Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Fire at Bradgate Park

24 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Heard there was a ''massive'' fire at Bradgate Park earlier on, anyone else heard/knew about it?

It's on the BBC website, I think it said 1000 square meters destroyed, by probably either a cigarette or a barbecue.

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

4 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

It's on the BBC website, I think it said 1000 square meters destroyed, by probably either a cigarette or a barbecue.

Thanks, hope any culprits get caught if it was indeed a deliberate act.

Haven't been to that area for a while but have heard people mention dogs are often off their leads scaring the deer off, rubbish being dumped in various areas and some camping there and damaging the area they were in.

Prefer Watermead or even Victoria Park if I wanted a good relaxed walk now.

11 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Haven't been to that area for a while but have heard people mention dogs are often off their leads scaring the deer off, rubbish being dumped in various areas and some camping there and damaging the area they were in.

No way can Watermead or Vicky park be anywhere near better than Braggy. The issues reported are one offs that stupid people make happen. The world has no respect for what it has got nowadays.

I suppose you are right that the other two places are a lot quieter so may be less chaotic. 

I also remember them 'removing' the bracken each year. But I think they have rare reptillian species there now that prevents this. Fortunately the investigation of the fire found no signs of having an affect on the species. 

11 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Deliberate? Careless? Put lots of people in a field of bracken and there's always a risk. Even from the sun reflecting on a bottle. Sad though. Probably the best walking in the county on a quiet day, that and places adjacent.      

On 09/04/2017 at 21:15, Wymeswold fox said:

Watermead?

Back when we were at school in Birstall that area was known as Birtstall pits :D, yes they've cleaned it up, stuck a few paths in and a nature reserve area but it's nothing like Bradgate park.

2 minutes ago, promised land said:

Watermead?

Back when we were at school in Birstall that area was known as Birtstall pits :D, yes they've cleaned it up, stuck a few paths in and a nature reserve area but it's nothing like Bradgate park.

It was still fields when I was a lad. :D

They still haven't said exactly what started it. Either a cigarette, BBQ or glass.

Either way, people need to be careful and responsible there to look after one of the county's gems. I bloody love that place!

Tbh, describing it as a massive fire is a huge exaggeration.

I was there on Monday and in reality it was a fairly small area of dried-up bracken that had been burned, and new shoots were already visible.

Archived