Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
VinceNoir

Nintendo Switch

Took a break for a couple of weeks but finally got back into it and I have now finally finished the Tears of the Kingdom story

I definitely enjoyed it more than BOTW, just seems so much more filled out and the Zonai arm abilities make it so you can be incredibly creative with pretty much everything

I enjoyed the final boss fights, I did think the very last part was a bit too easy though, not sure how but I do think they could have done that bit better

One thing I wish we could see with regards to the story and world, and I thought the same with BOTW, is that I want to be able to go around the villages and Hyrule with Ganondorf gone, even if it is only something that can be seen if you beat the story and everything else in the game

I think the main thing I have loved about this game though is the exploring, it has just been so easy to go off course from the main story and do other things especially with the depths and sky islands, as I have mentioned previously in this thread it took me quite a long time to even start moving the main story forward haha

Still got quite a few shrines and side quests left to do and a few more places I still have to explore so I am looking forward to being able to carry on playing to do that stuff

Definitely the best game I have played on Switch so far for me personally

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

About 125 hours into Tears of the Kingdom now. I've done the four regional phenomena, but holding off on completing the main story until I've done the rest that I want to do, such as find the shrines and lightroots and complete the side quests.

Playing 2-3 hours every night at the moment and really enjoying it. But I'm still unsure whether my experience with it tops my experience with BOTW. In many ways, TOTK is objectively a better game. I can totally see that. The creativity, world, story, dungeons, bosses, enemy variety, shrines, difficulty level, quality of life, everything is better. You can absolutely tell that BOTW walked so TOTK could fly. But in terms of how I feel playing it, I think BOTW hit me in a way that TOTK is yet to do. Exploring this Hyrule, this "new" kind of Zelda for the first time in BOTW left me in awe. It was just staggering. In TOTK, the surface is very similar and exploring hasn't filled me with the same level of joy, especially since the caves, sky islands and depths feel a bit tiresome and repetitive after a while.

As I said, I'm really enjoying it and I will absolutely miss it when I finish it. But BOTW just took over my life. I felt like I was on an adventure. TOTK hasn't given me that feeling. I'm very aware that this is probably because I have two young boys to take up most of my time, so when I switch on the game in the evening, my brain is fully switched off and I can't be arsed to think of the game I'm playing as anything other than a video game lol Still a 10/10, though. Aonuma is one crazy genius. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, VinceNoir said:

About 125 hours into Tears of the Kingdom now. I've done the four regional phenomena, but holding off on completing the main story until I've done the rest that I want to do, such as find the shrines and lightroots and complete the side quests.

Playing 2-3 hours every night at the moment and really enjoying it. But I'm still unsure whether my experience with it tops my experience with BOTW. In many ways, TOTK is objectively a better game. I can totally see that. The creativity, world, story, dungeons, bosses, enemy variety, shrines, difficulty level, quality of life, everything is better. You can absolutely tell that BOTW walked so TOTK could fly. But in terms of how I feel playing it, I think BOTW hit me in a way that TOTK is yet to do. Exploring this Hyrule, this "new" kind of Zelda for the first time in BOTW left me in awe. It was just staggering. In TOTK, the surface is very similar and exploring hasn't filled me with the same level of joy, especially since the caves, sky islands and depths feel a bit tiresome and repetitive after a while.

As I said, I'm really enjoying it and I will absolutely miss it when I finish it. But BOTW just took over my life. I felt like I was on an adventure. TOTK hasn't given me that feeling. I'm very aware that this is probably because I have two young boys to take up most of my time, so when I switch on the game in the evening, my brain is fully switched off and I can't be arsed to think of the game I'm playing as anything other than a video game lol Still a 10/10, though. Aonuma is one crazy genius. 

This is what frustrates me about BOTW so much. I felt the same as you playing it until i beat the 2nd dungeon and realised that the bosses and dungeons were all going to be similar (which in my mind were just trash). Then no matter how much i thought the game looked beautiful and the open world aspect was amazing it just wasn't a Zelda game for me.

TOTK improved on all aspects so i prefer TOTK hugely. But it still hasn't scratched that traditional Zelda itch i adore. OoT will always be incredible, remembering trying to beat a boss as a kid and not being able to. Getting my brother to have a go and celebrating when we beat King Dodongo. Then getting to the next dungeon and wondering what it would bring. Going through Wind Waker also, what an experience.

Then when im older and i get my hands on Twilight Princess it took me right back, wondering what kind of item i would get from a dungeon and what the boss will be like. The spinning top in the Arbiters Grounds and the boss there will always be a highlight.

My fear now is that every Zelda game in the future will follow the TOTK model, which is great in itself. Its a fantastic game. But i worry that i will never get to play a new traditional Zelda game ever again. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

This is what frustrates me about BOTW so much. I felt the same as you playing it until i beat the 2nd dungeon and realised that the bosses and dungeons were all going to be similar (which in my mind were just trash). Then no matter how much i thought the game looked beautiful and the open world aspect was amazing it just wasn't a Zelda game for me.

