Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Amin

The Last Of Us Part II

Just finished it this afternoon. Loved it, agree with some of the comments about the camera/melee though. While it's sort of more realistic, it does get a bit irritating especially when you're back up in a corner with multiple enemies. 'Greatest game of all-time?' No such thing. Certainly one of my favourites. TLOU was never revolutionary game-play the first time round, it's basic stealth and action. The story, atmosphere and soundtrack made it what it was. The same applies here to an even heavier degree. It's genuinely gut-wrenching, emotionally exhausting and morally confusing. In regards to the diversity/representation of the game - I really didn't find any of it to be 'virtue signalling', it was done without going 'LOOK! LOOK!'. The bitching is from the usual suspects who will consider any mention at all of LGBT people to be over the top PC. 

Genuinely distraught at the death at the start. Kinda expected a bit of a swerve from the trailers implying it'd be Dina dying, but for that to happen so early. Ouch. lol Began swearing bloody vengeance on the Wolves, then in the second half of the game I warmed to Abby and you get where she's coming from. The end was sort of similar to the first game, feeling somewhat empty and unfulfilled but having been on a 'journey' (sorry). The game had me convinced at least twice previously it was about to end, only to keep going. lol I loved it as I'm a huge fan of the series, but could understand it feeling a slog to some.

Some of the flashback parts are just fantastic also. The museum bit with Ellie and Joel, especially in the spaceship, beautiful.

Edited by Libertine
  • Like 1

On 04/07/2020 at 16:05, Libertine said:

Just finished it this afternoon. Loved it, agree with some of the comments about the camera/melee though. While it's sort of more realistic, it does get a bit irritating especially when you're back up in a corner with multiple enemies. 'Greatest game of all-time?' No such thing. Certainly one of my favourites. TLOU was never revolutionary game-play the first time round, it's basic stealth and action. The story, atmosphere and soundtrack made it what it was. The same applies here to an even heavier degree. It's genuinely gut-wrenching, emotionally exhausting and morally confusing. In regards to the diversity/representation of the game - I really didn't find any of it to be 'virtue signalling', it was done without going 'LOOK! LOOK!'. The bitching is from the usual suspects who will consider any mention at all of LGBT people to be over the top PC. 

Reveal hidden contents

Genuinely distraught at the death at the start. Kinda expected a bit of a swerve from the trailers implying it'd be Dina dying, but for that to happen so early. Ouch. lol Began swearing bloody vengeance on the Wolves, then in the second half of the game I warmed to Abby and you get where she's coming from. The end was sort of similar to the first game, feeling somewhat empty and unfulfilled but having been on a 'journey' (sorry). The game had me convinced at least twice previously it was about to end, only to keep going. lol I loved it as I'm a huge fan of the series, but could understand it feeling a slog to some.

Some of the flashback parts are just fantastic also. The museum bit with Ellie and Joel, especially in the spaceship, beautiful.

you think this game had a better story and soundtrack? the story was terrible imo. it makes me wonder if druckmann even wrote the first one

Im about 18 hours in now. Im enjoying the game as much as I expected to. You always get the hype train over AAA games being 'Greatest game ever made'. Which is just nonsense.

So far for me its a solid game, not as good as the first one. Simply down to the lack of character development. Watching Joel go from being a miserable old man having to haul a kid around to acting as if she was his daughter was beautiful to see.

Still cant wait to get back on and play more of it though. So cant be all bad. I also like the fact that there are plenty of times, when you enter an area with enemies wandering around, you cant just sit in the place you start and scope it out. Quite often within seconds you have a group of enemies bearing down on you so you have to act quick. Also the dogs makes it a much more intense experience as you cant really dispatch of the dog without alerting other people.

Currently playing it on normal mode but I fancy having a go on hard mode. I managed to finish TLOU on the hardest setting so will give this a go

On 06/07/2020 at 15:22, kingcarr21 said:

Im about 18 hours in now. Im enjoying the game as much as I expected to. You always get the hype train over AAA games being 'Greatest game ever made'. Which is just nonsense.

So far for me its a solid game, not as good as the first one. Simply down to the lack of character development. Watching Joel go from being a miserable old man having to haul a kid around to acting as if she was his daughter was beautiful to see.

