Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Trump Triumphs

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Now all we need is an improved NASA budget.

lol why are people so obsessed with prolonging this Cold War dick swinging contest. hurr durr isn't space amazing no you ****wit there's nothing out there except big rocks and what would remain of your soul after having an existential crisis when you realise how irrelevant everyone's life really is.

3 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

lol why are people so obsessed with prolonging this Cold War dick swinging contest. hurr durr isn't space amazing no you ****wit there's nothing out there except big rocks and what would remain of your soul after having an existential crisis when you realise how irrelevant everyone's life really is.

Given we're exhausting resources and space down here we could do with a way of mining and colonising other worlds. It's less dick swinging, more about ensuring a future for the species.

1 minute ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

We need to get out there - people SHOULD realise the Universe is huge, cold, brutal, doesn't give a fvck what you think...and above all, random. Embrace nihilism! :ph34r:

But in all seriousness, the longer we stay here on Earth the more risk we have of either ourselves or something else causing big problems down here, and besides there's a lot of mineral wealth for the money-grubbers out there too - because, you know, today we don't have the excuse of developing missiles to wipe out most of humanity to run this as a sideshow to that any more and bizarrely it is thought that we need a materialistic or nationalistic reason to get out there.

It's a matter of necessity. Besides being amazing.

16 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

We need to get out there - people SHOULD realise the Universe is huge, cold, brutal, doesn't give a fvck what you think...and above all, random. Embrace nihilism! :ph34r:

But in all seriousness, the longer we stay here on Earth the more risk we have of either ourselves or something else causing big problems down here, and besides there's a lot of mineral wealth for the money-grubbers out there too - because, you know, today we don't have the excuse of developing missiles to wipe out most of humanity to run this as a sideshow to that any more and bizarrely it is thought that we need a materialistic or nationalistic reason to get out there.

It's a matter of necessity. Besides being amazing.

What are you on about "the longer we stay on Earth" this isn't fvcking Star Trek. You planning on terraforming fvcking Io or walking up the bus station and taking the 300 round light year trip to the nearest planet without lethal concentrations of methane in the atmosphere? Maybe your right maybe Jean Luc Picard will visit and we'll have a swanny up on Vulcan. If not let's use the resources to live sustainably on our own planet and leave Naboo to Jar Jar Binks. At least @The Doctor came up with an answer not out of a Ladybird book from the early seventies.

1 minute ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

What are you on about "the longer we stay on Earth" this isn't fvcking Star Trek. You planning on terraforming fvcking Io or walking up the bus station and taking the 300 round light year trip to the nearest planet without lethal concentrations of methane in the atmosphere. Maybe your right maybe Jean Luc Picard will visit and we'll have a swanny up on Vulcan. If not let's use the resources to live sustainably on our own planet and leave Naboo to Jar Jar Binks. At least @The Doctor came up with an answer not out of a Ladybird book from the early seventies.

A bit ott?The space program has had loads of benefits for people on earth.

2 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

What are you on about "the longer we stay on Earth" this isn't fvcking Star Trek. You planning on terraforming fvcking Io or walking up the bus station and taking the 300 round light year trip to the nearest planet without lethal concentrations of methane in the atmosphere? Maybe your right maybe Jean Luc Picard will visit and we'll have a swanny up on Vulcan. If not let's use the resources to live sustainably on our own planet and leave Naboo to Jar Jar Binks. At least @The Doctor came up with an answer not out of a Ladybird book from the early seventies.

Whoa - where did that lot come from? Sorry if you mistook the idealism somewhat, and I never really got into mainstream sci-fi/space opera.

I am acutely aware of the difficulty that it would take to establish a colony even within this Solar System, let alone trying to figure out how to get further afield - because, yeah, it's pretty far away. However the need to get resources - as you pointed out the Doc mentioned, I did too - is a reason to get us out there, and I also think it's true that we can live sustainably on this planet for as long as we like but eventually something is going to happen that we can't deal with. Again as the Doc said, it's about guaranteeing a future.

10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Whoa - where did that lot come from? Sorry if you mistook the idealism somewhat, and I never really got into mainstream sci-fi/space opera.

I am acutely aware of the difficulty that it would take to establish a colony even within this Solar System, let alone trying to figure out how to get further afield - because, yeah, it's pretty far away. However the need to get resources - as you pointed out the Doc mentioned, I did too - is a reason to get us out there, and I also think it's true that we can live sustainably on this planet for as long as we like but eventually something is going to happen that we can't deal with. Again as the Doc said, it's about guaranteeing a future.

yeah I love a ranty post. Plenty of great jokes in there if you get the references. Just try and base your politics in some sort of reality. Personally I'm not thinking about sticking moisture farms on Venus until I understand nitrogen dioxide levels on Saffron Lane or how the Common Agricultural Policy has affected Starling numbers. If you're interested they're down 73%.

