Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Teaching Your Kids to Drive

My 18 yr old daughter is desperate to learn to drive and is bugging me to take her out for some experience. She hasn't had any formal lessons yet but we plan to have some as well as driving with me.

I was wondering if any FT members have taught their son/daughter to drive and how they found it went. Was it stressful?

I'm apprehensive about not being in control of the car if a situation arose. If we do go out it will be on a nearby industrial estate on a Sunday when it's quietest or in a small village at least until she has some confidence in using the road.

6 minutes ago, Parafox said:

My 18 yr old daughter is desperate to learn to drive and is bugging me to take her out for some experience. She hasn't had any formal lessons yet but we plan to have some as well as driving with me.

I was wondering if any FT members have taught their son/daughter to drive and how they found it went. Was it stressful?

I'm apprehensive about not being in control of the car if a situation arose. If we do go out it will be on a nearby industrial estate on a Sunday when it's quietest or in a small village at least until she has some confidence in using the road.

Just pay for the lessons tight git :P

Just now, Parafox said:

The more driving experience she gets the fewer lessons she will need, hopefully.

I'm just kidding, but on a serious note It will probably cost you more for a new clutch than to pay for the lessons.

11 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Pay for a lesson first with an instructor in their motor......

Once they have an understanding of clutch control and observing their moving environment, then let them near your own motor!

Somewhere secluded like the industrial estate you mentioned is best to start off I think. Saying that, I took my brother to drive there for the first time and he still managed to hit a stack of pallets in an otherwise empty car park...

10 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I'm just kidding, but on a serious note It will probably cost you more for a new clutch than to pay for the lessons.

You seen the price of lessons these days?

Just now, potter3 said:

Somewhere secluded like the industrial estate you mentioned is best to start off I think. Saying that, I took my brother to drive there for the first time and he still managed to hit a stack of pallets in an otherwise empty car park...

You seen the price of lessons these days?

£30 per hour at a guess?

New clutch depends on the car I suppose but I'd go with the weekly installment option.

I took my daughter out for some experience but only after she'd  had quite a few lessons. At first it was driving around Asda's carpark on  a Sunday night, then around an industrial estate as she was nearing her test.

Would definitely have about 10 lessons before you put her behind your own motor. The experience only really helps when you understand the basics which a professional will provide infinitely better than you. From the outside it does sound like your being a bit tight.

I've recently passed my test, so from a learners point of view, it would definitely be best to learn with an instructor first and get to know the basics and a bit of confidence before learning in a car which the teacher (or yourself) has no control over.

Also, you can learn by the book from instructors right from the Start. Once confidence and driving skills builds, they can transfer that to your car and practice. 

It's best to use a family/friends car to practice and not to 'learn'. 

All the best though! I can imagine it will be very stressful for you both, especially at the start!

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Absolutely fine, no issues I'd say, wouldn't you agree? @steveherbe lol 

Totally agree mate, neither of us ever got stressed or lost our tempers. Model pupil and insructor IMHO. Except for the time you couldnt do a hill start at roadworks in Twyford, that was funny. Seriously, go to a car park, teach your kid to start, stop, steer, change gear. Once they can do the mechanics, its time for a pro instructor. Worked for us, and Sol is a shit hot driver now.

Guest Mee-9

Yeah, i'd have been more apprehensive if a family member would have took me out. No dual pedals, and if i'd have ballsed up i'd never live it down.

Best bit of advice I can give you in terms of instructors is get a female instructor. They are a lot more patient. Not to be offensive but a few bloke driving instructors think they're big time charlies. My own personal experience was woeful, an older bloke from Thurmaston who would make me do his errands on my lessons. For example one we drove to the court in Town to pick bankrupcy forms up for his son. 

My brother passed first time after about 7 hours driving, no minors, female instructor.

If you want to take her out to get to grips with the basics, the Paprika car park near Thurmaston is used by some instructors ro do off road stuff. Also the Airfield near Melton Mowbray is used a fair bit.

I'd say let her have a fair few lessons first. So she has a basic understanding of how to control the car. 

Then as another poster said just take her to a massive empty car park and let her practice there. 

industrial estate/Car park is definitely first port of call. Let her do a few days of that where you teach all you know, then get the instructor to give some proper lessons  so she is doing the right things and not leanrt your bad habits.. then let her drive everywhere once she is confident to build up her skills.

The first time my daughter took a tricky bend and lost a little control, up onto the kerb and into a houses front garden, as it all got uhgly, she just took her hands off the wheel :o  More lessons needed :)

On 3/5/2017 at 13:07, Parafox said:

Make sure she takes everything slowly, and keep your hand on the handbrake at all times!

For what it's worth, I helped teach my wife, son and daughter to drive. I say 'helped teach' because they had professional lessons, and I think those are essential, and not just to teach them how to pass the test. But my teaching certainly helped reduce the number of lessons they needed - from memory, they each had around 15-20, whereas their friends had maybe twice that.

I didn't find it particularly stressful, but it was much easier back then - no written exams, and fewer cars on the roads. The first few lessons I gave were in the carpark of a local supermarket after closing time (when supermarkets closed at 7:00pm!) and we used to take it very steadily. I used to start off teaching them about clutch control, and my son still remembers learning that. He also recalls my daughter ringing him up (he was at medical school when I taught her) and complaining that "Dad told me not to go so fvcking fast!" To which my son apparently replied: "Yeah, he used to fvck and blind at me. I bet you slowed down though."

And they all passed first time.

Archived