Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

Weekend in London (on the cheap)

On 3/2/2018 at 20:34, Unabomber said:

I went to dishoom carnaby when I went to London last month and it was absolutely amazing food. I like the porterhouse pub near Covent Garden great selection of beers. @Voll Blau

Porterhouse was spot on, but a shame half their beers were off when I went in. Pricey too, but what you gonna do in that part of town.

Tried Dishoom but had no chance of getting in, so went to some gaff called Bill's round the corner instead which was decent value. Ended up going to Dishoom Carnaby yesterday and the food was proper. Well worth the 45 minute wait, which also gave me a chance to get a couple of their excellent IPAs down my neck.

3 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Tried Dishoom but had no chance of getting in, so went to some gaff called Bill's round the corner instead which was decent value. Ended up going to Dishoom Carnaby yesterday and the food was proper. Well worth the 45 minute wait, which also gave me a chance to get a couple of their excellent IPAs down my neck.

Dishooms a great place - good choice! 

I'm surprised, but actually pleased, by how slow Dishoom's expansion has been. For a couple of years it's been near impossible to not have to queue at most breakfasts, and pretty much every normal lunch and dinner time at any of the branches, but it's only just opened its sixth branch. 

On 02/03/2018 at 14:59, Voll Blau said:

Any food/pub recommendations for Waterloo, Camden Town or Covent Garden sort of areas? Always like to try new places in The Smoke.

The Harp in Covent Garden is one of my favourite pubs if you don't already know it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bovril said:

The Harp in Covent Garden is one of my favourite pubs if you don't already know it.

Did an inspection in there couple of weeks ago! Never even noticed it before, tbh. Small place with really good beer and a team in there that believe in what they do - good choice :thumbup:

Maple Leaf is decent as well - just off Covent Garden

Edited by Milo

• 2 months later...
55 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Out for tea near St Paul's on Friday evening. Any decent pubs nearby that won't be chocka with Cityboy wankers late afternoon? I've never had a decent time drinking round there.

If you don't mind a 10/15 minute walk to St Paul's then you might be best off up towards Barbican/Farringdon/Clerkenwell. Less likely to be fully of City boys at that time. Don't really know what's around there apart from going in the Jerusalem a couple of times which from what I remember was decent enough.

But yeah Friday might be a struggle

Edited by Kopfkino
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Out for tea near St Paul's on Friday evening. Any decent pubs nearby that won't be chocka with Cityboy wankers late afternoon? I've never had a decent time drinking round there.

As Kopfinko says, Jerusalem Tavern has St Peter's beers tapped straight from the cask, their mild and porter are delicious. Quite small though so will be crowded. The Viaduct Tavern is quite nice, Fullers pub I think so the usual range. The Red Cow next to Smithfields has lesser known beers in bottle and on tap.

• Thanks 1

When we go to London, we stay right in the outskirts and just travel in and out. Not ideal but saves a fortune. There's a village branded hotel in Watford near Stanmore that we got for £18 bed and breakfast back in an offer they had on in March. Has very basic spa and gym facilities too plus full bar and restaurant. Travel time is about 5 minute taxi to stanmore and less than half an hour to the centre on the tube for not much too and they run most of the time.  

Bit inconvenient but rooms are really nice and so much cheaper. Plus bang off the M1 so really easy drive to / from Leics.

• Like 3

Going London last weekend of this month to see Liam Gallagher at Finsbury park. Anyone know any decent places for tasty beers and food around wherever Finsbury park is and also around elephant and castle way as that's where our Airbnb is. Any tips are much appreciated

1 hour ago, Samilktray said:

Going London last weekend of this month to see Liam Gallagher at Finsbury park. Anyone know any decent places for tasty beers and food around wherever Finsbury park is and also around elephant and castle way as that's where our Airbnb is. Any tips are much appreciated

There's a pub called the Faltering Fullback on Perth Road (5 mins from Finsbury Park station), pretty decent beer and food. They've also got a brilliant beer garden.

2 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Not sure about Finsbury Park but know a couple of good places in Kentish Town which is a short overground ride from Islington tube station (one stop from Finsbuy). Southampton Arms is the best one in Kentish Town, one of the best in London. 

Edited by bovril

On 08/06/2018 at 14:47, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

I’ve got to go to London in a few weeks and being tight booked a train for 5.55am because it was £1. Is there anywhere anyone knows off open at 7am that’s any good?

I used to head for Smithfields when in need of a 7am Guinness and fry up*. Fox and Anchor used to be open from about then for the meat market workers. I assume it's still the case. Good atmosphere, mixture of meat traders, tourists and city boys (but actually better than that sounds!). 

Either St Pauls or Chancery Lane tube will get you there. 

*Which was more often than it should have been  :whistle:

• Like 1

On 08/06/2018 at 11:48, Samilktray said:

Mate, Elephant & Castle is like a bad Braunstone...:nono:

Stick to going out/eating centrally