Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Trump Triumphs

17 minutes ago, MattP said:

That would be the icing on the cake, it would be hilarious.

I'm looking forward to the show later, the line up looks good, bit of soul, bit of rock, bit of country, bit of classical,feels a bit more like a representation of wider America rather than a load of MTV celebrities coming on for a bit of PR.

Such a shame that Andrea Bocelli had to withdraw due to getting so many death threats etc. It would have been beautiful to see/hear him going full tilt again and getting all the tingles like when we lifted the Prem trophy!

3 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Come on now Matt you're clutching at straws here, if it was indicative of 'wider America' it would of been the first choice, not the last option after everyone and their dog rejected him lol

Had the London Olympics failed to secure any of the acts they did, and put on The Proclaimers, Lindisfarne and Billy Bragg, would you have preferred that and called it a representation of wider Britain?  

See above. Whereas there have been artists who have turned it down. There are plenty who have backed out due to harsh criticism, risk of being ostracized and death threats. The behaviour by many leading up to this has been nothing short of disgusting, with people actually getting paid to protest and cause as much chaos as possible. Trump and his supporters may not be the greatest in the world, but I honestly believe that had Clinton won, the media outcry, violence, protests, crying and whingeing would not have reached near these levels.

Just now, Darkon84 said:

See above. Whereas there have been artists who have turned it down. There are plenty who have backed out due to harsh criticism, risk of being ostracized and death threats. The behaviour by many leading up to this has been nothing short of disgusting, with people actually getting paid to protest and cause as much chaos as possible.

I've heard of that and you're right, it's disgusting and simply not on. my main point though, was that it's just not a good lineup, it was the last draw.

7 minutes ago, Darkon84 said:

Such a shame that Andrea Bocelli had to withdraw due to getting so many death threats etc. It would have been beautiful to see/hear him going full tilt again and getting all the tingles like when we lifted the Prem trophy!

If seeing Bocelli at the inauguration would have given you anywhere near the same "tingles" as that day in May then I am truly baffled for you. :huh: 

3 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I've heard of that and you're right, it's disgusting and simply not on. my main point though, was that it's just not a good lineup, it was the last draw.

I didn't say it was a good line up, I said it was wide ranging, which it is.

But as Darkon explains, anyone remotly famous who considered doing so was subjected to mocking, abuse and even death threats, so it's hardly surprising what it looks like.

And the people doing it still don't realise that are helping him, he didn't need celebrities to win the presidency and he won't need them to be the president.

6 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

It's not the greatest line up, so you're right on that. Shame that others have been forced away from performing really. Quite a sad state of affairs. Still, great to see the Tornadoes marching band there!

4 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

If seeing Bocelli at the inauguration would have given you anywhere near the same "tingles" as that day in May then I am truly baffled for you. :huh: 

Every time I hear the man sing, it reminds me of that day and makes me feel proud to be a Leicester supporter. Just because he would have been performing at someone's ceremony who I'm assuming you're against, it doesn't change his voice, that day, or those memories. If you can't appreciate that, then I'm the one that feels for you :thumbup:

23 minutes ago, MattP said:

I didn't say it was a good line up, I said it was wide ranging, which it is.

But as Darkon explains, anyone remotly famous who considered doing so was subjected to mocking, abuse and even death threats, so it's hardly surprising what it looks like.

And the people doing it still don't realise that are helping him, he didn't need celebrities to win the presidency and he won't need them to be the president.

It makes you laugh, hypocritical to the extreme. We don't want you to perform for trump because his politics are nasty! If you do perform we will kill you!

21 hours ago, leicsmac said:

All this, especially this bolded part. Why on Earth would the 'invisible hand' (economic substitute for "letting nature take its course") save us or the environment when it did no such thing for any other species that messed up or wasn't ready?

I don't think "letting nature take its course" is quite right. It's allowing human competitiveness and greed take its course - traits which have led to vast improvements in just about every aspect of life for most people on the planet. You certainly can't expect capitalism to have saved the dinosaurs, they didn't even have banks.

22 minutes ago, Darkon84 said:

It's not the greatest line up, so you're right on that. Shame that others have been forced away from performing really. Quite a sad state of affairs. Still, great to see the Tornadoes marching band there!

