Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
VinceNoir

Nintendo Switch

29 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

Wow @stripeyfox You have not having the best of luck with your Switch. Hopefully that is all the bad karma on consols for your lifetime now.

yeah it's not ideal. I'm going to have another go at cleaning it tonight (apparently it is caused by dust getting "under" the control stick leading to false inputs)

If no luck then probably buy either a new set or a pro controller and then send the exisitng joycons back to Nintendo for repair - I'm assuming it shouldn't cost too much for the repair!

Update on the dodgy control stick. Decided to have another go at fixing last night using some advice from Reddit. Used some more compressed air and then a dash of WD-40, let it dry then another blast of air and for now at least, it is working. I don't expect it will last forever but seems to be ok for now

EDIT: Spoke to soon, it's fooked again! Now the control stick drifts to the right though!

Have ordered a new set!

Edited by stripeyfox

Been playing Gems of War. A free game so always worth a go. Decent enough but a lot to get your head around.

One of my favourite ever game series has been released now on the Switch. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy. £30 though so I wont buy it as I already have it on the DS.

You play as a Defence lawyer and each case has you with a defendant that looks blatantly guilty going off the evidence, but as you investigate you look for contradictions which ends up having the case you are working on flipping on its head. If you like good plot twists then this is the best game for it. The thing is a lot of the plot twists you need to work out yourself with the evidence you have to hand. Then in the court room you interrogate witnesses and present your contradictions in order to figure out how the crime was committed.

It might sound boring but I promise you each case you work on, on first look, I can guarantee you wont guess how it ends lol.

I've been trying to get people to play this game for years, I'm still yet to find anybody else who has played it out of all my mates. Hours of gameplay and some real head scratching moments trying to work things out its quite rewarding. Sometimes you will know who has committed the crime but cant work out how they did it.

If any of you ever watched Johnathan Creek its that sort of crime solving.

Some really good games coming out now for the Switch. I love this console (despite the hardware problems I've had). Can't wait for the new Zelda game (which looks much more "Zelda" like than BOTW).

Love having Civilization on Switch too. 

Never played Ace Attorney @kingcarr21 but sounds alright - not paying £30 for it though! - I literally don't understand how you manage to play all these games? Don't you ever sleep? lol

Controller Update: Brought a new set which arrived on Saturday. Got the dodgy set packed up and will send back to Nintendo using their pre paid label. Hopefully shouldn't sting me too much to repair and then will have a working spare set!

Edited by stripeyfox

24 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Some really good games coming out now for the Switch. I love this console (despite the hardware problems I've had). Can't wait for the new Zelda game (which looks much more "Zelda" like than BOTW).

Love having Civilization on Switch too. 

Never played Ace Attorney @kingcarr21 but sounds alright - not paying £30 for it though! - I literally don't understand how you manage to play all these games? Don't you ever sleep? lol

Controller Update: Brought a new set which arrived on Saturday. Got the dodgy set packed up and will send back to Nintendo using their pre paid label. Hopefully shouldn't sting me too much to repair and then will have a working spare set!

lol Ive always lived knowing as long as I get 6 hours sleep then I am fine the next day. So I always make time to play on a game. Always been a gamer and the wife hates it lol.

Ace Attorney will end up half price at least. As I said previously its a game that not many people go for. It's certainly a hidden gem in my eyes.

Give it a few months and it will end up say £15. Which is a bargain.

I am playing Mario+Rabbids again. This time I will complete it, as I already have purchased the Donkey Kong DLC for it. Great game with a fun twist on the XCOM styled turnbased strategy. The World 3 boss is probably one of the greatest bosses I have ever encountered; I was sat in on the sofa with my headset on  and just started clapping after that boss fight making my girlfriend believe my plot was gone for real this time. :D 

I love my Switch too and I really enjoy the indies game scene has taken to it to fill the gaps between the major Nintendo headliners.

I gonna dig into this, when it comes out in a few weeks:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Been playing Gems of War. A free game so always worth a go. Decent enough but a lot to get your head around.

