Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
VinceNoir

Nintendo Switch

13 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

They've updated Wargroove and changed the strong/weak against icons so now you actually have a clue what they're supposed to be. :appl:

sounds good. Still haven't got it though. I am still Switch-less. Nintendo have had my console for over a week and I I just got an email saying they are stocktaking and there will be a three week delay!

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is 50% off right now.  Have any of my fellow weebs played the game and can you advise on how good it is?  Looks like Advance Wars meets JRPGs, both being game styles I traditionally enjoy I'm leaning towards lumping in on it but if anybody knows better I'm eager to hear it.

10 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Valkyria Chronicles 4 is 50% off right now.  Have any of my fellow weebs played the game and can you advise on how good it is?  Looks like Advance Wars meets JRPGs, both being game styles I traditionally enjoy I'm leaning towards lumping in on it but if anybody knows better I'm eager to hear it.

Ive looked at that game loads of times and not gone for it. I would also like to know if its worth a punt. Just got Football Manager for the Switch ready for my flight to Australia

17 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Its a pretty cool take on turn based strategy, but its very long and very anime. I had it on PS3 but never got far. Check out a few trailers maybe to see if its something you would like to commit to.

On 15/03/2019 at 08:11, kingcarr21 said:

Ive looked at that game loads of times and not gone for it. I would also like to know if its worth a punt. Just got Football Manager for the Switch ready for my flight to Australia

So I've had a bit of a go on it. I'm not very far in and looking at all the upgrades and such available it looks like the game could well be a slow burner, it doesn't help that for every playable mission it makes you sit through a cut-scene and return to the menu where the next cut scene is now unlocked and needs to be watched to unlock the next cut scene etc. until after 4 or 5 when the mission finally becomes available (at least the scenes are short).

Gameplay is a bit more basic than I was expecting, however with so many variables between your troops I'm anticipating a difficulty spike later down the line, for now I'm 5 or so missions in and still getting tutorials.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

So I've had a bit of a go on it. I'm not very far in and looking at all the upgrades and such available it looks like the game could well be a slow burner, it doesn't help that for every playable mission it makes you sit through a cut-scene and return to the menu where the next cut scene is now unlocked and needs to be watched to unlock the next cut scene etc. until after 4 or 5 when the mission finally becomes available (at least the scenes are short).

Gameplay is a bit more basic than I was expecting, however with so many variables between your troops I'm anticipating a difficulty spike later down the line, for now I'm 5 or so missions in and still getting tutorials.

Thanks for that, keep us posted on how the game develops, sounds like it could all of a sudden open up and become difficult to master if there are so many things to learn.

On 15/03/2019 at 08:11, kingcarr21 said:

I got last years FMT on the Switch. I found the controls a bit cumbersome but as someone who grew up playing various Football Management games on all sorts of computers, I can just sit back and appreciate that you have full functioning Football Manager in the palm of you hand! 

On 14/03/2019 at 21:48, Carl the Llama said:

I think I had this on the PS3 but didn't really get into it. It comes well recommended though.

How are you finding Wargroove after a few weeks to get into it?

24 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I think I had this on the PS3 but didn't really get into it. It comes well recommended though.

How are you finding Wargroove after a few weeks to get into it?

Wargroove is the bomb, annihilated the campaign and now I'm dipping in and out of arcade mode. Online is a bit of a let down which is a shame but you can't have it all...

• Like 1

Switch Repair update - finally received the console back from Nintendo today. They've done a spiffing job of it, I'm pretty sure they've fitted a new screen as it is absolutely flawless now (and it wasn't before - even though that wasn't the fault). They've also fixed the kickstand (not requested) and there's a letter saying I have a new 12 month warranty on it.

My son has soldiered on without Fortnite for a month so he's going to be thrilled when he gets home (not sure I will though)

Might take the plunge with Wargroove later....

• Like 4

On 19/03/2019 at 14:10, Carl the Llama said:

Wargroove is the bomb, annihilated the campaign and now I'm dipping in and out of arcade mode. Online is a bit of a let down which is a shame but you can't have it all...

I got Wargroove last night. Am only a few missions in to the campaign mode but liking it so far. Do you have to complete Campaign to unlock Arcade mode? Does that allow you to set up your own battles like in Advance Wars?

On 21/03/2019 at 17:09, Carl the Llama said:

The tutorial is the Dark Souls of platformers

Is cuphead out on the switch?

I always thought it was the perfect game for it, but I thought Microsoft brought the rights or exclusivity for it? 

Might be wrong... And if so, I'm getting it!

On 26/03/2019 at 14:27, stripeyfox said:

I got Wargroove last night. Am only a few missions in to the campaign mode but liking it so far. Do you have to complete Campaign to unlock Arcade mode? Does that allow you to set up your own battles like in Advance Wars?

Yeah you unlock different characters for arcade mode after certain missions.  Map creation is in the Custom option on the main menu ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took a punt on the Switch version of Civilization VI at the weekend (had some spare CEX vouchers and they happened to have a cartridge copy in stock).

Pleasantly surprised! I already have it on PC but it is undeniably nice to be able to sit on the sofa playing it in handheld mode whilst watching the TV.

Controls take a little bit of getting used to but actually they're pretty intuitive and if anything "slowing down" the mouse point and click of the PC version has lead to more thinking time and decision making.

The game doesn't include the expansions of the PC version but it otherwise the full fat Civ VI game [and rumour is the expansions are on their way to Switch).

Not sure if anyone else on here is still playing, but Tetris 99 is having another free event this weekend to win £9.99. Unlike last time which was top 999 players by #wins in the US and random (once qualified) in the EU, this one is points-based, with more points each game for higher finishes. Going to be a pretty grind-y weekend, but I've got a pretty decent win ratio now so fancy my chances of finishing top 1k :)

7 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

anyone had issues with joy con "drift"? The stick on my left joy con "drifts" upwards during gameplay. Tried re setting, re calibrating, blasting it with compressed air but no luck.

Was going to buy some more but a new set is about £60!

Yeah, mine started doing that about 2 or 3 months after I got the Switch. It was infuriating reaching the top of a cliff in Zelda only for Link to suddenly charge off in a random direction. I never bothered getting it fixed though. I picked up the pro controller instead and it's a dream to use.

There are a few tutorials and tips out there if you want to fix it. Nevertheless, it's totally unacceptable that the pads are so flawed. And very unlike nintendo as well.

2 hours ago, VinceNoir said:

Yeah, mine started doing that about 2 or 3 months after I got the Switch. It was infuriating reaching the top of a cliff in Zelda only for Link to suddenly charge off in a random direction. I never bothered getting it fixed though. I picked up the pro controller instead and it's a dream to use.

There are a few tutorials and tips out there if you want to fix it. Nevertheless, it's totally unacceptable that the pads are so flawed. And very unlike nintendo as well.

might take a look at that - didn't know the pro controller existed.

Nintendo did give me a new 1 year warranty after they repaired the switch but I don't know if this extends to the joy cons. I'll call them and ask. 

Edit: Spoke to Nintendo. They weren't sure if the new warranty covered the joy cons or not but they've raised a repair note so I can send them back and they will tell me how much to repair. Might buy a new set (or a Pro) and then get them repaired as a spare.

Edited by stripeyfox