Still cant wait to get back on and play more of it though. So cant be all bad. I also like the fact that there are plenty of times, when you enter an area with enemies wandering around, you cant just sit in the place you start and scope it out. Quite often within seconds you have a group of enemies bearing down on you so you have to act quick. Also the dogs makes it a much more intense experience as you cant really dispatch of the dog without alerting other people.

Currently playing it on normal mode but I fancy having a go on hard mode. I managed to finish TLOU on the hardest setting so will give this a go

My favourite part of this so far was when I was in a thorough shit situation with people and monsters after me so I threw an object in the direction of the people and the all fought and killed each other lol .

Like you say, great game but for the same reasons as you have stated it’s not a patch on the first.

On 06/07/2020 at 15:22, kingcarr21 said:

One thing that this game definitely has over the first is that the combat is much harder with the big group encounters, they stressed me out so much more than any encounter I experienced in the first game

Try all guns blazing and multiple people will flank you and just batter you, can't even back yourself into a corner because then they just molotov you

Try and be sneaky then you have the chance that a dog can catch your scent, then you have to keep moving whilst staying out of site and not making any noise, trying to take people out with no one else seeing you do it

Doesn't quite have the story telling of the first game but still a very good game for me, just started my 2nd playthrough to get any collectables I missed for that Platinum trophy

10 hours ago, moore_94 said:

One thing that this game definitely has over the first is that the combat is much harder with the big group encounters, they stressed me out so much more than any encounter I experienced in the first game

Try all guns blazing and multiple people will flank you and just batter you, can't even back yourself into a corner because then they just molotov you

Try and be sneaky then you have the chance that a dog can catch your scent, then you have to keep moving whilst staying out of site and not making any noise, trying to take people out with no one else seeing you do it

Doesn't quite have the story telling of the first game but still a very good game for me, just started my 2nd playthrough to get any collectables I missed for that Platinum trophy

Yea I do like the groups of enemies and having to stealthily take them out. Really have to think about what you are doing.

One boss fight I have just had I couldn't do so had to drop the difficulty as I couldn't be bothered to keep dying lol. On hard mode that boss will be ridiculous

18 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Just finished this, enjoyed it more and more as it went on to be fair.

I also finished this last night and don't know what to make of the ending. The ending I thought was going to happen didn't materialize. Which im actually disappointed with as I thought this ending was a bit naff.

Also I watched all the credits in the hope of something more from the ending. There wasn't anything.

Overall the game was enjoyable but the ending has left me a little bit meh.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

I also finished this last night and don't know what to make of the ending. The ending I thought was going to happen didn't materialize. Which im actually disappointed with as I thought this ending was a bit naff.

Also I watched all the credits in the hope of something more from the ending. There wasn't anything.

Overall the game was enjoyable but the ending has left me a little bit meh.

Yeah I watched all of the credits expecting something as well lol.

I think the way the story switches made people think it would end at a certain point and in a certain way. There are a few theory’s about what the ending scene on reddit so it’s worth a look.

On 17/07/2020 at 17:56, chapero82 said:

I think the ending should have been left at the farm first time round 

I think the ending they have given it has definitely left it open in such a way they could bring out DLC if they wanted to take it any further, possibly even playing as Dina going back to Jackson, something happens then get to play as Ellie rescuing her and JJ?

Edited by moore_94

6 hours ago, moore_94 said:

I think the ending they have given it has definitely left it open in such a way they could bring out DLC if they wanted to take it any further, possibly even playing as Dina going back to Jackson, something happens then get to play as Ellie rescuing her and JJ?

Yeah, they definitely didn’t have any opportunity to squeeze that into the 30 odd hours.

I read a theory from Reddit that suggests the above had already happened and Ellie is only going back to get the guitar.

Finished it the other day, I really enjoyed it. Controversial to say the least but I thought Naughty Dog did a really good job of it. It was always going to be hard to hit the expectations of the first game but I wasn’t disappointed and hopefully there will be a third.

