Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

President Trump & the USA

10 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Given how hard Obama had to fight to get the legislation in place in the first place, I'm pleasantly pleased that it gets to live a little longer at least.

Its also an interesting turnaround, given the Republicans castigated the original Obamacare bill when it was put forward. At that time they had managed to move some popular disent against the unknown, where as now there's popular discord against scraping the original bill,  so it just goes to show how hollow politicians can be when votes are riding on an issue.

Like most things politicians will say things in opposition which will be the most politically effective, but, like over here most politicians don't have a political philosophy or any principles. The ones that do are called names and dismissed because they are not 'centrist'.

The major problem with Obamacare is that it allows people to get insurance after they become ill, infact it also encourages them to do so because the mandates makes the annual fees so expensive it makes paying the fine the most economical solution. You cannot pretend to have a marketplace and force such poorly thought regulation on it.

Did previous PotUS always sign new orders with such a media circus? I don't remember seeing one, but every time Trump has made a major new order or repealed an old one, it's a photo shoot with him sat there, pursed lips with an over earnest expression on his face looking like a schoolboy trying to impress teacher.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

13 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Did previous PotUS always sign new orders with such a media circus? I don't remember seeing one, but every time Trump has made a major new order or repealed an old one, it's a photo shoot with him sat there, pursed lips with an over earnest expression on his face looking like a schoolboy trying to impress teacher.

They always do a commemorative photo for bill signings, it's the amount of controversy surrounding the bills that's unusual and why we see more of the signings than we generally did before, that and Trump's been handing out EOs like they're going out of fashion so there's been more of them condensed into a shorter time frame than normal.

49 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Isn't this the bellend that was saying you don't ask for immunity unless you've broken the law? lol

Couldn't make it up really. 

Sad state of affairs. Politics in general (in most countries) is shambolic but i guess we just hear about their's more often.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39475178

All talk of course, and I'm reasonably sure that the US could take on NK by itself as the Chinese would likely not want to risk WW3 by intervening if the US committed. (Still think the US has a secret deal with the Chinese should something happen - no intervention, reunification, all US presence leaves.)

Though it would be devastating for a country I spent rather a lot of time in.

But it doesn't matter that much - the status quo suits everyone with influence.

9 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39475178

All talk of course, and I'm reasonably sure that the US could take on NK by itself as the Chinese would likely not want to risk WW3 by intervening if the US committed. (Still think the US has a secret deal with the Chinese should something happen - no intervention, reunification, all US presence leaves.)

Though it would be devastating for a country I spent rather a lot of time in.

But it doesn't matter that much - the status quo suits everyone with influence.

Sounds to me like Trump is trying to shake things up and force China's hand. It's their client state, it's up to them to put things right.

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Sounds to me like Trump is trying to shake things up and force China's hand. It's their client state, it's up to them to put things right.

As much as I'd like to see them do that, I can't see it happening unless serious incentives and assurances are offered. The kind that Trump wouldn't probably be prepared to offer as it would kill a lot of his home support.

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

As much as I'd like to see them do that, I can't see it happening unless serious incentives and assurances are offered. The kind that Trump wouldn't probably be prepared to offer as it would kill a lot of his home support.

I wouldn't worry about his home support, he doesn't have much, and the ones that do support him call him god-emperor. He can, and has, just denied he ever said what he said, and they accept it and defend his new position.

If we've learned anything from the War in Iraq, it would be that the military operation is not the tough part. The issue is nation building. Why invest american lives and treasure to try and rebuild a crumbling mess so far away, when we have issues in our own backyard.

Just now, Detroit Blues said:

If we've learned anything from the War in Iraq, it would be that the military operation is not the tough part. The issue is nation building. Why invest american lives and treasure to try and rebuild a crumbling mess so far away, when we have issues in our own backyard.

To get re-elected. Presidents that start wars tend to be voted back in during the war.

As you know, American's consider all 'veterans' to be heroes and treat them with a lot of deference. He'll drum up so much (misplaced) patriotic feelings amongst his base that he'll be re-elected.

• Like 1

America is not going to invade NK. I'd guess we're talking about sending a couple of missiles to military sites. Not that I think that's what's going to happen. China needs to have a word in some general's ear and promise him support and this could be over very quickly.

51 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

I wouldn't worry about his home support, he doesn't have much, and the ones that do support him call him god-emperor. He can, and has, just denied he ever said what he said, and they accept it and defend his new position.

I was talking more about the general Repub base when it comes to trade, but I can see what you mean.

21 minutes ago, Webbo said:

America is not going to invade NK. I'd guess we're talking about sending a couple of missiles to military sites. Not that I think that's what's going to happen. China needs to have a word in some general's ear and promise him support and this could be over very quickly.

If the Chinese had the capacity and inclination to do that I think it would have happened already.

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

If the Chinese had the capacity and inclination to do that I think it would have happened already.

I wonder if the present situation doesn't suit China, being the only country with any influence over a bunch of maniacs means the other countries in the neighbourhood need to keep them sweet, and it's a distraction from China's expansion in the South China Sea.