Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
VinceNoir

Nintendo Switch

22 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Finally found my first Great Fairy, no idea how I missed the massive flower bud and pink smoke 😂. Now to solve the quest. 

Each time I go into the depths it worries me just how little of the map I have opened up. 

Also is there a way to create arrows? I find that I am constantly running out of them

not sure if you can craft them but I just find a Bokoblin that uses a bow, trigger their attacks and run round in circles, the arrows hit the floor and you can collect them

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Doctor said:

not sure if you can craft them but I just find a Bokoblin that uses a bow, trigger their attacks and run round in circles, the arrows hit the floor and you can collect them

Nice idea. Just spam attacks and collect a bunch. Thanks for that.

So after doing the first fairy quest I've now done all of them. Pretty easy. So now I have a much better defence I feel like I can take more risks now. 

I am currently in the middle of deciphering the ancient text now, the quest in Kakariko Village. Whilst just collecting all sorts of items along the way in the hope I can better my defences. Got quite a lot of side quests to do I am doing my absolute best to avoid the last phenomena and just pick up shrines along the way. I have done 72 shrines 

Wife is on a hen do this weekend so I have played Zelda all day with the football on in background.

After so much exploring I decided to go to the 4th Phenomena. I am about to fight the boss. Quite enjoyed this dungeon. 

Althought this is the 4th phenomena it will be my 5th seed. So I believe the story will ramp up after I do this boss. Which I don't mind. I've put some hours into this game already and feel like I have explored enough for the time being. 

The Depths is the real area I need to explore. I find that's where I waste my arrows shooting seeds to light the place up

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Wife is on a hen do this weekend so I have played Zelda all day with the football on in background.

After so much exploring I decided to go to the 4th Phenomena. I am about to fight the boss. Quite enjoyed this dungeon. 

Althought this is the 4th phenomena it will be my 5th seed. So I believe the story will ramp up after I do this boss. Which I don't mind. I've put some hours into this game already and feel like I have explored enough for the time being. 

The Depths is the real area I need to explore. I find that's where I waste my arrows shooting seeds to light the place up

According to my Switch I have played TOTK for 30 hours or more so far

I am still yet to do any of the phenomena, in fact I have barely even touched any of the main story

I still have the Crisis at Hyrule Castle quest line, with my next step being to go and speak to Purah after activating the Skview Tower!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kingcarr21 said:

You can throw them :) Press R and then up on the d-pad to select from a list of materials. Sort by most used and it should be relatively easy to find the brightbloom seeds. Obviously doesn’t have the same range as when fusing it to an arrow so you’ll probably have to use more to light up whole areas, but with all the caves and tunnels around, I never drop lower than 50-60 seeds anyway. They’re much easier to find than arrows, and arrows are waaaay more essential in the rest of the game so the less you waste the better.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I am still yet to do any of the phenomena, in fact I have barely even touched any of the main story

I still have the Crisis at Hyrule Castle quest line, with my next step being to go and speak to Purah after activating the Skview Tower!

That's crazy. Think you need to start doing some so you get some cool things. Won't say anymore 

2 minutes ago, VinceNoir said:

You can throw them :) Press R and then up on the d-pad to select from a list of materials. Sort by most used and it should be relatively easy to find the brightbloom seeds. Obviously doesn’t have the same range as when fusing it to an arrow so you’ll probably have to use more to light up whole areas, but with all the caves and tunnels around, I never drop lower than 50-60 seeds anyway. They’re much easier to find than arrows, and arrows are waaaay more essential in the rest of the game so the less you waste the better.

I had no idea I could just throw them, obviously I can do that why on earth have I not thought about that 😂.

I've got over 300 seeds Im Gonna lob them everywhere 

2 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Blimey, only 20 hours for me so far.  I'd similarly done naff all, quest wise, after speaking to Purah and had just done towers (all) and shrines (92...).  Decided to do the first step of the main quest (Tulin of Riot Village) and it's superb fun.  Won't say anything, but the journey to the destination just had me grinning.

• Like 3

So my switch says I have played 75 hours or more 😂. Games only been out 16 days so approx 5 hours a day average. Which is prob about right, I work from home so I have been playing it every chance I get.

I have been continuing the main story tonight and now I'm very close to the end. Still some more exploring to do though. I know where I need to head to so I will hold fire for now and try and find more shrines.

Has anyone found any 'Sages Will'?

