Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GaelicFox

UFC ...

1 hour ago, Guesty said:

I do agree it would be bad for the fans - but better for fighters. I suppose I'm fed up of all the fighters I used to see when I first started watching like Jens Pulver, BJ Penn, Tim Sylvia and others now being relatively poor and never given much recognition. They were world champions; the others you hear about even less. Pulver only just got in the UFC Hall of Fame; that seemed political and because he started doing Twitch for them. 

I sort of view the Ali Act as the UFC's fault for the way they've milked the fighters. I've gone from watching every UFC event religiously, to only tuning in when Max Holloway, Robbie Lawler or Poirier fight (I still listen to Ariel Helwani every week). I might have different view to the Ali Act if I was still watching religiously.

I'm not the every week without fail fan I was (mostly because it means an all nighter and I have a young child now) but I do watch alot of the 'bigger' fights. I do love that in mma, the best do have to fight the best. You can't really escape it (unless you're ngannou 👀

I'm a volk fan. Do you think they should make a fourth between him and max? Personally think volk is to max what max is to everyone else. Just too good. Prefer a rematch with Islam (despite him winning the first imo) 

3 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I'm not the every week without fail fan I was (mostly because it means an all nighter and I have a young child now) but I do watch alot of the 'bigger' fights. I do love that in mma, the best do have to fight the best. You can't really escape it (unless you're ngannou 👀

I'm a volk fan. Do you think they should make a fourth between him and max? Personally think volk is to max what max is to everyone else. Just too good. Prefer a rematch with Islam (despite him winning the first imo) 

Yeah I used to be, now sometimes I don't even record it - thinking about cancelling BT/TNT Sports . I'd forgotten about Volk. I watch/like him too. I seem to like all the fighters that shun the negative clickbait drama. The clickbait drama is probably one of the biggest things that's turned me off. Especially when you see the UFC push them. I would watch more if it wasn't 3am too.

Volk has beaten him 3 times now, so I'm not really sure. At some point you have to give Holloway another chance if he beats everyone else. They're always good fights and there's always a chance Holloway could get a decisions so I'd watch it. Everything you say about the situation is true.

44 minutes ago, Guesty said:

Yeah I used to be, now sometimes I don't even record it - thinking about cancelling BT/TNT Sports . I'd forgotten about Volk. I watch/like him too. I seem to like all the fighters that shun the negative clickbait drama. The clickbait drama is probably one of the biggest things that's turned me off. Especially when you see the UFC push them. I would watch more if it wasn't 3am too.

Volk has beaten him 3 times now, so I'm not really sure. At some point you have to give Holloway another chance if he beats everyone else. They're always good fights and there's always a chance Holloway could get a decisions so I'd watch it. Everything you say about the situation is true.

Having a dodgy stick is helpful. 

I'm going to confess something here. I do like colby for all my sins. He's such a caricature of America I do find him entertaining in a point and laugh kind of way. I'm with you about the rest of the non click baity people though. Also chael sonnen

19 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Having a dodgy stick is helpful. 

I'm going to confess something here. I do like colby for all my sins. He's such a caricature of America I do find him entertaining in a point and laugh kind of way. I'm with you about the rest of the non click baity people though. Also chael sonnen

I know what you mean about Colby. I think he takes the character too far. But it's worked for him, he was about to be cut, then he made everyone hate him. The fact he had to become that person is why I've lost interest. You see interviews from back in the day and he's a totally different person. It's almost like he's so not like that type of person he doesn't know when to stop. He's had to change camps and lost most of his MMA friends because it.

Chael was sort of the OG of that stuff. But it was more just funny than hostile. He normally knew just where that line was and stopped.

2 hours ago, Guesty said:

I know what you mean about Colby. I think he takes the character too far. But it's worked for him, he was about to be cut, then he made everyone hate him. The fact he had to become that person is why I've lost interest. You see interviews from back in the day and he's a totally different person. It's almost like he's so not like that type of person he doesn't know when to stop. He's had to change camps and lost most of his MMA friends because it.

