Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
VinceNoir

Nintendo Switch

29 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Anyone got Wargroove yet? Looks like a re boot of Advance Wars.

Also, the new (old) Zelda looks awesome. More of a "Zelda" experience than BOTW maybe?

I played Links Awakening on the Gameboy and was really good back then. So I would suggest this will be a good Zelda game. BOTW I wasn't a fan of. Just wasn't classic Zelda for me.

1 minute ago, kingcarr21 said:

I played Links Awakening on the Gameboy and was really good back then. So I would suggest this will be a good Zelda game. BOTW I wasn't a fan of. Just wasn't classic Zelda for me.

i've picked up and put down BOTW several times. I can see that is is an amazingly accomplished game and I really want to love it, but the "shrines" in place of traditional dungeons really kills it for me.

I just want Zelda, with dungeons and torches and chickens and bombs and stuff. 

52 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

i've picked up and put down BOTW several times. I can see that is is an amazingly accomplished game and I really want to love it, but the "shrines" in place of traditional dungeons really kills it for me.

I just want Zelda, with dungeons and torches and chickens and bombs and stuff. 

For me its all about the dungeons and boss battles in a Zelda game. Ocarina of Time and especially Twilight Princess absolutely nailed the boss battles. BOTW the bosses are awful and the 'dungeons' lack character.

BOTW is visually stunning and I still enjoyed it to an extent. I would rank it right down in my list of best Zelda games though.

7 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Also, the new (old) Zelda looks awesome. More of a "Zelda" experience than BOTW maybe?

What?! Hadn't heard of this, settled for Tiny Metal to scratch my AW itch recently but it ain't the same. I'll have a look at this later.

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

What?! Hadn't heard of this, settled for Tiny Metal to scratch my AW itch recently but it ain't the same. I'll have a look at this later.

8 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Yes to Wargroove. Haven't played loads but it's soooooo good. It genuinely feels like Advance Wars with a fantasy skin on top. Classic simple to play, hard to master. 

I'd have played £40 for it, no questions. At £16 or whatever it is, it's a no brainer. Could have got it on the Xbox but just fits the Switch perfectly.

6 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Am tempted to get Civilization VI, even though I have it on PC. To be able to play it "on the go" (or on the bog!) is very tempting. Only thing is, it doesn't have the updates (Rise and Fall / Gathering Storm) - yet.

Got it on Switch. I don't have it on PC but I've got to say, it's the first time I've actually committed to a game of Civ. I'm sure that's a reflection of the quality of Civ 6 in general, but something about it on the Switch just seems right.

Between this, Wargroove and FM touch, I feel like the Switch has become a worthwhile purchase for me. My housemate has Smash Bros and obviously we play Mario Kart every now and then but I think I'm not really a 'Nintendo' guy. I think a lot of it is nostalgia and appeals to a specific time of gamer. Heresy to say, but I really couldn't get into BOTW, as brilliantly crafted as parts of it are. I'd rather have something like The Witcher to spend 10's of hours playing.

But that's why the Switch has nailed it. It's kept old Nintendo fans but with the commitment to 3rd parties, it's brought in people who wouldn't normally opt for a Nintendo console.

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

38 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Yes to Wargroove. Haven't played loads but it's soooooo good. It genuinely feels like Advance Wars with a fantasy skin on top. Classic simple to play, hard to master. 

I'd have played £40 for it, no questions. At £16 or whatever it is, it's a no brainer. Could have got it on the Xbox but just fits the Switch perfectly.

Absolutely loved the Advance Wars series. It has a massive following so I don't understand why they haven't released a Switch version - it would be perfect for it

• Like 1

I am playing Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze at the moment. Clearing one level a day with all KONG letters and puzzle pieces. What a masterpiece of a 2D platformer that really is.

My favorite level is a flippin water one as well:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

I am playing Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze at the moment. Clearing one level a day with all KONG letters and puzzle pieces. What a masterpiece of a 2D platformer that really is.

My favorite level is a flippin water one as well:

I remember the old DK Country on SNES. Me and my mate sat up for hours trying to finish it. There was one level with the minecarts which was an absolute bastard to do! Brilliant game though. Not played this one. My only gripe with the Switch is the price of some of the games! 

15 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

I remember the old DK Country on SNES. Me and my mate sat up for hours trying to finish it. There was one level with the minecarts which was an absolute bastard to do! Brilliant game though. Not played this one. My only gripe with the Switch is the price of some of the games! 

I bought this one for my wife, who was a huge DK Country fan. This was a very good follow up, but those minecart levels are still impossible lol

6 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

played the free download tetris last night. Haven't got a clue what is going on, but hey - it's Tetris so what's not to like?

Ultimately its just last-man-standing tetris, not much more to it.

Your 'clears' count as 'attacks' on whoever you're targetting; The attacks queue up and if you don't clear enough lines to prevent them, they'll come in as the grey lines at the bottom and make life difficult for you. High combos and back-to-backs tetrises make attacks stronger I believe.

You can pick who you attack with the right stick (depending one what controls you've set up) from one of four options, or choose manually with the left stick. I find it pointless picking specific people at the start and too manic to do so at the end so I just use the pre-sets. Random is the default and is as it says, KOs will change your target to someone close to being knocked out, Attackers will multi-target everyone targetting you, and Badges will go for the people with the most number of those chevron-things. Not sure how you earn those (score/KOs I think) but essentially itll be the 'best' players who have high badges.