I found 2 right at the start of the game on first day of playing. Then I haven't found any ever since. You need 4 to do an upgrade. Which I assume i know what the upgrade is. I won't say more as I know some of you have avoided the main quest

@Zear0 your post above mentioned the journey to the destination. I agree that was a really great part of the game

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Just took down my first Gleeok, went with the frost one you come across doing a side quest regarding a horse...

What a pain in the ass that was!

"Homing" arrows helped a hell of a lot though

Well that's strange. I've just literally attempted the same boss whilst also looking for that damn horse. Didn't find it. Wasn't prepared for the Gleeok so left it. 

I've done alot more exploring now. I'm on 99 shrines and honestly I'm struggling to find more. Just doing random quests whilst waiting for the dragons to reappear to upgrade my equipment.

I've done alot more of the depths. I've done 46 lights. Still plenty more to go. 

How are people getting on with Zelda? I want to make it my mission to find all shrines. I currently have 112.

Just found Majora's Mask. That was a pain in the arse to get. Just finding myself collecting items for defence upgrades whilst looking for shrines. Got a couple of complete sets of clothes but need to upgrade them. 

Not finished the main story yet but I believe I am very close to the end. Avoiding the final battle atm

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

How are people getting on with Zelda? I want to make it my mission to find all shrines. I currently have 112.

Just found Majora's Mask. That was a pain in the arse to get. Just finding myself collecting items for defence upgrades whilst looking for shrines. Got a couple of complete sets of clothes but need to upgrade them. 

Not finished the main story yet but I believe I am very close to the end. Avoiding the final battle atm

I have spent a bit more time exploring the depths, got about half of the map opened up with the light roots now

I have also finally started doing a bit more of the main story!

Just landed at the wind temple

I've finished the first temple, and found Goron City to start the quest for a second, but I've been faffing about all week, doing shrines, upgrading armour and exploring the underground. But when you explore, you find more armour, and you start upgrading it, and whilst finding the bits needed you find more armour, so it's a vicious circle.

Had a crack at the Thunder Gleeok yesterday, and got absolutely ripped off. Was doing well at first, then when I took down all 3 heads, he crashed and burned off the side of the cliff all the way to the bottom of the mountain. So I followed him down and continued to smack it about with arrows. Then it got to it's final stage, and flew all the way up to the top of the mountain. In the rain. So you have to get back up but can't climb, so you are dependent on riding the air currents up that it creates by thurderbolting (whilst avoiding being hit). Anyway, once back at the top, it just hovers there and you have to ride the air currents and dodge it's thunderbolts to finish it off. Did this once or twice, then i fell down and I was hitting it with my sword, got it down to its final sliver of health, but was out of arrows. So it flys off high into the sky again, so I tried to create a beam sword with a Zonai device and go up the air currents one more time. Right at the top where I'm close to it, it grazes me with a thunderbolt and I died off the fall damage. Fuming! Note to self - bring 100+ arrows. And rocket shields.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

How am I getting on?  Let's just say I have nightmares about Gloom Hands currently.

• Haha 2

About 60 hours in now. A few of my main takeaways:

The abilities are so fun to use. Each and every one of them is just delightful. I can’t see myself ever going back to Botw after this. I mean, cryonis was a bit shit wasn’t it? 

The enemy variety is great. So many different types of enemies, both above and below the ground. It’s just brilliant. Some of them scare the absolute shit out of me too - especially the gloom hands. 

Dungeons are good, but will we ever reach the heights of previous Zelda titles? I’ve only completed two, but I think I get what they’re all about. I think I’ve come to accept that Zelda dungeons have changed and it’s hard to see how the linear nature of huge dungeons from previous Zelda games will work in this new open world format. But while the dungeons themselves aren’t amazing, the journey to each of them is just mesmerising. I’ve been to the Rito, Goron and Zora dungeons and getting there is just epic - and I never use that word lol 

The map is great. It’s so huge that it at times feels overwhelming, but they’ve designed it in such a way that there are no empty areas. You’re always interested in taking small steps until you’ve eventually travelled quite far. And although it’s the same Hyrule, the surface doesn’t feel the same as BOTW. In fact, it just makes it more interesting to explore the differences. The depths are eerie but so much fun to explore and often you get rewarded with great loot or cool boss battles so that’s an incentive to explore. 

Sky islands, on the other hand, I find a bit underwhelming. It’s always been the main thing they marketed about this game, it’s the key visual on the box, it’s where we start the game. But I find a lot of these islands a bit dull to be honest. The tutorial one was brilliant, as are the series of islands leading up to dungeons, but many of the others feel a bit flat in my opinion. I enjoy building stuff to travel between them but I often find that the reward waiting isn’t worth it and that’s a shame.

