Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
VinceNoir

Nintendo Switch

13 hours ago, orangecity23 said:

BotW mixes up the formula that they've been sticking too since Link to the Past on the SNES. Since LttP, it's basically been a run through 8(ish) dungeons in order on the overworld, with a new key item in each dungeon that gets used extensively in that dungeon to solve puzzles as well as beat the boss, before a big showdown with Gannon(dorf).

In BotW, they give you all your key items up front, and the order you tackle things in is completely open. There are still 4 decent dungeons, where you can get some very useful (but non essential) power up moves that make the final boss a lot easier. The map is covered with lots of tiny hidden shrines, with each one containing a puzzle room (or combat room), which is a lot like a single room you might find in a traditional dungeon with some kind of goodies inside (piece of heart etc). If you are a madman, you can try and storm Ganon's castle right at the beginning. You'll almost certainly die, but the option is open.

I'm a big fan of traditional Zelda, but still loved Breath of the Wild. There was still more than enough of the traditional Zelda roots there for me, in the combat and the shrine puzzles. The physics engine in the game is excellent, so combat is a joy, and you can take on enemy encounters in any way you choose. The overworld is pretty stunning, and it's nice to just adventure round it exploring nooks and crannies just for the hell of it.

Looking forward to the sequel, I enjoyed the storyline dynamic between Link and Zelda last time, so hopefully we get a lot more of that this time. Would be great to have some unique dungeons back with some cool bosses, would be cracking to take on some big Dodongos or a dragon or something like that. Also, thinking about the potential to add things like the hookshot into this physics engine would be incredible.

For me its all about the boss fights in a Zelda game. Ocarina of Time was sooooo good for its boss fights. Twilight Princess bosses were ace. I love the dungeon aspect of finding the item needed to beat the dungeon, each temple in OoT was well thought out (even the dreaded water temple).

The dungeons in BOTW were ok but the bosses were just pants. The fact they took Ganons health down to half after beating all dungeons killed it for me also. Just didn't sit well with me. The final Ganon boss when on horseback was too easy also.

Its weird cause everything else about BOTW I liked. Although it was too easy to make food which basically made you invincible. I never tried the hard mode so I'm sure that would have corrected the food problems but it was just the boss fights that killed any thought of it being better than previous Zelda games. Loved the shrines and combat was great. Then the ratings were 10/10 and I just couldn't forgive the bosses in the game. Solid 7/10 for me and a decent Zelda game but personally I love Twilight Princess and for nostalgia OoT and Majoras Mask I adored as a kid

1 hour ago, kingcarr21 said:

For me its all about the boss fights in a Zelda game. Ocarina of Time was sooooo good for its boss fights. Twilight Princess bosses were ace. I love the dungeon aspect of finding the item needed to beat the dungeon, each temple in OoT was well thought out (even the dreaded water temple).

The dungeons in BOTW were ok but the bosses were just pants. The fact they took Ganons health down to half after beating all dungeons killed it for me also. Just didn't sit well with me. The final Ganon boss when on horseback was too easy also.

Its weird cause everything else about BOTW I liked. Although it was too easy to make food which basically made you invincible. I never tried the hard mode so I'm sure that would have corrected the food problems but it was just the boss fights that killed any thought of it being better than previous Zelda games. Loved the shrines and combat was great. Then the ratings were 10/10 and I just couldn't forgive the bosses in the game. Solid 7/10 for me and a decent Zelda game but personally I love Twilight Princess and for nostalgia OoT and Majoras Mask I adored as a kid

I would love it if they remade Ocarina Of Time - was one of the epic games of my youth (along with Super Mario 64) and would love to replay it again with modern graphics as I'm sure the gameplay would still stand up. 

6 minutes ago, syston_fox said:

I would love it if they remade Ocarina Of Time - was one of the epic games of my youth (along with Super Mario 64) and would love to replay it again with modern graphics as I'm sure the gameplay would still stand up. 

Would be great but I think if they wanted to go for modern graphics then I would focus on a brand new Zelda adventure. I don't think a remake would stand up to the original just simply down to how revolutionary the original was in the gaming industry. 3D open world and Z targeting in OoT changed the way games were made moving forward. A remake, as good as it could potentially be, just will not beat the original imo.

Would love to fight Volvagia in the Fire temple again with modern graphics. Smashing his face with a hammer again would be so satisfying lol 

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Rusko187 said:

Just arrived yesterday, had a very brief go and seems very good.

I've had it a few days and I'm still a bit disappointed they've replaced 100 Mario with Endless but I've just had my first go at online vs play and it's brilliant.  Some of the shenanigans you can get up to (and fall victim to) in mano-a-mano mario make you genuinely laugh out loud.  Not to mention all the inventive levels people have already designed for it and we're only on the first week of release.  Can see very long legs in this one.

That thing will sell loads I’m sure. Especially in Japan with their handheld market. 

It’s a bit odd launching a handheld only device under the Switch brand. Completely defeats the “Switch” purpose and could end up causing the same level of confusion among consumers as with the Wii/Wii U. 

Edited by VinceNoir

15 hours ago, VinceNoir said:

That thing will sell loads I’m sure. Especially in Japan with their handheld market. 