One of my favourite ever game series has been released now on the Switch. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy. £30 though so I wont buy it as I already have it on the DS.

You play as a Defence lawyer and each case has you with a defendant that looks blatantly guilty going off the evidence, but as you investigate you look for contradictions which ends up having the case you are working on flipping on its head. If you like good plot twists then this is the best game for it. The thing is a lot of the plot twists you need to work out yourself with the evidence you have to hand. Then in the court room you interrogate witnesses and present your contradictions in order to figure out how the crime was committed.

It might sound boring but I promise you each case you work on, on first look, I can guarantee you wont guess how it ends lol.

I've been trying to get people to play this game for years, I'm still yet to find anybody else who has played it out of all my mates. Hours of gameplay and some real head scratching moments trying to work things out its quite rewarding. Sometimes you will know who has committed the crime but cant work out how they did it.

If any of you ever watched Johnathan Creek its that sort of crime solving.

Ace Attorney is class and one I'm ashamed I've not given more attention to the series after playing the first one but the £30 price tag for a trio of 15-18 year old GBA games is a bit steep, definitely a sale purchase.

Bit of an update on Valkyria Chronicles 4, I know it's a bit late now that the sale on it's over but I didn't really have enough of a picture to recommend for or against purchasing it at the time, but now that I'm around halfway through the main campaign I can give better insight:

I was concerned that the early story made it seem like the game was going to be a drawn out exercise in tired tropes hence my hesitation to recommend it and although that's still certainly true the main storyline improves drastically a few missions in, especially if you're the sort who easily falls for exposition dumps hidden as in-game libraries in which case you'll find you become heavily invested in the game world as you unlock each new entry.  If you're not one for reading extra entries outside of the main campaign then it will still make sense but you won't be getting the full story.

As for the gameplay:  I previously described it as looking like Advance Wars JRPG but it would be more accurately described as an Xcom-Lite JRPG.  Early missions taught me that you can get away with discarding tactics altogether by running and gunning your way to a quick and easy top rating (the system is based purely on how many rounds it takes for you to achieve the victory condition), but the missions have been getting progressively harder making you think a bit more about how you go about said running and gunning and there is enough variety in staging and troop availability to keep you interested from mission to mission.  I do still wish there was an option to make the AI more unforgiving though because there have been so many times where I've overextended myself without being punished: A classic example being the reluctance to use units more than once in a given turn so although I might use the same person 3 times to make sure they kill a dangerously placed tank unit before my round is over and it gets to do some damage, the AI will frequently move into position, fire on my unit without killing it, then end their turn with 4 or 5 CP (moves) still left to them that turn and their unit now sitting in an easy position to pick off.  There's also a combo attack mechanic where some characters have affinity with each other and will perform a special move if they're in close proximity when one of them attacks but I've not yet actually used one despite how far in I am so it seems like a bit of a wasted mechanic, I presume smart use of it will be key to getting a perfect ranking in later missions.  All in all though it's satisfying fun and there are some cool mechanics (for instance if you scout an enemy then your artillery unit can lock onto them if in range even if you don't have direct line of sight, running a tank into an enemy crouching behind sandbags breaks their cover making them far easier to pick off etc.).  The fun of the game outweighs the negatives so I would recommend it to anybody into strategy games but not at full price.  If you haven't bought it already I'd suggest adding it to your watch list for the next time it gets put on sale.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Bit the bullet and brought Skyrim. Bit daft spending £25 on it but I don't care. Absolutely love it and the fact I now have it on handheld makes it well worth it. Cant wait for my flight to Australia now. Just hope the battery lasts a while lol 

Hmmm, tempted by Skyrim. Have it on PS3 and PS4 I think but the portability of the Switch might make me get it again..... More money than sense, me(that's more due to not much sense than a large amount of money!lol

Have you got a spare charger for the flight @kingcarr21? Don't reckon the Switch will last an entire flight to Perth!