Boss fights are top class. Thank god they’ve not done another series of blights. Even in the overworld there’s plenty of boss variety and it’s so cool stumbling across bosses after 50 hours of play that you didn’t even know were in the game. Still yet to defeat a Gleeok though :( 

Shrines are so much fun. They’re probably my favourite part of the game so far. Ties in quite well with my point about the abilities as using them in shrines is just a blast. I’ll solve a puzzle, go online and see others solve it in 10 different ways. It’s just excellent game design rewarding the player for being inventive and not restricting them to one fixed solution. Major props for dropping all the tedious combat shrines, replacing them with the excellent proving grounds and some actual combat tutorials. Really cool. 

All in all, absolutely loving it so far. BOTW was my favourite first playthrough of any game, but not my favourite game. This has the potential to become both. My main issue is that I have two little ones, so I can’t play as much as I want to ;) 

Edited by VinceNoir
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, VinceNoir said:

About 60 hours in now. A few of my main takeaways:

The abilities are so fun to use. Each and every one of them is just delightful. I can’t see myself ever going back to Botw after this. I mean, cryonis was a bit shit wasn’t it? 

The enemy variety is great. So many different types of enemies, both above and below the ground. It’s just brilliant. Some of them scare the absolute shit out of me too - especially the gloom hands. 

Dungeons are good, but will we ever reach the heights of previous Zelda titles? I’ve only completed two, but I think I get what they’re all about. I think I’ve come to accept that Zelda dungeons have changed and it’s hard to see how the linear nature of huge dungeons from previous Zelda games will work in this new open world format. But while the dungeons themselves aren’t amazing, the journey to each of them is just mesmerising. I’ve been to the Rito, Goron and Zora dungeons and getting there is just epic - and I never use that word lol 

The map is great. It’s so huge that it at times feels overwhelming, but they’ve designed it in such a way that there are no empty areas. You’re always interested in taking small steps until you’ve eventually travelled quite far. And although it’s the same Hyrule, the surface doesn’t feel the same as BOTW. In fact, it just makes it more interesting to explore the differences. The depths are eerie but so much fun to explore and often you get rewarded with great loot or cool boss battles so that’s an incentive to explore. 

Sky islands, on the other hand, I find a bit underwhelming. It’s always been the main thing they marketed about this game, it’s the key visual on the box, it’s where we start the game. But I find a lot of these islands a bit dull to be honest. The tutorial one was brilliant, as are the series of islands leading up to dungeons, but many of the others feel a bit flat in my opinion. I enjoy building stuff to travel between them but I often find that the reward waiting isn’t worth it and that’s a shame.

Boss fights are top class. Thank god they’ve not done another series of blights. Even in the overworld there’s plenty of boss variety and it’s so cool stumbling across bosses after 50 hours of play that you didn’t even know were in the game. Still yet to defeat a Gleeok though :( 

Shrines are so much fun. They’re probably my favourite part of the game so far. Ties in quite well with my point about the abilities as using them in shrines is just a blast. I’ll solve a puzzle, go online and see others solve it in 10 different ways. It’s just excellent game design rewarding the player for being inventive and not restricting them to one fixed solution. Major props for dropping all the tedious combat shrines, replacing them with the excellent proving grounds and some actual combat tutorials. Really cool. 

All in all, absolutely loving it so far. BOTW was my favourite first playthrough of any game, but not my favourite game. This has the potential to become both. My main issue is that I have two little ones, so I can’t play as much as I want to ;) 

You have pretty much summed up my thoughts exactly. I enjoy all the boss battles, dungeons I wish were similar to old ones but I can overlook it based on the journeys to get to them.  The Rito one especially. 

One thing I do not do enough of is Fuse. I forget about it. I always struggled against the gleeock until I put a rocket on my shield and entered bullet time. Then I ruined it with a lynel bow shooting 3 bombs for the price of 1. Only just beat my first one this morning. 

I have calculated that doing remaining shrines will leave me with 2 hearts left to find. So I'm wondering if there is a quest somewhere that will give me the last 2. I have done 1 quest already that gave me a heart piece. I believe Ganondorf will be my next boss fight. So no heart there I assume.

Finding myself trying to upgrade defences. My glow in the dark outfit is my strongest one. 2 maxed out pieces. Just need to do the trousers and then I'll have a defence of 60. I'm more than ready to take on Ganondorf but I am holding back. I fear that once I beat him I will lose interest in the game. I normally trade games in once I finish and plan to trade this in so I want to try and fully complete the depths map before fighting him.