You're not wrong, I'm obviously not the biggest Trump fan (was willing to give him a chance but his cabinet chances were truly baffling considering his assertions) but no-one should feel like they're not allowed to voice their political views, or even just play the event if they're neutral on the matter. As the artists right to refuse is encouraged, so should a performer who simply wishes to perform at one of the biggest historical events in the world, regardless of the president-elect who is inaugurated. I doubt Bocelli is a Trump guy (although I obviously have no idea, he just doesn't rub me that way) but like he wasn't a hardcore Leicester fan as much as I like to believe, he still wanted to perform on a historical occasion. A sad state of affairs indeed.

51 minutes ago, Darkon84 said:

See above. Whereas there have been artists who have turned it down. There are plenty who have backed out due to harsh criticism, risk of being ostracized and death threats. The behaviour by many leading up to this has been nothing short of disgusting, with people actually getting paid to protest and cause as much chaos as possible. Trump and his supporters may not be the greatest in the world, but I honestly believe that had Clinton won, the media outcry, violence, protests, crying and whingeing would not have reached near these levels.

Just out of interest who are all the artists who have pulled out?  Be interesting to know.  thanks.

7 minutes ago, Barky said:

I don't think "letting nature take its course" is quite right. It's allowing human competitiveness and greed take its course - traits which have led to vast improvements in just about every aspect of life for most people on the planet. You certainly can't expect capitalism to have saved the dinosaurs, they didn't even have banks.

This discussion has been had before. Yes, allowing the evolutionary principle to given human behaviour (competitiveness, greed etc) economically and socially does lead to improvements. Right up to the point that suddenly a change is too big to deal with and a species goes extinct. It's happened so many times with other species in the past.

As you put it, capitalism and other such behaviour like it didn't save the dinosaurs...so why would it save us when the time comes?

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Also, really creative artists in the US should be happy at Trumps inauguration. I mean, he's going to provide them with an environment in which some of the greatest artistic works ever have been produced, right? :ph34r:

How are the folks of New Hants enjoying inauguration day? Is it much of a public event there? Will people be sitting watching TVs in bars and commenting or anything?

I've no idea what Joe and Jo Public gets up to away from the actual ceremonies in Washington...

Just now, purpleronnie said:

Just out of interest who are all the artists who have pulled out?  Be interesting to know.  thanks.

Just off the top of my head some who pulled out or declined following bad rep:

Andrea Bocelli

Moby

Charlotte Church

Bruce Springsteen

Kiss

Garth Brooks

8 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Billy Bragg.

Woodie Guthrie.

Billie Holiday (real shame, I was looking forward to 'strange fruit')

Springsteen

SOAD

Dead Prez

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

How are the folks of New Hants enjoying inauguration day? Is it much of a public event there? Will people be sitting watching TVs in bars and commenting or anything?

I've no idea what Joe and Joe Public gets up to away from the actual ceremonies in Washington...

Joe and Joe can do whatever they please in this day and ages, not that its any of your business. The West in general is a very accepting place these days, Alf lol 

2 minutes ago, Darkon84 said:

Joe and Joe can do whatever they please in this day and ages, not that its any of your business. The West in general is a very accepting place these days, Alf lol 

You mean folks are shagging on inauguration day over there? Do they get a special day off for that? :blink:

9 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I've no idea what Joe and Jo Public gets up to away from the actual ceremonies in Washington...

Pretty much evenly split between getting the flags out and watching on TV with a beer or pretending the whole thing doesn't exist. The vote was really close here.

No public event around here, but I know folks who are going to the Women's March in Washington.

6 minutes ago, Darkon84 said:

Hmmmm...I'd wait til that next Supreme Court judge comes in before we pass judgments on feeling safe about whether Joe and Joe can even get married anymore...

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Pretty much evenly split between getting the flags out and watching on TV with a beer or pretending the whole thing doesn't exist. The vote was really close here.

No public event around here, but I know folks who are going to the Women's March in Washington.

You mean the "women who agree with women like us" march.

5 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Don't get it. What does it achieve. Have these people booked a day off work to do this.

Tell me about it! I hope Emily Davison cleared it with her line manager before she threw herself under the King's horse. And I heard MLK gave his dream speech without going through the proper channels at work. I bet the guy who covered for him was livid!

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

Tell me about it! I hope Emily Davison cleared it with her line manager before she threw herself under the King's horse. And I heard MLK gave his dream speech without going through the proper channels at work. I bet the guy who covered for him was livid!

Davison cleared it with Pankhurst

Archived