anything that suggests cannabis played a significant role in any of these mass shootings, but the trafficking of it has lead to countless deaths.

Also if we are to blame substances for our actions, shouldn't we prohibit alcohol as well? Of course not. We learned in the US that prohibiting alcohol doesn't lead by to peaceful sobriety, but it does lead to organized crime.

I'm sure there are cannabis users involved in less high profile shootings as well. Legalising something that causes psychotic incidents doesn't seem like a good way to reduce violence to me.

I've posted this before but it still makes me PMSL every time I watch it. Sums it up perfectly for me. The best 8 minutes you'll spend today if you haven't already seen it. Jim Jeffries is the man.

• Like 3

Well it's better than a lunatic on a rampage. It shows that no amount of gun control or education would have avoided it - the perpetrator would have just gone about it in another way if he was intent on carrying out the act

No better in my opinion, the guns still enable it and it still points to the awful mental health service in the US.

I'm sure there are cannabis users involved in less high profile shootings as well. Legalising something that causes psychotic incidents doesn't seem like a good way to reduce violence to me.

I'm pretty sure that the use of cannabis would be pretty low down on the list why the shooting happened, like Detroit said it will be the peddling of it that's the root cause. Portugal abolished criminal offences for drugs and their drug-related crime rate has decreased. Smoking weed is part of gangster lifestyle rather than a motive, and to say it causes violence is as much of a straw man as the good old video games cause mass murderers argument.

I heard 90% of shooters were wearing socks. Ban socks!

I would say that a good percentage of shootings were domestic, deliberate or accidental. Guns are left lying around the home in reach of children and adults. It does not take much to fire one. There have been incidents of kids picking up guns and shooting a relative. Or a wife or husband shooting their spouse over a silly argument.

Banning guns would be impossible but reducing them and making it harder to obtain them from a corner shop would be a start. The gun lobby say criminals would still get them. Yes they would but I bet a lot of the shootings by criminals are with blackmarket weapons now so nothing would change. What restriction would do is making it harder for someone who has a mental breakdown due to a dispute at work returning with an assault rifle to kill co-workers.

This is a deflection, Webbo - the mental health problems encompassing the US have less to do with cannabis and much more to do with a system that practically ensures many people cannot get the help they need. 

And some people want something similar over here.

• Like 1