3 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

yeah I love a ranty post. Plenty of great jokes in there if you get the references. Just try and base your politics in some sort of reality. Personally I'm not thinking about sticking moisture farms on Venus until I understand nitrogen dioxide levels on Saffron Lane or how the Common Agricultural Policy has affected Starling numbers. If you're interested they're down 73%.

Yeah, totally get the walk before you can run part. Is that really true about the starlings? Goodness me.

But we've got to start somewhere, even if the reasons for doing so seem abstract right now. It's really not a good idea to leave it out for too long.

Couple of interesting moves by Obama before he leaves - essentially pardoning Chelsea Manning and giving a big chunk of cash to the U.N climate change fund.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38661259

I wrote above that the incoming government seem more ready to actually listen to scientific consensus than stand about with their fingers in their ears as a fair few of their voter base do, so I guess we'll see where things go from here.

Oh, and if you want to see another Trump pick hopelessly out of their depth, check out what happened to the new Education Sec when she got grilled yesterday.

6 minutes ago, MattP said:

It's a great shame that it's taken Trump being elected to actually finally get Obama to start doing things.

No disagreement there, being hobbled by a ridiculously obstructive Congress aside. Mind you, the last month of a presidency is usually the don't-give-a-fvck time across the board anyway. Pardons, trips and general mayhem, because why not?

Did you see the Education Sec footage , Matt?

Just now, leicsmac said:

No disagreement there, being hobbled by a ridiculously obstructive Congress aside. Mind you, the last month of a presidency is usually the don't-give-a-fvck time across the board anyway. Pardons, trips and general mayhem, because why not?

Did you see the Education Sec footage , Matt?

lol Just wait until 2020 then! If Obama can do it, what the Don do?

No I haven't, whack it up and I'll give it a watch.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

lol Just wait until 2020 then! If Obama can do it, what the Don do?

No I haven't, whack it up and I'll give it a watch.

Yeah, that's going to be interesting. In the same way a slow motion car crash is interesting. :D

Have a look, the lady is so far out of her depth the fish have got lights on their noses.

29 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, that's going to be interesting. In the same way a slow motion car crash is interesting. :D

Have a look, the lady is so far out of her depth the fish have got lights on their noses.

Put it up then, I have no idea what I'm looking for.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/17/us/politics/betsy-devos-education-senate-hearing.html

https://youtu.be/qaGy7hs05fM

That's a little bit of it, the full hearing is about three hours long and you can see it on YouTube as well but this gives you the general idea.

Painful to watch, she should be out of a job very very quickly.

16 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Part 2....

Can't think why the Republicans wanted to speed this up and try to make sure she avoided any scrutiny can you?

As soon as someone isn't sure what the response should be to being asked whether they want to see guns in schools you know you have a big problem,

11 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

It gets funnier....

That part at the end is hard to watch, you can see in her face it's become clear she doesn't have the capability to do the job she has been promoted to, you can have a billion dollars, but you can't buy your way out of political questioning, I would be amazed if she was still there in 6 months.

Only continues to show what a fcuk up the Dems made, that further confirms Elizabeth Warren should have been the candidate if they were determined to have a female, showed in five minutes there she's capable of tearing someone apart and making them look ridiculous, Clinton could only dream of being able to do that.

Having a quick read of Devos on wiki and she donated to Bush, Firino and then Rubio whilst stating Trump is nothing to do with Republicans during the campaign, maybe Trump was that desperate for some diversity in his cabinet on the sexes this and Linda McMahon was all he could come up with. Tragic whatever.

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Can't think why the Republicans wanted to speed this up and try to make sure she avoided any scrutiny can you?

As soon as someone isn't sure what the response should be to being asked whether they want to see guns in schools you know you have a big problem,

That part at the end is hard to watch, you can see in her face it's become clear she doesn't have the capability to do the job she has been promoted to, you can have a billion dollars, but you can't buy your way out of political questioning, I would be amazed if she was still there in 6 months.

Only continues to show what a fcuk up the Dems made, that further confirms Elizabeth Warren should have been the candidate if they were determined to have a female, showed in five minutes there she's capable of tearing someone apart and making them look ridiculous, Clinton could only dream of being able to do that.

Having a quick read of Devos on wiki and she donated to Bush, Firino and then Rubio whilst stating Trump is nothing to do with Republicans during the campaign, maybe Trump was that desperate for some diversity in his cabinet on the sexes this and Linda McMahon was all he could come up with. Tragic whatever.

"Usually we have sight of completed ethics forms to ask the candidate about though strangely on this occasion they have not been either completed or made available to us" lol

Archived