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

Hmmm, tempted by Skyrim. Have it on PS3 and PS4 I think but the portability of the Switch might make me get it again..... More money than sense, me(that's more due to not much sense than a large amount of money!lol

Have you got a spare charger for the flight @kingcarr21? Don't reckon the Switch will last an entire flight to Perth!

Oh no way, the switch will prob last about 4 hours playing Skyrim but I am taking my DS and my PS Vita to help pass the time lol. Ill take my charger with me but its a solid plug so hopefully I can charge it a little in Dubai when we stop off. Not likely though.

8 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Oh no way, the switch will prob last about 4 hours playing Skyrim but I am taking my DS and my PS Vita to help pass the time lol. Ill take my charger with me but its a solid plug so hopefully I can charge it a little in Dubai when we stop off. Not likely though.

FFS!. Glad I'm not behind you in security check whilst you empty your bag full of electronics!lol

Fly first class mate, then you get your own charging socket!

14 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

FFS!. Glad I'm not behind you in security check whilst you empty your bag full of electronics!lol

Fly first class mate, then you get your own charging socket!

Ive just looked and Economy class has a plug socket on every other seat. Each seat has a USB port also. So looks like Skyrim will be getting destroyed. Happy Days

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kingcarr21 said:

Hopefully that's the seat they give me on my return flight.

It's actually a three room suite (but I think it's on Etihad, not Emirates). You get the"living" area shown in the picture, there's a private bathroom with shower in the middle and a bedroom at the end!

Anyway, we digress somewhat from the thread topic...lol

• Haha 1

This sale is killing me, so many titles I want but I can't possibly justify getting them all so hopefully you chaps can help here.  The ones on my watch list are:

LA Noire - £14.99 (down from £44.99)

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate - £28.99 (down from £49.99)

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - £33.29 (down from £49.99)

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle Gold Edition - £24.99 (down from £49.99)

Dark Souls Remastered - £24.49 (down from £34.99) (I have DS2 Scholar of the First Sin on PC which I've never completed because I'm an idiot who didn't realise they were buying the hard edition of apparently the hardest game in the series... I'm wondering if going back to the start will teach me how to git gud lol)

LA Noire's obviously the best saving but that's not the only criteria I'm interested in so if anybody's played at least a couple of those listed and can offer comparisons on play time/replayability/value for money I'd be grateful for the advice.

On 18/04/2019 at 15:37, Jonezy said:

If you want some XCOM styled combat with a twist, I can recommend Mario+Rabbids strongly. I am having a ton of fun with it and just beat the end boss today. 

I am partial to a good turn based strategy game, I've been cautious with getting this one because - at the risk of sounding like a smug twat - I worry there isn't enough of a challenge.  Is that a fair concern?

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

I am partial to a good turn based strategy game, I've been cautious with getting this one because - at the risk of sounding like a smug twat - I worry there isn't enough of a challenge.  Is that a fair concern?

The challenge is about right. There is a reward for getting a perfect score on each level and some of them are pretty hard to get. Also you team consists of 3 characters and with a pool of 8 characters to choose from (at the end), you can approach each level very differently, as each character has their own unique skill set. I used the same 3 most of the game, so can basically start over with a new team and have a whole other experience (though you need Mario in your team at all times). Trust me, this is good stuff. But look at a few trailers and your gut feeling will tell you if it is for you or not. :)

19 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

If you play like me, which I suspect you do, explore every area whenever it says go left you immediately look right to see what’s hidden, then you will get lots of unlocks and power orbs and coins to boost your team. Which means it is very easy to be overpowered for a match up and the tactical team choice is only relevant to a few stages mostly I stuck to the same 3 and it rarely took more than 2 attempts.

I really enjoyed it as a game but it wasn’t the most challenging, same for donkey kong dlc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So much for getting Skyrim for my flight lol. I cant put it down. What a game. Played it so many times and yet providing I have a long enough break between playing I just fall in love with it again and do missions that I'm sure ive never done before lol 

I think its right up there as best game ever for me. Simply because I've put in so many hours and still love it. Roll on the next elder scrolls game (that isn't online)