Chael was sort of the OG of that stuff. But it was more just funny than hostile. He normally knew just where that line was and stopped.

The problem is casual fans. Because to describe colby as a boring fighter is unbelievably ridiculous. You just have to take his character for what it is. It's so over the top I find it funny. It's people like Cejudo and usman I don't like. The character is less entertaining than the person actual personality. I'm not completely sold that all the people who claim to hate colby really do tbh. You hear too many nice stories about him from fighters. 

It's funny with the pantomime now he used to be accused of race baiting and crossing the line regarding silvas wife. 

• 1 month later...

How do people see the fights going this weekend? As a big volkanovski fan I really hope he gets the job done but the short notice against someone as good as makhachev doesn't fill me with confidence. If anyone can though its volk! Bit more hopeful that usman so long as he's in decent shape can derail the chimaev hype train. Dana White privilege is against him though as its depressingly obvious that DW is desperate for chimaev to be a champ so he can milk the Islamic coin some more. Suspect Usman will need a finish as much like the Burns fight a reasonably close decision only goes one way.

I've always rated Chimaev to be honest. Watched his last several fights and he's always impressed me. I don't like how mouthy he has become, but skill wise.. i just rate him. Volcanovski fight could be a real banger  but Makhachev has to be favourite  simply based on recent records...

I managed to (accidentally) catch volkanovski super early into his mma career. Been a huge fan since. I love Craig jones aswell. I really really hope volk wins (he did first time round Imo) it would be better for the sport and division. 

This depends on how khamzat comes out I think. If he tries his usual routine coming out hard for the takedown at all costs the usman makes it look easy. If he comes out and his happy to trade a little bit I think he wins. Would be happy with either. 

@MPHhe's trash talked his whole career really. Much like bo nickel (who I thinkIthey'll build up for a super fight with khamzat eventually) 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2023 at 11:23, ARTY_FOX said:

To do it on 2 weeks notice. When he couldn't train for those 2 weeks because he pulled a muscle is insane. 

Boxing kick boxing and mma heavyweight champs all English. 

Aapinall will be the greatest mma has seen. 

i absolutely can not wait for him to fight jones!

49 minutes ago, MPH said:

i absolutely can not wait for him to fight jones!

I just don't think jones will take it sadly. I don't know if it's just not wanting to set myself up for disappointment though. Because if someone says he's ducking him jones ego won't take it lmao 

I'd much rather  see that than stipe though. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

2 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I just don't think jones will take it sadly. I don't know if it's just not wanting to set myself up for disappointment though. Because if someone says he's ducking him jones ego won't take it lmao 

I'd much rather  see that than stipe though. 

Well Aspinall is interim now.  That fight could probably pack out Wembley Stadium.. Trouble is you’d need  the summer for that fight  if you want Wembley.. I’m not Sure Dana will want to miss out on the gravy train for that long so maybe a March fight against Stipe and September against Jones?

1 hour ago, MPH said:

Well Aspinall is interim now.  That fight could probably pack out Wembley Stadium.. Trouble is you’d need  the summer for that fight  if you want Wembley.. I’m not Sure Dana will want to miss out on the gravy train for that long so maybe a March fight against Stipe and September against Jones?

Could do Cardiff rather than Wembley? Put the roof on. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MPH said:

So it's abit of a dodgy one really. Jones is now out for a minimum 18 months, then he'll want a full camp ect so probably isn't fighting for the best part of 2 years. He's also said if he beats Stipe he retires. That could now change aspinall has the world saying he could win that fight. Then dana stated he went to dinner with Stipe who said he will only fight jones and won't take any other fights. 

It'll be a UFC without Dana to host an event at Wembley I think. He's said a few times he won't do stadiums in England. Essentially because he thinks it does nothing but rain here.

