Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

President Trump & the USA

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

At least those passing these cuts should be honest enough to say that they simply don't give a toss and/or think the next life will be the one that matters, rather than quoting the same old BS above.

Scott Pruitt (Trumps appointee at the EPA) has kind of just done that hasn't he? 

1 minute ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Scott Pruitt (Trumps appointee at the EPA) has kind of just done that hasn't he? 

Nah, he's used the same smokescreen various others have on this one by spinning the debate out and thus providing an opportunity for whoever wants to to make their money (thus implying that the market will somehow sort this out), rather than flat out admitting the above.

1 minute ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Doesn't believe CO2 is directly related to climate change? That's pretty much "I don't give a toss".

Still allows him wiggle room to claim "Of course I care about the environment, we're just caring for it the wrong way!" Total bollocks of course, but allows him deniability nonetheless.

19 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Still allows him wiggle room to claim "Of course I care about the environment, we're just caring for it the wrong way!" Total bollocks of course, but allows him deniability nonetheless.

For me, this policy area of a Trump is probably the biggest issue I have as a non US citizen because these decisions have the potential to impact the long term future of the whole world. 

But this is a long standing Republican position isn't it, partly down to the major interests that fund it? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

For me, this policy area of a Trump is probably the biggest issue I have as a non US citizen because these decisions have the potential to impact the long term future of the whole world. 

But this is a long standing Republican position isn't it, partly down to the major interests that fund it? 

Yes and yes.

This is in fact the most important issue out there as every other issue (economic, social, whatever) needs a stable environment in which to be applied. So even if this administration made reasonable decisions on every single other issue, that they're getting this one wrong would cancel them all out.

And yes, the Repubs have a big interest from corporations that would very much like to maintain the status quo of short term gain while disregarding the environment. The official line is "Let the states/market care for it!", but the explanation above says why that's fallacious and merely a smokescreen for disregard for the future.

13 hours ago, Facecloth said:

They weren't invented in Rincy's childhood lol 

Thanks pal.

I did not know that security cameras were invented especially to keep an eye on  foreigners. Thought they were yhere to catch the old codgers swerving on the roads. :) But I should not think that as it is labelling all older people the same.

I wonder if Trump's plans have anything to do with oil, trade and where the US military are situated? Which of the countries on the list do the USA sell or have sold arms to? 

• Like 1

On 10 March 2017 at 10:04, Rincewind said:

Thanks pal.

I did not know that security cameras were invented especially to keep an eye on  foreigners. Thought they were yhere to catch the old codgers swerving on the roads. :) But I should not think that as it is labelling all older people the same.

I wonder if Trump's plans have anything to do with oil, trade and where the US military are situated? Which of the countries on the list do the USA sell or have sold arms to? 

Nor are they a measure of crime increase.

But really, whats the point of arguing with such ridiculousness.

Immediately after the election Trump transition spokesman Jason Miller explained that Melania would be staying in New York because there was "obviously a sensitivity to pulling out a 10-year-old in the middle of the school year". Sounds reasonable, right?

It has since been learned that the cost of security for Melania and Barron to remain at Trump Tower is $183 million/year. There is also no indication that they will actually move to DC this summer. So in essence the Federal government is giving the Trump family a $183 million annual voucher so Barron can attend the elite private prep school of his choice.

Meanwhile, we learned last night that Trump's budget cuts plan would completely eliminate funding for the National Endowment for the Arts. The NEA, with an annual budget of only $148 million, is able to provide seed money for arts programming in literally every Congressional district in the country.

So, on the one hand you have a $183 million school voucher for a single 10-year-old at an elite private school. On the other hand you have a program that impacts arts and cultural programming throughout the entire nation.

Priorities, right?

• Like 1

The Merkel visit stuff is amazing.

Just when you think Trump can't out-do his previous lows, he steps up to the plate.

He's now had the leaders of Japan and Germany rolling their eyes at his antics on camera.  Some going...

45 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

The Merkel visit stuff is amazing.

