Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GaelicFox

UFC ...

2 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Yeah the juiceman fights were insanely good, really hope we get a third even if usual logic dictates it shouldn't happen.

As with holloway and volk, logic goes out the window with those 2. They're by far and away the best 2 in the division. (Khamzat my spoil that) 

On 31/03/2022 at 06:57, LVocey said:

I’ve got a mate making his cage warriors debut tomorrow night. Does anybody have a UFC fight pass login they’d be willing to share? Or know of a way to get a free trial?

how did your friend get on?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Most UFC fans will remember him. Real powerful puncher. A real fighter  :(

Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson: UFC and Bellator fighter dies aged 38 after undisclosed illness

Former UFC light-heavyweight title contender Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson has died at the age of 38.

The American, who joined Bellator last year, had said he was suffering from an undisclosed illness.

Bellator said: "It is with great sadness we acknowledge the passing of Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson. 

"The Bellator family is devastated by his untimely passing and we send our condolences to his family and friends during this difficult time."

Johnson came out of retirement to make his Bellator debut in 2021 after four years away from mixed martial arts.

He had ended his UFC career with a record of 22 wins and six defeats.

His punching power helped him become the first person in the promotion to record four sub-minute knockout victories.

Johnson challenged for the light heavyweight belt in the UFC on two occasions, both times losing to all-time great Daniel Cormier.

Cormier was among those to pay tribute, saying: "Rumble will be missed. Sometimes life doesn't seem fair."

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

Fantastic fight between the two best in mma last night. Despite the pre fight talk there was barely anything between them. I genuinely don't see anyone at lightweight giving makhachev anywhere near as much trouble as volkanovski so I hope a rematch is in the offing in a year or so.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, tetly said:

Massive fight tonight jones makes his heavyweight debut. He has a big challenge on his hands tonight the French guy is good. 

over so quickly. Jones is a smart and intelligent fighter as well as technically gifted. He’s also bigger now. Borderline unstoppable, I’d say. It’s a shame Ngannou has moved on,

15 hours ago, MPH said:

over so quickly. Jones is a smart and intelligent fighter as well as technically gifted. He’s also bigger now. Borderline unstoppable, I’d say. It’s a shame Ngannou has moved on,

It’s insane how good he is! absolute beast, he is a very dangerous man.

• 4 months later...

290 was the best all round event in ages. Loads of finishes, shocks, comebacks and Volkanovski again showing why he is currently the best fighter in the organisation. Really hoping he gets the makhachev rematch as every chance he'd decisively get the job done this time.

10 hours ago, Gubbins said:

290 was the best all round event in ages. Loads of finishes, shocks, comebacks and Volkanovski again showing why he is currently the best fighter in the organisation. Really hoping he gets the makhachev rematch as every chance he'd decisively get the job done this time.

I hope he does get his hand raised this time. Last fight was close and he edged it imo. 

Hes done alot more with Craig Jones since aswell so he's only going to have got better where Islam shines and he managed to shut it down for the most part first time round. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

• 1 month later...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/mixed-martial-arts/66672123.amp

this could be very bad news for the UFC

A company owned by Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund (PIF) has bought a minority stake in the Professional Fighters League (PFL).

The deal with PIF's subsidiary SRJ Sports Investments (SRJ) will see the launch of an MMA league and Super Fight division in Saudi Arabia.

The PFL signed Francis Ngannou and Jake Paul,among others, earlier this year to front its new Super Fight division.

The first Super Fight event will take place in 2024, according to the PFL.

25 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

It'll take more than the Saudis to dislodged the UFC's strangle on MMA

there have always been massive issues with how little the UFC pays its fighters.. it won’t be difficult to tempt some of the big names away..

the average UFC. Fighter earned 150k DOLLARS in 2022. That’s down from 160k in 2021. It won’t be hard at all..

Edited by MPH

16 minutes ago, MPH said:

there have always been massive issues with how little the UFC pays its fighters.. it won’t be difficult to tempt some of the big names away..

the average UFC. Fighter earned 150k DOLLARS in 2022. That’s down from 160k in 2021. It won’t be hard at all..

The thing is though, the issue does surround the 'average' ufc fighter. Anyone who's actually anyone generally says it's good if you're good. I dont see any top fighters still in their prime being taken away. 

I'm sure we all have an opinion on francis though tbf. 

The problem for the PFL is it's league format. 

1 hour ago, ARTY_FOX said:

The thing is though, the issue does surround the 'average' ufc fighter. Anyone who's actually anyone generally says it's good if you're good. I dont see any top fighters still in their prime being taken away. 

I'm sure we all have an opinion on francis though tbf. 

The problem for the PFL is it's league format. 

For me, the problem is it’s all about finances. In the Premier league players are  all played handsome wage. They get to stay at home  with their families and they are paid well however, in somewhere like PGA tour  where they already have to leave home to spend a few weeks away and tour… the Saudi offer was no different to that, it was just way way more money. Do UFC has a similar format where they go out of town for training camp for weeks on end, maybe to a different country away from friends and family, and they get paid a comparatively small amount of money. The potential of this Saudia is the exact same format they will be away from home for weeks. On end they could get paid in one fight in Saudi Arabia, the same as what they would earn in 10-15 fights in the UFC. The UFC is definitely going to have to up their game in they pays their stars. A championship contender fighter gets paid around 500k in the UFC. Most titleholders between one and 3 million for a fight. The UFC cannot rely on its reputation to keep its stars.