• Like 2

Finished it few weeks ago on Hard difficulty. The game wasn't particularly hard though. Stealthing is way to easy when you go prone. I enjoyed the story and was gripped for the most part but it did feel a bit weaker than the first game. The whole REVENGE REVENGE REVENGE IS BAD. Gets a bit stale and repetitive. Would have been nice to see a bit more to the story than just a revenge plot on steroids. Still you can't deny the games quality. Feels like a hbo show at times. 

I'm starting to struggle with this game, I've nearly finished Seattle Day 3 2 so I should be pumped for the upcoming encounter but I'm just finding it a bit dull, the encounters are just a bit boring and samey apart from a few variations, the constant barrage of brutal images is getting to me, to the point where I am actively avoiding encounters where I can, just sneak through rather than see another human brutally murdered up close. Exploring and reading notes and finding collectibles is getting tedious, the game is too long and too big for the level of exploring you are encouraged to do. First part with Ellie there were some cool little puzzles to get to secret areas, but that stopped when playing with Abby. They really missed a trick to change up the game play significantly with the second playable character. It's just same shit different weapons I thought she would at least have kept the dog with her to add a new gameplay element.

For the storyline, I'm still undecided, there is one element that needs to be resolved well to make it all make sense to me, but if they miss that then it could just become a mess. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

I'm starting to struggle with this game, I've nearly finished Seattle Day 3 2 so I should be pumped for the upcoming encounter but I'm just finding it a bit dull, the encounters are just a bit boring and samey apart from a few variations, the constant barrage of brutal images is getting to me, to the point where I am actively avoiding encounters where I can, just sneak through rather than see another human brutally murdered up close. Exploring and reading notes and finding collectibles is getting tedious, the game is too long and too big for the level of exploring you are encouraged to do. First part with Ellie there were some cool little puzzles to get to secret areas, but that stopped when playing with Abby. They really missed a trick to change up the game play significantly with the second playable character. It's just same shit different weapons I thought she would at least have kept the dog with her to add a new gameplay element.

For the storyline, I'm still undecided, there is one element that needs to be resolved well to make it all make sense to me, but if they miss that then it could just become a mess. 

Well I wasn't keen on the ending so it looks like you will be disappointed all round lol 

There are some good Abby moments (which I obviously wont delve into) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/07/2020 at 08:38, kingcarr21 said:

Yea I do like the groups of enemies and having to stealthily take them out. Really have to think about what you are doing.

One boss fight I have just had I couldn't do so had to drop the difficulty as I couldn't be bothered to keep dying lol. On hard mode that boss will be ridiculous

I assume you mean this boss? 

A real confrontation with The Rat King only occurs in a larger flooded room - The Last of Us 2: The Rat King guide, how to kill? Boss fight walkthrough - Enemies - The Last of Us 2 Guide

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iamafox said:

I assume you mean this boss? 

A real confrontation with The Rat King only occurs in a larger flooded room - The Last of Us 2: The Rat King guide, how to kill? Boss fight walkthrough - Enemies - The Last of Us 2 Guide

The only hard thing about that boss was I couldn't fvcking see anything even with the crappy torch on I just constantly got stuck on scenery. Took a few goes to figure out what the layout of the encounter was then it was fairly easy unload into it, run away, collect, craft, reload, repeat.

All of that to get supplies for someone you've just met for no real reason as they could have tried to save her life with what they had, risky admittedly but not as risky as traversing wooden bridges in scar infested territory, to hit WLF territory and then clear out a massively infected area that a whole army deemed to dangerous to clear for her to just die anyway. It just seemed really poor convoluted plotting.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
11 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Just finished this. I wonder, did anyone else try to deliberately lose the final battle like I did?

When you are doing the fight in the theatre whilst playing as Abby, I let Ellie kill me quite a few times lol

I actually just started another playthrough the other day to pick up the rest of the collectables and upgrades that I missed 1st time around, except I have turned on unlimited ammo etc. and is great fun just spraying everything in my way down haha

6 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Just finished this. I wonder, did anyone else try to deliberately lose the final battle like I did?

Kinda, I had no enjoyment in the ending, in fact I felt the whole thing was confused and made no sense, and the chance to conclude it satisfactorily was spectacularly missed.