Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

President Trump & the USA

So the US stock market is tanking... huge fall last week and a record day’s loss again last night.

As usual, financial guys try and give us a reason for the sell off; new Director at the Fed and worries of interest rate rises i’ve seen given I think.

Yet i’m not buying that, given the ‘suprise’ in the City at the fall and almost the alarm crisis like reaction the stock fall seems to represent. My suspicions are raised that a significant few know of some significant future events? Could this signal the start of an end game? 

46 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

So the US stock market is tanking... huge fall last week and a record day’s loss again last night.

As usual, financial guys try and give us a reason for the sell off; new Director at the Fed and worries of interest rate rises i’ve seen given I think.

Yet i’m not buying that, given the ‘suprise’ in the City at the fall and almost the alarm crisis like reaction the stock fall seems to represent. My suspicions are raised that a significant few know of some significant future events? Could this signal the start of an end game? 

I think it's more that there's been a long period of steady growth, economies are recovering, interest rates are likely to go up and at the first sign of changing sentiment markets overreact.  There's nothing weird about it - as is always the case, people have short memories and accept what's been happening as the norm.

Will Trump take responsibility for the drop? He was happy to associate himself with the rise, which I don't remember a politician doing, ever.

Buying opportunity, lads

On 01/02/2018 at 16:55, leicsmac said:

Thank you. Actually been thinking about the economics-social snafu recently, and it seems like a very chicken and egg scenario to me - do economic issues lead to social issues, or did the idea that humans are tribal exist before money was a thing and economics was just another way of exercising it?

I've said it before and I'll say it again - economics is only any good to a civilisation that is stable enough to run an economic system in the first place, which implies there are higher-priority things.

I'll add my own take on your points one at a time:

- I'm thinking the tax cut stuff he's doing might be successful in the future, but in such a field the very definition of success is so subjective you could get ten different definitions from five different economists anyway. Very nebulous.

- Backing Israel is obviously good for business and they are the only stable democratic country in the area, but not backing off from the Saudis at the same time makes that look a mite hypocritical.

- No reason to suggest his moves have had any effect on what North Korea is doing now - could be coincidental and again if you ask different people you'll get different answers. If they are having an effect, however, answering threats with like threats is a pretty dangerous game - I know we possibly disagree on this point but the NK's are going to do nothing overt unless the US attacks them first, so why make them believe that you will?

- Why exactly does the UN deserve to be browbeaten? If the US wants to change the way that it does things, surely it would be better off convincing them as to a better course of action rather than doing the diplomatic equivalent of taking their ball and going home. Saying that they won't be a part of discussions unless the world dances to the US tune isn't productive when there is so much work to be done.

- As I said to Webbo above, I'm not sure why heinous acts are any less heinous because folks have told you they're going to do them beforehand

I do appreciate the discussion, debating about this and having some defence of what he's is interesting rather than no reply at all.

Any take on scientific policy, at all?

Little interest in scientific policy. I want to see more money for exploring the universe etc and medical research etc but putting more money in pockets and creating jobs for normal people certainly comes way above that.

The UN has been anti-American for a while now, where do you want? How about removing it from the human rights commission whilst adding Syria and Lebanon to it? Consistently opposing it's motions, the amount of times it condemns Israel but gives a free pass to other countries around it, I'm on my phone now and can't google properly but I'll happily drag up some examples later.

The amazing thing is the US contributes about 20 of it's budget or something? Why it keeps throwing money at countries and organisations that hate it baffles me, that's coming to an end as well.

On 03/02/2018 at 07:54, toddybad said:

His choices on environmental policy, Israel, and his needless ratcheting up of problems with Korea and Iran are all big negatives. As is the loss of American idealism and leadership internationally. Where once the US would have been at the forefront of international consensus it's currently less valued than it was 12 months ago. You look at climate change or Iran and other countries are now looking at how to take ownership without, or despite, America.

Soft power is important. It greases the wheels of world politics in favour of the West. Hard right Americanism is losing this soft power and Russia and China are filling the gaps. This is making both the us and the rest of the world less safe than 12 months ago.

As for his economic policies, it makes me smile somewhat that Matt is cheerleading a budget that's added something like £1.5 trillion to the American national debt.

In your opinion they are bad things, the hard line with Korea is already paying dividends, his stance on Israel is just a assertion of what is US government policy and has been for twenty years. Out of interest do you really think Russia is currently using "soft power"? lol to get where it is? I must have imagined it annexing another state and being the leading player in the World's biggest civil warzone.

As for the last point, that's the third time you have thrown that at me and for the third time in reply, I think adding that sort of amount to the debt is actually quite irresponsible, he's taking a chance that his reduction in overall taxes will create more money being repatriated and we'll have to see how that goes, what you propose is adding that sort of amount to a debt whilst increasing corporation tax, which is politics that wouldn't even be dreamed up by the cast of One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest. A policy doomed to fail as it's been tried and tested numerous times.

1 hour ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

It;s very possible this is people cashing in profits on what does look a very good point to sell.

Although if DT is prepared to claim he was responsible for the rise he also has to take his responsibility for the loss.