The time where I really lost patience with how the UFC pay their fighters was when they adopted the uniform. Fighters used to be paid like s**t but they used to be allowed to sponsors on their shorts and have a banner behind them when they were introduced. They could make some nice money doing that. Then the UFC said they couldn't do that anymore and had to wear all the Reekbok gear. Came up with a lame excuse of it looking unprofessional to have sponsors on shorts. 

They fight in a cage that's covered in sponsors. Such bulls**t.

But they always make sure the big guys are looked after so there's never a problem. I look forward to the day the Ali Act gets introduced to MMA. 

1 hour ago, MPH said:

For me, the problem is it’s all about finances. In the Premier league players are  all played handsome wage. They get to stay at home  with their families and they are paid well however, in somewhere like PGA tour  where they already have to leave home to spend a few weeks away and tour… the Saudi offer was no different to that, it was just way way more money. Do UFC has a similar format where they go out of town for training camp for weeks on end, maybe to a different country away from friends and family, and they get paid a comparatively small amount of money. The potential of this Saudia is the exact same format they will be away from home for weeks. On end they could get paid in one fight in Saudi Arabia, the same as what they would earn in 10-15 fights in the UFC. The UFC is definitely going to have to up their game in they pays their stars. A championship contender fighter gets paid around 500k in the UFC. Most titleholders between one and 3 million for a fight. The UFC cannot rely on its reputation to keep its stars.

The problem is though, just like pride had over the UFC is prestige. It'll have to be generational change. You've got people like paddy pimblett who earned more at cage warriors (allegedly) but still moved to the ufc on the lowest contract they do because its the big stage. Whilst the Saudis have seemingly bottomless pockets the UFC is basically the prem of mma. Unbelievably marketed. Michael Chandler on the difference and why the UFC is what it is is a brilliant listen if you can find it. I cant remember the podcast off the top of my head 

If one championship marketed themselves better in the west they're probably in the best position to take over seeing as the casual doesn't understand grappling. 

1 hour ago, Guesty said:

The time where I really lost patience with how the UFC pay their fighters was when they adopted the uniform. Fighters used to be paid like s**t but they used to be allowed to sponsors on their shorts and have a banner behind them when they were introduced. They could make some nice money doing that. Then the UFC said they couldn't do that anymore and had to wear all the Reekbok gear. Came up with a lame excuse of it looking unprofessional to have sponsors on shorts. 

They fight in a cage that's covered in sponsors. Such bulls**t.

But they always make sure the big guys are looked after so there's never a problem. I look forward to the day the Ali Act gets introduced to MMA. 

I agree something does need doing but the Ali act as it is now would ruin mma. MMA's big selling point is always 'the best fighting the best'. You don't get that in boxing anymore. 

The sponsors thing is bullshit though. Especially when reebok couldn't be arsed to get peoples names correct.

Edited by ARTY_FOX
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

The problem is though, just like pride had over the UFC is prestige. It'll have to be generational change. You've got people like paddy pimblett who earned more at cage warriors (allegedly) but still moved to the ufc on the lowest contract they do because its the big stage. Whilst the Saudis have seemingly bottomless pockets the UFC is basically the prem of mma. Unbelievably marketed. Michael Chandler on the difference and why the UFC is what it is is a brilliant listen if you can find it. I cant remember the podcast off the top of my head 

If one championship marketed themselves better in the west they're probably in the best position to take over seeing as the casual doesn't understand grappling. 

I think the UFC is only a  Bigger stage because it’s got the better fighters…

anyway.. we shall see!  It’s worth watching to see how it develops for sure!

18 minutes ago, MPH said:

I think the UFC is only a  Bigger stage because it’s got the better fighters…

anyway.. we shall see!  It’s worth watching to see how it develops for sure!

It's the whole show the UFC does better than anyone else (mma wise) the production value is multiple levels above imo. But as I say I really like one. I like they do mma along with straight kick boxing/maybe thai/grappling matches aswell 

11 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I agree something does need doing but the Ali act as it is now would ruin mma. MMA's big selling point is always 'the best fighting the best'. You don't get that in boxing anymore. 

The sponsors thing is bullshit though. Especially when reebok couldn't be arsed to get peoples names correct.

I do agree it would be bad for the fans - but better for fighters. I suppose I'm fed up of all the fighters I used to see when I first started watching like Jens Pulver, BJ Penn, Tim Sylvia and others now being relatively poor and never given much recognition. They were world champions; the others you hear about even less. Pulver only just got in the UFC Hall of Fame; that seemed political and because he started doing Twitch for them. 

I sort of view the Ali Act as the UFC's fault for the way they've milked the fighters. I've gone from watching every UFC event religiously, to only tuning in when Max Holloway, Robbie Lawler or Poirier fight (I still listen to Ariel Helwani every week). I might have different view to the Ali Act if I was still watching religiously.