TOTK improved on all aspects so i prefer TOTK hugely. But it still hasn't scratched that traditional Zelda itch i adore. OoT will always be incredible, remembering trying to beat a boss as a kid and not being able to. Getting my brother to have a go and celebrating when we beat King Dodongo. Then getting to the next dungeon and wondering what it would bring. Going through Wind Waker also, what an experience.

Then when im older and i get my hands on Twilight Princess it took me right back, wondering what kind of item i would get from a dungeon and what the boss will be like. The spinning top in the Arbiters Grounds and the boss there will always be a highlight.

My fear now is that every Zelda game in the future will follow the TOTK model, which is great in itself. It’s a fantastic game. But i worry that i will never get to play a new traditional Zelda game ever again. 

Yeah, I understand. For me, the magic of BOTW was exploring. Discovering the shrines, finding the towers, slowly progressing to the point that the guardians were a walk in the park. It made me forget the shallow dungeons and bosses completely. I absolutely loved it and as I wrote before, I felt I was on a real adventure from start to finish. It took me back to how I felt playing the old classics. That’s why it’s my favourite first playthrough of any game ever. But the things you mention is also why I’ve never replayed it, because once the magic of discovery is over, that’s pretty much it. Dungeons aren’t replayable, bosses neither. 

A lot of the things you say about OOT and TP, I’m completely on board with. I’m smiling reading it because I had the exact same experience with my brother. Along with the fact that the games are just objectively top-class, those experiences mean that they’ll always hold a special place in my heart. No matter how big or beautiful game they create - even if they were to go back to classic Zelda formula - nothing will ever rival my experience with OOT, because it came at a time and an age that made it so much more magical. I remember the feeling it gave you when you first entered a dungeon, finding a key that you’d been missing forever, discovering the dungeon’s item (fvck me the spinner was cool!!!), encountering a boss room and waiting for them to appear. It was just completely amazing gaming experiences. WW and TP built on that within a relatively short time period and it was great (although I’ve never quite understood the hype of WW). 

I think every new Zelda going forward will be based on the BOTW/TOTK formula. I can’t see any natural way you can go back. However, maybe we could see smaller teams working on “classic” Zeldas? I’d definitely be on board with that. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VinceNoir said:

Yeah, I understand. For me, the magic of BOTW was exploring. Discovering the shrines, finding the towers, slowly progressing to the point that the guardians were a walk in the park. It made me forget the shallow dungeons and bosses completely. I absolutely loved it and as I wrote before, I felt I was on a real adventure from start to finish. It took me back to how I felt playing the old classics. That’s why it’s my favourite first playthrough of any game ever. But the things you mention is also why I’ve never replayed it, because once the magic of discovery is over, that’s pretty much it. Dungeons aren’t replayable, bosses neither. 

A lot of the things you say about OOT and TP, I’m completely on board with. I’m smiling reading it because I had the exact same experience with my brother. Along with the fact that the games are just objectively top-class, those experiences mean that they’ll always hold a special place in my heart. No matter how big or beautiful game they create - even if they were to go back to classic Zelda formula - nothing will ever rival my experience with OOT, because it came at a time and an age that made it so much more magical. I remember the feeling it gave you when you first entered a dungeon, finding a key that you’d been missing forever, discovering the dungeon’s item (fvck me the spinner was cool!!!), encountering a boss room and waiting for them to appear. It was just completely amazing gaming experiences. WW and TP built on that within a relatively short time period and it was great (although I’ve never quite understood the hype of WW). 

I think every new Zelda going forward will be based on the BOTW/TOTK formula. I can’t see any natural way you can go back. However, maybe we could see smaller teams working on “classic” Zeldas? I’d definitely be on board with that. 

Think I'm with you on the irrational preference of BOTW.  TOTK is objectively better in every single way than BOTW, yet I havn't enjoyed it as much (I've still enjoyed it immensley).  I guess it's a consequence of building on a formula rather than re-inventing (Fallout 3/4 kind thing) it will make it seem less spectacular.  As illogical as it sounds, given the choice to only play one every again I'd stick to BOTW but that's probably coming from a position of over familiarisation.  I agree the bosses were a bit "meh" but I can happily waste hours ticking shrines off one at a time without having a care about dungeons or story.  The world is so incredibly well made it would carry any format of game placed in it.

I also think we're certain to keep this style of Zelda games going forward.  Rightly or wrongly, these more open worlds styles are the done thing and they wouldn't risk going back to the old style.  I would really like to see a re-make of the older Zelda games if they did a stylistic twist to them similar to what they did for Link's Awakening which I thought was excellent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Do I need to play BOTW before TOTK?

Need? No I guess not. I might anger some weebs here but Zelda games generally aren't hugely story driven and the plot there is is usually a repeating trope. Hyrule (the world) is in danger from more or less the same villain and the princess (Zelda) wants the hero (Link) to save the day. 