Just when you think Trump can't out-do his previous lows, he steps up to the plate.

He's now had the leaders of Japan and Germany rolling their eyes at his antics on camera.  Some going...

It's a real worry, isn't it?

He has neither the intelligence or the dignity required of a World leader.

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Immediately after the election Trump transition spokesman Jason Miller explained that Melania would be staying in New York because there was "obviously a sensitivity to pulling out a 10-year-old in the middle of the school year". Sounds reasonable, right?

It has since been learned that the cost of security for Melania and Barron to remain at Trump Tower is $183 million/year. There is also no indication that they will actually move to DC this summer. So in essence the Federal government is giving the Trump family a $183 million annual voucher so Barron can attend the elite private prep school of his choice.

Meanwhile, we learned last night that Trump's budget cuts plan would completely eliminate funding for the National Endowment for the Arts. The NEA, with an annual budget of only $148 million, is able to provide seed money for arts programming in literally every Congressional district in the country.

So, on the one hand you have a $183 million school voucher for a single 10-year-old at an elite private school. On the other hand you have a program that impacts arts and cultural programming throughout the entire nation.

Priorities, right?

If that's true it's just bonkers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

It is all but a game.

"Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other."

-- Oscar Ameringer

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

The facts of the situation are in evidence - Melania and Barron are staying in NYC and are using Secret Service for it at public money expense and there's no guarantee they'll move as they said they would, and the budget cuts proposed target the NEA.

The only thing that needs checking is the exact numbers involved, though even if the ones quoted above aren't true I would think the cost of security for one year for Melania and Barron at Trump Tower wouldn't be too far away from that amount, or at least close to the 150ish mill that forms the NEA budget.

I only wish that I was surprised. You could sub in the money for the cuts being made to the EPA too.

Surely he will get impeached before too long?. He appears to me as something of a megalomaniac, and doubtful sanity. It is worrying that someone like him can wield such power

I dread the scenario of him being confrontational, with North Korea, at some time in the future. Even his advisors come over as being irrational. We have a recipe for disaster, bouncing around on the brink of a cliff.

13 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Surely he will get impeached before too long?. He appears to me as something of a megalomaniac, and doubtful sanity. It is worrying that someone like him can wield such power

I dread the scenario of him being confrontational, with North Korea, at some time in the future. Even his advisors come over as being irrational. We have a recipe for disaster, bouncing around on the brink of a cliff.

It's a possibility, but the Repub majority in both Houses aren't going to go that way unless they really, really have to and have a plan in place.

Regarding the second paragraph, you'd like to hope that cooler heads will prevail and also that the NK leadership value self-preservation over everything else (right now they can't really hit the US so anything they start they would inevitably lose) but...who knows?

3 hours ago, China Black said:

The American people were just stupid to vote him in.

Somewhat true. While the support is there he will hang on to power.. Don't know about bouncing on the brink of a cliff. More like one of those cartoons where he is sawing the branch of a tree and sitting on the outside and underneath is a hungry lion.

Another scenario that comes to mind is from a Discworld book and the character is hanging by his fingers from a branch and Death is below sitting cross legged sharpening his scythe,. and saying,  'I CAN WAIT YOU KNOW, YOU CAN#T HANG ON FOREVER'

(I believe it was Rincewind.)

Edited by Rincewind
  • Like 1

If he indeed has been found out in contacting Russian authorities, why wasn't these investigations done before or during the presidential election process?

Hence doubt any finding outcome will change anything now unfortunately.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

6 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

Watching the House Intelligence Committee, I will be amazed if Trump

serves a full term.

As above, it needs the Repub controlled House and Senate to agree to nix him and that will take a lot of doing.

2 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

If he indeed has been found out in contact Russian authorities, why wasn't these investigations done before or during the presidential election process?

Hence doubt any finding outcome will change anything now unfortunately.

Good question. Personally I don't think things will change rapidly, but not because it's taken this long for things to come to the surface, but rather because the Repubs don't want to risk the kind of upheaval that would leave them out in the cold.