Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ramboacdc

another school shooting

Got a plan.

The regular argument from the gun lobby is that you can't ban guns because you can't change the Constitution.

(You can't change the second amendment - it's unchangeable! Oh, wait!)

The Constitution, however, does not grant the right to education.

So instead, America should ban schools.

It's by far the easiest way to stop school shootings.

And you're almost certain to get more support for it from the Republicans.

'Murica.

• Like 1

Now something ‘unusual’ in this case is the perpetrator has been captured alive, so will stand trial.

Just checked - Florida is a capital punishment state. 

This kid could conceivably become the youngest executed (at point of execution) in modern US history judging by this;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_for_juveniles_in_the_United_States

Hmmmm

34 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Now something ‘unusual’ in this case is the perpetrator has been captured alive, so will stand trial.

Just checked - Florida is a capital punishment state. 

This kid could conceivably become the youngest executed (at point of execution) in modern US history judging by this;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_for_juveniles_in_the_United_States

Hmmmm

He's 19, right?

So yes, it's possible that prosecutors might ask for the DP, though on the balance of it I think it more likely they'll go for multiple life sentences.

6 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

be interesting to see what would happen if members of Trump's family were gunned down by a 'sane' person with one of these high-powered rifles.

I wonder what excuses he's trot out then? would it be all god and prayers or would he take a different action?

He would just blame the obama administration for their lackadaisical approach to dealing with gun violence 

Or would somehow blame immigrants.

On a side note i totally dislike the guy but id hope nothing like that ever happened to his loved ones. 

The State Governor's address to the situation yesterday was very telling. Rick Scott made two points:

a) Analyze and improve school safety

b) Make it harder or prevent mentally ill people from getting access to weapons/heavy firearms

Whilst agree with the notion, I find it sorry that he failed to bring up potentially banning guns altogether or at least restricting the availability of guns or making a stance on the sale of illegal firearms.

It's already getting political again.

He's Republican, btw.

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

He's 19, right?

So yes, it's possible that prosecutors might ask for the DP, though on the balance of it I think it more likely they'll go for multiple life sentences.

If you have recourse to the death penalty and don’t attempt to use it in this instance; what would be the point? They’ll push for death penalty.

46 minutes ago, BrummieFOX said:

So the US face a unprecedented level of mass shootings and they literally have one argument as to why they won't ban guns.

They like guns.

And the NRA deem kids dying a reasonable price to pay to continue to allow them to enjoy their guns. 

...But they are responsible gun owners bro...

They would rather die fighting for their right to have a gun. That culture is ingrained into their american ways. For an "advanced " country they havent advanced their common sense one bit. 

Crap country and i refuse to go there until things change. Looks like im not going for a long time.

Edited by Jattdogg

21 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

America is not a crap country ffs.  It is an incredible, diverse, beautiful, powerful amazing huge country led by numpties.

Agree. But I've always thought that violence seems much more accepted part of their culture, like in their films or sport for example, than it is in the UK. 

Edited by bovril

3 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

The State Governor's address to the situation yesterday was very telling. Rick Scott made two points:

a) Analyze and improve school safety

b) Make it harder or prevent mentally ill people from getting access to weapons/heavy firearms

Whilst agree with the notion, I find it sorry that he failed to bring up potentially banning guns altogether or at least restricting the availability of guns or making a stance on the sale of illegal firearms.

It's already getting political again.

He's Republican, btw.

Of course they won't. Muh constitution, no way of changing or say amending it...

We're talking about a nation that started reacting to kids joking about eating laundry detergent by tightening access to it, manufacturers adding a bitter coating to stop ingestion. Yet another bunch of children massacred and all they've got available is "thoughts and prayers". They're long since through the looking glass. 

44 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

America is not a crap country ffs.  It is an incredible, diverse, beautiful, powerful amazing huge country led by numpties.

24 minutes ago, bovril said:

Agree. But I've always thought that violence seems much more accepted part of their culture, like in their films or sport for example, than it is in the UK. 

There's something to both of these.

There's a lot of really good people over here, but sadly also there is a massive cultural undercurrent of individualism that also exists, and for a lot of people that means carte blanche to treat other people badly so long as you yourself get to the top (or just a little higher than you are now). That's the main cultural reason why violence is acceptable over here - because in the minds of many, it's justifiable in order to get what you want and just another way to ensure you've got yours.

4 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

If you have recourse to the death penalty and don’t attempt to use it in this instance; what would be the point? They’ll push for death penalty.

Yeah, on the balance of it you're likely right - eepecially if the white supremacist stuff is proven true and the hate crime angle comes into play.

Whilst I find it baffling that American people feel the need to have access to guns I can't help but notice the same liberals who attack anyone who critisises Islam in the aftermath of terrorism are quick to attack law abiding gun owners in the aftermath of a shooting.

3 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Whilst I find it baffling that American people feel the need to have access to guns I can't help but notice the same liberals who attack anyone who critisises Islam in the aftermath of terrorism are quick to attack law abiding gun owners in the aftermath of a shooting.

Might spin this around and say that the same conservatives who are very quick to attack Islam in the aftermath of terrorism are very quick to play down any links to white supremacy/lack of access to good mental health care when the shooter is white.

I mean, do you think they wouldn't politicise this themselves if he wasn't that skin colour? And if he wasn't white, would as much effort have been made to take him alive, even (like with Dylan Roof)?

All I'm hearing right now is "it's too soon, don't politicise this" or "we have a mental health problem, not a gun problem" (and of course they're proposing no solution to actually make mental health care more accessible to folks like this in the US so that's just empty platitudes anyway).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benguin said:

Which "same liberals" are doing those things exactly?

6 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Which "same liberals" are doing those things exactly?

The same folk who crop up from time to time whenever somebody needs something to suit their argument.

As much as I cannot stand the bloke I was delighted to see Piers Morgan, whom I believe has always been very anti-guns, calling out Trump.  

Edited by David Guiza

1 hour ago, David Guiza said:

The same folk who crop up from time to time whenever somebody needs something to suit their argument.

As much as I cannot stand the bloke I was delighted to see Piers Morgan, whom I believe has always been very anti-guns, calling out Trump.  

Shame he couldn't be fvcked to do it when he decided footage of him handing over an Arsenal shirt was what the world needed to see instead.

• Like 2