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Little interest in scientific policy. I want to see more money for exploring the universe etc and medical research etc but putting more money in pockets and creating jobs for normal people certainly comes way above that.

The UN has been anti-American for a while now, where do you want? How about removing it from the human rights commission whilst adding Syria and Lebanon to it? Consistently opposing it's motions, the amount of times it condemns Israel but gives a free pass to other countries around it, I'm on my phone now and can't google properly but I'll happily drag up some examples later.

The amazing thing is the US contributes about 20 of it's budget or something? Why it keeps throwing money at countries and organisations that hate it baffles me, that's coming to an end as well.

In your opinion they are bad things, the hard line with Korea is already paying dividends, his stance on Israel is just a assertion of what is US government policy and has been for twenty years. Out of interest do you really think Russia is currently using "soft power"? lol to get where it is? I must have imagined it annexing another state and being the leading player in the World's biggest civil warzone.

As for the last point, that's the third time you have thrown that at me and for the third time in reply, I think adding that sort of amount to the debt is actually quite irresponsible, he's taking a chance that his reduction in overall taxes will create more money being repatriated and we'll have to see how that goes, what you propose is adding that sort of amount to a debt whilst increasing corporation tax, which is politics that wouldn't even be dreamed up by the cast of One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest. A policy doomed to fail as it's been tried and tested numerous times.

It;s very possible this is people cashing in profits on what does look a very good point to sell.

Although if DT is prepared to claim he was responsible for the rise he also has to take his responsibility for the loss.

Honestly think you live on a different planet to the rest of us.

21 minutes ago, toddybad said:

If that planet is away from those who think Russia is using soft power in the World I'm happy to be on it. 

25 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Trump is more traditional republican than he's given credit for.  It's not outlandish to think that his policies are liked by the centre-right even if his rhetoric and unstatesmanlike approach are disliked by them.

I thought this was a very interesting article (link below)

https://thefifthwave.wordpress.com/2018/01/03/the-schizoid-presidency-of-donald-trump/ 

Edited by breadandcheese

10 minutes ago, MattP said:

If that planet is away from those who think Russia is using soft power in the World I'm happy to be on it. 

Just because it has used military might on some occasions doesn't mean it doesn't use soft power elsewhere. It has alliances based on diplomacy and mutual interests. The US has caused more wars than anybody yet still uses soft power.

I mean, honestly, you claim Trump's stance towards North Korea is paying dividends? Since he's been in they've fired rockets over Japan, competed both icbm and nuke research to the degree they can probably get to the us mainland and have reached their stated aims. Where are the dividends? 

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, MattP said:

Quite apart from scientific R & D being a money-spinner in of itself reasonably often, scientific research is what keeps people alive for longer and lifts people out of poverty around the world. Why not fund it?

The UN is pushing back on Israel because Israel, quite frankly, is doing shitty stuff and the US doesn't like that Israel can no longer commit human rights abuses with impunity in the region just because the US is the biggest world player and they've said that Israel can. I'd agree that the attitude towards the countries around it needs to shift to match, though - dirty conflict all round.

If the US honestly thinks that parts of the world hate it - and I wouldn't disagree - then pulling up the drawbridge isn't really going to help this situation and it just looks like they want these countries to hate them as an excuse to treat them badly in return. Whatever happened to being the better guy?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MattP said:

Bizarre how much public opinion fluctuates on this....

IMG_20180206_193231.jpg

I'd like to see him here, provided there's a parade. I'd like to see how they reported the way the British public received him. I don't think America does dissent at all, so it would be amusing to see the response.

2 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

I'd like to see him here, provided there's a parade. I'd like to see how they reported the way the British public received him. I don't think America does dissent at all, so it would be amusing to see the response.

Problem with that is London doesn't represent wider Britain. In most cases it seems to represent the opposite. 

53 minutes ago, MattP said:

Bizarre how much public opinion fluctuates on this....

IMG_20180206_193231.jpg

It's probably about whether or not he's being weird and funny or crazy annoying at any given time. 

I think a lot of people in this country view him as a wacko, oddball curiosity as much or probably more than a political figure and I imagine the results of those polls probably reflect that. 

Yknow people will probably vote yes just to watch him turn up and see what happens. 

Edited by Finnegan

1 hour ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

If there were a million protestors (I don't think there would be btw) he'd simply claim it as a huge turnout for him. 

3 hours ago, MattP said:

Problem with that is London doesn't represent wider Britain. In most cases it seems to represent the opposite. 

While that might be true, you'd have to be a pretty special kind of idiot to think Trump was a good thing, and acceptable president, or anything but a criminal escaping conviction through the ability to hire astonishingly expensive lawyers.

2 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Really?

Yeah. The division of ideology in the US seems so distinct that no one bothers to appraise the specific situation at any time. The red states are happy now and don't care who is in charge as long as he rides an elephant, the blue states are unhappy, and wouldn't be significantly happier even with a competent Republican president.

Given the number of gun toting maniacs in America, it's a national embarrassment that there's not even been an attempt to assassinate him.