It’s a bit odd launching a handheld only device under the Switch brand. Completely defeats the “Switch” purpose and could end up causing the same level of confusion among consumers as with the Wii/Wii U. 

yeah it's hard to see how it "fits" the brand. My son said "what's the point of that?" when I showed him!

Would still consider getting one though!

20 hours ago, VinceNoir said:

4 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

yeah it's hard to see how it "fits" the brand. My son said "what's the point of that?" when I showed him!

Would still consider getting one though!

I think it's a smart move.  Whenever I use handheld mode the controllers feel a bit sketchy in their brackets, the little bit of give there makes me paranoid about damaging the controllers or the tablet if I apply a bit too much pressure during a tense moment.  A purpose built handheld version would eliminate that completely and presumably have a longer battery life (not that it's been much of an issue for the current console tbf).  I certainly wouldn't expect it to rival the main console for sales in the UK but I think there's probably enough of a market amongst people who regularly play their Switch on the move or those who have so far abstained over the price.

I agree it's a bit paradoxical to the brand name to release a handheld only version but it's still using the exact same game cartridges so surely it would be even more confusing for consumers if they gave it its own branding entirely.

3 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Patiently waiting for Nintendo to make a handheld N64. Can you imagine playing Jet Force Gemini or Blast Corps on the bus lol 

If they put something other than NES games on their online subscription, we could be doing that with the Switch! Surely its about time for at least the SNES games to make it on there, would be great to play Link to the Past to get in the spirit of things before the Link's Awakening remake appears.

Still, big summer sale has hit the eShop, and Resident Evil 4 is finally down to 20 quid, aka the price it should have been at launch instead of 30 (Bloody Capcom), so its time for some portable Gamecube action ha.

12 hours ago, orangecity23 said:

If they put something other than NES games on their online subscription, we could be doing that with the Switch! Surely its about time for at least the SNES games to make it on there, would be great to play Link to the Past to get in the spirit of things before the Link's Awakening remake appears.

Still, big summer sale has hit the eShop, and Resident Evil 4 is finally down to 20 quid, aka the price it should have been at launch instead of 30 (Bloody Capcom), so its time for some portable Gamecube action ha.

If they made their online service include SNES, N64 and Gamecube games then the Switch would be a million times better. I've barely touched the NES games so far.

Imagine switching from Diddy Kong racing to banjo kazooie. Amazing

4 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

If they made their online service include SNES, N64 and Gamecube games then the Switch would be a million times better. I've barely touched the NES games so far.

Imagine switching from Diddy Kong racing to banjo kazooie. Amazing

Shut up and take my money!!!!

• Haha 1

My lad got Mario Party for his Birthday. Finding it great fun with the kids of school. Very addictive tho, even found me and the wife playing it last night once the kids went bed. 

Although found my competitive nature coming out. Hated the computer getting 3 or 4 stars ahead at one point lol

He's also asking about 1 2 switch, wife says there's loads for sale online. Is that a bad sign.

I know it's discontinued so not sure if people are trying to make money or selling cuz it's crap.

Any advice gratefully received.

15 hours ago, Bayfox said:

He's also asking about 1 2 switch, wife says there's loads for sale online. Is that a bad sign.

I know it's discontinued so not sure if people are trying to make money or selling cuz it's crap.

Any advice gratefully received.

I’ve never played it but I’ve heard its quite good. It’s the game that teaches you what the switch is capable of through mini games I think.

very similar to what Wii Sports was for the Wii. Should be able to pick it up really cheap now 

On 20/07/2019 at 18:36, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

Has anybody that has super smash bros had a problem with the controller seemingly auto pressing block all the time. The only way I can get it to stop is to home screen it and go back into the game?

Do you have any issues with your controllers for other games? I have heard that a lot of people have issues with their joycons "drifting." 

I'll be treating myself to the Lite in September. Perfect for me as I fancy the idea of being able to take proper console games out and about but I'd get no use out of it in docked mode.

Any essentials to pick up, particularly exclusives? I've never really been a Nintendo fan so will probably give Mario and co. a miss but Breath of the Wild looks right up my street despite never having touched a Zelda game. My first purchases will likely be stuff already out on other platforms that I've just never found time for, like Cuphead and Dead Cells, and Stardew Valley is a must. Anything else that's particularly well suited to handheld gaming?

On 27/07/2019 at 01:15, Guest said:

I'll be treating myself to the Lite in September. Perfect for me as I fancy the idea of being able to take proper console games out and about but I'd get no use out of it in docked mode.

Any essentials to pick up, particularly exclusives? I've never really been a Nintendo fan so will probably give Mario and co. a miss but Breath of the Wild looks right up my street despite never having touched a Zelda game. My first purchases will likely be stuff already out on other platforms that I've just never found time for, like Cuphead and Dead Cells, and Stardew Valley is a must. Anything else that's particularly well suited to handheld gaming?

I cant stress enough just how good Mario Odyssey is. Brilliant game and would be a shame for you to miss out on it.

On 27/07/2019 at 01:15, Guest said:

BOTW is no doubt a great game and if you like it then great, but the irony is that BOTW is probably the most un-Zelda like game of the series. You should check out some of the others for sure (on old formats) if you can

• Like 2