I personally would play BOTW first because I think they're both great games and it's worth doing so. 

If you've seen clips of the engineering stuff in TOTK and that's what appeals the most to you then I guess just play that, or if you've been given a free or cheap copy or something then go for it. 

But if you're intending to just play one of the two cos you fancy trying Zelda then you may as well do botw? They're both excellent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Need? No I guess not. I might anger some weebs here but Zelda games generally aren't hugely story driven and the plot there is is usually a repeating trope. Hyrule (the world) is in danger from more or less the same villain and the princess (Zelda) wants the hero (Link) to save the day. 

I personally would play BOTW first because I think they're both great games and it's worth doing so. 

If you've seen clips of the engineering stuff in TOTK and that's what appeals the most to you then I guess just play that, or if you've been given a free or cheap copy or something then go for it. 

But if you're intending to just play one of the two cos you fancy trying Zelda then you may as well do botw? They're both excellent. 

This is pretty much the jist of it. I'd imagine it's cheaper that the newer game so i'll have a go on BOTW when I get a bit of time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

This is pretty much the jist of it. I'd imagine it's cheaper that the newer game so i'll have a go on BOTW when I get a bit of time.

They're similar enough that as a new player you wouldn't really notice the difference or be missing anything but different enough that it's worth playing both if you like them. 

I'd say they're both jointly 9/10 games imo. 

But yeah it's the very open gameplay that makes them fun not the plot so don't worry just dive in. 

• Thanks 1

Yea i would say you could go straight into TOTK but if you arent too bothered about the zelda formula then try BOTW. Im actually planning to trade TOTK in at Game so im interested in what they would give trade in. Could always sell it if anyone is interested

25 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Yea i would say you could go straight into TOTK but if you arent too bothered about the zelda formula then try BOTW. Im actually planning to trade TOTK in at Game so im interested in what they would give trade in. Could always sell it if anyone is interested

Not sure if you aware but I believe Game don’t offer cash for trade ins anymore, only credit

You would get £33.50 credit for TOTK

CEX will do £31 cash or £36 credit for it

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Not sure if you aware but I believe Game don’t offer cash for trade ins anymore, only credit

You would get £33.50 credit for TOTK

CEX will do £31 cash or £36 credit for it

I always go for credit anyway so all good. Seeing as I only paid £45 for it I would be more than happy with £33.50 credit. £11.50 for an Incredible game. Can't complain.

I have my Game Elite card and get good offers with that. Thinking of FF16 though I do fancy playing one of the latest Pokémon games

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

I always go for credit anyway so all good. Seeing as I only paid £45 for it I would be more than happy with £33.50 credit. £11.50 for an Incredible game. Can't complain.

I have my Game Elite card and get good offers with that. Thinking of FF16 though I do fancy playing one of the latest Pokémon games

Have you played any of the Pokemon games on Switch yet?

On 13/07/2023 at 11:41, AKCJ said:

Do I need to play BOTW before TOTK?

You’ve already got a very good reply to this but thought I’d chip in too. You don’t need to, but I’d recommend playing BOTW first. Story is pretty much irrelevant in Zelda games, but in terms of gameplay, TOTK for me is miles ahead. So if you play that, love it, and decide to check out BOTW, it will feel somewhat like playing an early beta version of TOTK. No disrespect to BOTW there, it’s truly excellent in its own right. But in a world where TOTK exists, certain things from BOTW feel quite flat. 

But if you play BOTW first and decide to move onto TOTK, it will feel like a natural step forward and an excellent upgrade. 

Whatever you go for, have fun. Both games are genuinely outstanding. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, moore_94 said:
16 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Definitely recommend Arceus

Very different from the main style of games and a lot of fun

I have just got myself Arceus and Metroid Dread. Couple of new games to play on my week off work. Will blast Arceus tomorrow 

On 14/07/2023 at 22:05, moore_94 said:

Definitely recommend Arceus

Very different from the main style of games and a lot of fun

3 hours into Arceus and I'm loving it. I can see this being a game that takes over my life. Love the concept of it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

3 hours into Arceus and I'm loving it. I can see this being a game that takes over my life. Love the concept of it

Made me jump back onto it as I haven't played it for quite a while haha

I really hope they do another one like it again

Would love it if they did another Lets Go style game combined with the catching mechanics of Arceus for Gold / Silver

56 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Made me jump back onto it as I haven't played it for quite a while haha

I really hope they do another one like it again

Would love it if they did another Lets Go style game combined with the catching mechanics of Arceus for Gold / Silver

I have also not played the Let's Go games. They still hold their value. Always loved Gold and Silver.

My team at the moment consists of

Quilava

Staravia

Graveler

Luxio

Buizel

Kadabra

Which I guess are most people's team early game. Just opened up a new area. Crimson Mireland. So I'll have another go later and see what I can find.

There's a few Pokémon I always like to have, Scolipede being one of them. That's the one I want