I'm kinda just hoping that Aspinall keeps winning with absolute ease and Jones ego makes him take it. But I don't think many people care about Jones vs Stipe anymore. Stipe looked like an old man Saturday. 

8 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

So it's abit of a dodgy one really. Jones is now out for a minimum 18 months, then he'll want a full camp ect so probably isn't fighting for the best part of 2 years. He's also said if he beats Stipe he retires. That could now change aspinall has the world saying he could win that fight. Then dana stated he went to dinner with Stipe who said he will only fight jones and won't take any other fights. 

It'll be a UFC without Dana to host an event at Wembley I think. He's said a few times he won't do stadiums in England. Essentially because he thinks it does nothing but rain here.

I'm kinda just hoping that Aspinall keeps winning with absolute ease and Jones ego makes him take it. But I don't think many people care about Jones vs Stipe anymore. Stipe looked like an old man Saturday. 

im just grateful that Ngannou has moved on to boxing lol

1 hour ago, MPH said:

im just grateful that Ngannou has moved on to boxing lol

I honestly believe Aspinall (and jones) beat him anyway! That's not a knock on ngannou either. He's a beast. Would have loved to see him and pavlovich have a pop at each other lol could be the quickest fight ever. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hmm… bit convenient this… I mean, she’s blaming previous concussions for defeats but the same issues were there for her  victories..

Ronda Rousey says she hid "concussions and neurological injuries" for years during her trailblazing run as UFC bantamweight champion.

American Rousey, 37, became the first woman to join the UFC in 2012, defending her title six times before defeat by Holly Holm in 2015.

Rousey says the loss caused her to "self-assess" her career for the sake of her long-term health.

"It's hard to look at footage of that match," Rousey told BBC Sport. 

"Because I can literally see in my eyes I'm suffering from a neurological injury decades in the making.

"It [ticks] me off when people see that and say, 'this is Ronda being outclassed'. That's me with my brain not properly working."

Rousey, speaking following the release of her new book Our Fight, revealed how a decade's worth of concussions suffered during her judo career, where she won Olympic bronze for the USA in 2008, affected her UFC run.

Rousey stops and takes a deep breath as she describes her wellbeing going into the Holm fight, which she lost via a head kick knockout in the second round.

"I was concussed going into that fight - I fell down the stairs and knocked myself out two weeks before," she recalled.

"But I had been hiding concussions and neurological injuries for so long that it just became part of it. And that was the point I was forced to really self-assess and be like, 'your brain has taken too much damage for too many years'."

3 hours ago, MPH said:

Hmm… bit convenient this… I mean, she’s blaming previous concussions for defeats but the same issues were there for her  victories..

Ronda Rousey says she hid "concussions and neurological injuries" for years during her trailblazing run as UFC bantamweight champion.

American Rousey, 37, became the first woman to join the UFC in 2012, defending her title six times before defeat by Holly Holm in 2015.

Rousey says the loss caused her to "self-assess" her career for the sake of her long-term health.

"It's hard to look at footage of that match," Rousey told BBC Sport. 

"Because I can literally see in my eyes I'm suffering from a neurological injury decades in the making.

"It [ticks] me off when people see that and say, 'this is Ronda being outclassed'. That's me with my brain not properly working."

Rousey, speaking following the release of her new book Our Fight, revealed how a decade's worth of concussions suffered during her judo career, where she won Olympic bronze for the USA in 2008, affected her UFC run.

Rousey stops and takes a deep breath as she describes her wellbeing going into the Holm fight, which she lost via a head kick knockout in the second round.

"I was concussed going into that fight - I fell down the stairs and knocked myself out two weeks before," she recalled.

"But I had been hiding concussions and neurological injuries for so long that it just became part of it. And that was the point I was forced to really self-assess and be like, 'your brain has taken too much damage for too many years'."

Was she hiding them or not...she's making it sound like she had to hide them yet claiming that she had to self-assess lol

If she had to hide them why was she hiding them from herself?