I tend to put it on 'Attackers' from the beginning so my own game is less disrupted and just aim to keep going until its basically a war of attrition. Unless I cock-up early on or have a ridiculous number of people on me it's easy to get in the top third and usually place in the top 10 or thereabouts.

Edit to add: Looked it up and apparently badges come from KOs. You get one fragment from knocking someone out as well as whatever they had. Each full badge (up to 4) makes your attacks 25% more powerful, although you then become a prime target...

Edited by Xen

Yeah DKCR:Tropical Freeze is expensive on the Switch, even more expensive than the original, which is madness for a port. But I believe the digital version is on a 33% discount right now making it a pretty decent deal.

Still, it really is a fantastic game if you like 2D platformers. The level design is dazzling and the music from David Wise is pure bliss for the ears all the way through. I am all smiles playing this.

Good thing about the Switch version is, that is comes with an 'easy' mode in Funky Kong mode, where you can play with Funky Kong (who comes with 5 lives, double jump, jump flutter and a surfboard that protects against spiky ground) or with Donkey Kong (who then comes with 3 lives instead of 2 and when he pick up an ally they get 3 instead of 2 lives too). That makes the game less challenging obviously, but let you enjoy the game a lot more with less death and replaying of levels. Of course, if you are into hard as nails gameplay, then you can still play on normal mode and even unlock a hard mode.

Tetris 99 looks nuts. That will probably become my go to toilet game for a while... :D

42 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

Yeah DKCR:Tropical Freeze is expensive on the Switch, even more expensive than the original, which is madness for a port. But I believe the digital version is on a 33% discount right now making it a pretty decent deal.

Still, it really is a fantastic game if you like 2D platformers. The level design is dazzling and the music from David Wise is pure bliss for the ears all the way through. I am all smiles playing this.

Good thing about the Switch version is, that is comes with an 'easy' mode in Funky Kong mode, where you can play with Funky Kong (who comes with 5 lives, double jump, jump flutter and a surfboard that protects against spiky ground) or with Donkey Kong (who then comes with 3 lives instead of 2 and when he pick up an ally they get 3 instead of 2 lives too). That makes the game less challenging obviously, but let you enjoy the game a lot more with less death and replaying of levels. Of course, if you are into hard as nails gameplay, then you can still play on normal mode and even unlock a hard mode.

Tetris 99 looks nuts. That will probably become my go to toilet game for a while... :D

It does look good but the current "special offer" still makes is £ 33.49 which is a big chunk of cash for a port like this. For £10 - £15 i'd be all over it but the price point is just too high for me

17 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Well i can't get the Switch to read any game card? Just get the error message saying card can't be read. 

Anyone encountered this issue? 

cheers 

@kingcarr21

for the now missing response

Tried rebooting and spraying some canned air in but no luck

Rang Nintendo - will have to go back to them. They helpfully quoted the repair cost will be "somewhere between £53 and £157". (although he expects it to be the lower end of that scale!

Edited by stripeyfox

9 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

That proper sucks @stripeyfox 

Hope you'll get it fixed soon and that will not be too expensive. I have never had any issues with Nintendo hardware, but can imagine the frustration. 

Yeah same. I've owned every console since the SNES and all the handhelds and never ever had a problem with any of it. I registered the repair online tonight and they've emailed me a freepost label for it. Just got to get it packaged up tomorrow and sent off. Hopefully won't take too long to come back! 

Undertale's 33% on the Nintendo store right now so I've picked it up because few games get as much hype and yet I've never actually played it.  Going to have to sit on the backburner for a while though because War Groove has been a revelation of a game, I'm so glad it got mentioned on here.

On 25/02/2019 at 23:35, Carl the Llama said:

Undertale's 33% on the Nintendo store right now so I've picked it up because few games get as much hype and yet I've never actually played it.  Going to have to sit on the backburner for a while though because War Groove has been a revelation of a game, I'm so glad it got mentioned on here.

How are you finding Wargroove? Most of what I've read is positive, but there is some criticism that it might be a bit rock paper scissors for all units?

42 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

How are you finding Wargroove? Most of what I've read is positive, but there is some criticism that it might be a bit rock paper scissors for all units?

If you liked Advance Wars then it's definitely worth getting.  The campaign is a lot of fun although the AI can be a bit predictable.  It has an online and arcade mode too but I haven't tried those out yet. I can't say I really understand the rock paper scissors critique: Some units are more/less effective against others and it's up to you to deploy your troops with those strengths/weaknesses in mind, that's pretty much the basis of all turn-based strategy so if it's a criticism then you don't like the genre in general, not just this specific game.

5 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

If you liked Advance Wars then it's definitely worth getting.  The campaign is a lot of fun although the AI can be a bit predictable.  It has an online and arcade mode too but I haven't tried those out yet. I can't say I really understand the rock paper scissors critique: Some units are more/less effective against others and it's up to you to deploy your troops with those strengths/weaknesses in mind, that's pretty much the basis of all turn-based strategy so if it's a criticism then you don't like the genre in general, not just this specific game.

I loved Advance Wars. Not so much the campaign but just playing a map against the AI. I had one legendary "Battle of Kita Strait" which descended into an almost endless war with neither side being able to gain much of an advantage.

Might pick this up when the Switch come back from repair!

• 2 weeks later...