• Like 2

I have spent quite some time in the Depths. I have the whole bottom half of the map explored, which then allowed me to find the shrines on Ground Level. I will now repeat the process for the upper half of the map in order to locate the remaining shrines. I have 28 left to do.

Enemies that i found earlier and had no idea how to beat i am now comfortably beating such as Frox and Gleeoks. So picking up those pesky items for defence upgrades are becoming easier.

I cant believe how much i have neglected Fuse, fusing light bombs to my shields in order to get a big jump has made killing enemies 100 times easier.

I have just picked up God of War Ragnarok on PS5 but i still cant bring myself away from Zelda. Though now i am beginning to tell myself to progress the main story and get it finished so i can start GOW.

6 Shrines left to go. Ive gone all round the Depths and opened up the whole map, (Well Almost). Which has allowed me to find all the shrines on the Ground level. So now i am searching the Sky islands for any missing shrines. Think i may need to use a guide to help me with the last ones. 

It still leaves me 2 hearts short, i assume the bottom row of hearts goes as long as the top row? I really want to have max hearts going into the final battle. Think i may continue the main quest tonight. Exploring is getting  little tedious.

Also i have over 30 Bubbel Gems, i can never find the guy who wants them. I haven't seen him in ages. 

Ive now gone past 120 hours. Cant believe how much i have blasted it. Not even played it on a tv. Handheld all the way lol 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

6 Shrines left to go. Ive gone all round the Depths and opened up the whole map, (Well Almost). Which has allowed me to find all the shrines on the Ground level. So now i am searching the Sky islands for any missing shrines. Think i may need to use a guide to help me with the last ones. 

It still leaves me 2 hearts short, i assume the bottom row of hearts goes as long as the top row? I really want to have max hearts going into the final battle. Think i may continue the main quest tonight. Exploring is getting  little tedious.

Also i have over 30 Bubbel Gems, i can never find the guy who wants them. I haven't seen him in ages. 

Ive now gone past 120 hours. Cant believe how much i have blasted it. Not even played it on a tv. Handheld all the way lol 

Wow, unbelievable effort. How are you finding it compared to BOTW? I know you weren't the biggest fan of that game. 

27 minutes ago, VinceNoir said:

Wow, unbelievable effort. How are you finding it compared to BOTW? I know you weren't the biggest fan of that game. 

BOTW was visually beautiful and i loved the open world aspect. But then the constant lack of decent weapons and cooking became a chore.

Ultimately though the dungeons and bosses were so bad that no matter how beautiful the game looked and sounded it just never hit the spot for me. Then you have the final battle, where half of his health gets destroyed by the guardians, i remember when it happened i was just like ehhhh! 

With TOTK i feel like the balance is better with cooking and weapon degradation. Especially with the fuse ability making weapon crafting more fun and i always have an arsenal of weapons.

The only thing i wanted with TOTK was better dungeons and bosses. Take it back to the Zelda formula. Though it still isnt quite what i hoped for regarding dungeons they have still been ok to do. The bosses however are much more interesting in TOTK compared to BOTW. 

TOTK though still isnt my fave Zelda game. Twilight Princess holds that crown

• Like 3

And after 130 hours I have found all shrines, found all lightroots and shoved the Master Sword right up Ganondorfs arse. Credits rolling now

Brilliant game, atmospheric and an absolute joy to play. 

Final boss was much more enjoyable than BOTW, that's all I will say.

Turns out you can get 40 hearts at the expense of stamina. You can't have 40 hearts and a full stamina reel. So I managed to collect every heart piece. Don't think I've ever achieved that in a Zelda game lol

For me though this game can still be improved, as much as I like the open world I still love the normal formula of go to dungeon, get item in dungeon, beat epic boss with said item. So if they can introduce this by making it just a little more linear it would be right up there for me. But that is just my personal preference and me being a little picky. 

Overall a brilliant game, miles better than BOTW. When I see this game get GOTY I will actually agree with it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nintendo Direct at 3pm today. Rumours of Metroid Prime 4. My god i hope that's the case. Metroid Prime 3 was arguably the best game on the Wii. Was a perfect control set up. The whole reason i brought the Switch on release day was in preparation for MP4. Cant believe its taken so long

Also rumours of Paper Mario Thousand Year Door Remaster. Absolutely brilliant game. Love the Paper Mario series.

Surely at this point they’d be better off holding MP4 and have if as a launch title for  the next system. Hopefully along with Mario odyssey 2. Can’t believe they’ve never made a sequel for that, it was right there 

• Like 1