Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Harry - LCFC

General Election, June 8th

Not sure where to put this as it's more general politics but couldn't find a general politics thread:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40077241

So Macron admits gripping Trump's hand to "show he would not make small concessions, not even symbolic ones, but also not overdo things" and also says: 

"Donald Trump, the Turkish president or the Russian president see things in terms of power relationships, which doesn't bother me," .

"I don't believe in diplomacy through public criticism but in my bilateral dialogues I don't let anything pass. That is how you get respect."

I'm starting to wonder whether liberal saviour Macron is a bit of a loose cannon himself.

23 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

Fair enough. Bad leader and wrong direction on Brexit could probably sum up what's gone wrong for us.

Yeah I think that's fair, I never disliked Clegg, although I often disagreed with him. He is a much better communicator than Farron and he doesn't have an annoying voice. Obviously they didn't have much choice after the last election. 

Funnily enough Farron did say one thing that stuck with me 'The most impotent creature in the House of Commons is a backbencher of a government with a big majority. You want someone with vim and verve and independent spirit'. But then the trouble is, I don't know who my Lib Dem candidate is, I only got Labours Jewel Mia's leaflet and Nicky Morgan contacted me via email, because I've emailed her a few times before. So it's difficult to vote for someone you know nothing about and hasn't attempted to reach out to you.

It's been a shocking election campaign for all, I've never felt so uninspired, every election I have or atleast attempted to stay up and watch all night through. When the date was announced, I was gutted when I realised I was on holiday and I'd miss it lol, I genuinely could not give less of a shit now.

Maggie stole my milk

MAY WILL STEAL MY PARENTS' HOUSE!

You will have to pay for your care at home if yout assets are more than 100k. Imagine if your parents had just bought a 400k bungalow (South coast prices) to protect their assets!

THERE IS ONLY ONE ALTERNATIVE

52 minutes ago, Strokes said:

The thing is though, if you are right leaning, like me. What other options do you have? UKIP have gone more BNP, there is nothing else. Labour have moved quite far left and the liberal democrats, well I couldn't vote for them based on their unwavering love of Brussels and I couldn't tell you what else they stand for. That's why I've abstained but I can see why people are voting Tory, the other choices offer just as little or even less, for us.

I'm not sure how they offer less. 

Ignoring the personal politics for a moment that Tories are offering nothing but more f the same and that 'same' has achieved absolutely nothing in the  years apart from crap public services. Surely whichever slant you usually have its obvious they have to be voted out? I genuinely don't understand this determination people have to typecast themselves as 'left' or 'right' in order to keep voting for one party no matter what.

9 minutes ago, filthyfox said:

Maggie stole my milk

MAY WILL STEAL MY PARENTS' HOUSE!

You will have to pay for your care at home if yout assets are more than 100k. Imagine if your parents had just bought a 400k bungalow (South coast prices) to protect their assets!

THERE IS ONLY ONE ALTERNATIVE

They will cap it.

15 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Ignoring the personal politics for a moment that Tories are offering nothing but more f the same and that 'same' has achieved absolutely nothing in the  years apart from crap public services. Surely whichever slant you usually have its obvious they have to be voted out? I genuinely don't understand this determination people have to typecast themselves as 'left' or 'right' in order to keep voting for one party no matter what.

I just wrote out a huge reply but my phone just lost it. I'll repost it in the morning mate, time for bed.

10 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

They will cap it.

Oh yeah the wonderful cap which Amber Rudd couldn't even deny could be as high as £300,000. Poor bungalow owners are getting asset stripped by the looks of it because their brain decided to deteriorate. Fvck that might as well chuck yourself into a nuclear reactor, you'll be irradiated to shît and will be growing arms out your arse but at least the care will be free because you've every cancer imaginable.

4 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

You cannot compare the Lib Dems and the Liberals. Two different parties, two different ideals. 

One is a major political party formed by an alliance of the vast majority of the former Liberals and SDP, the other is a rump of former Liberal councilors who refused to join the Lib Dems and have been slowly dwindling since the late 80's.

You'll find the constitution of the rump Liberal party almost identical to that of the Liberal Democrats. How do you think they differ in terms of ideals?

Look-Let's not beat around the bush.

There is absolutely no point voting anything other than red or blue.

I am not a sheep, and will not stick with the colour my Parents chose for me 20 years ago; and I also know that the system is ****ed- anything other than a red or blue vote will only fracture the majority gained.

Choose whichever set of policies you agree with most; or if they are both bad, pick the one that hurts you least.

For me; I don't have a lot; but I want to keep what I do have. Local services have been shafted to oblivion (and we still have a deficit), and my Tory  MP lives in the second largest walled estate in the country (HE CAN NEVER REPRESENT MY WAY OF LIFE!)

I once said "I will never vote Labour"; but, bugger me if I'm voting Tory this time around!

7 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

They will cap it.

Do you even believe that JtH? The tories have dropped manifesto pledges quicker than AJ drops heavyweights after the last two elections and a cap isn't even in (because the policy was no cap) their manifesto! What a crock of BS!

Guest MattP
9 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

I've literally no idea what will happen come polling day. I've not heard anyone who isn't a Tory activist express satisfaction in their intention to vote Tory. The Tories have targeted their most loyal and valuable source of bloc votes with the abandonment of the triple lock, the "dementia tax" and refusal to rule out tax increases despite the tax take being at a historical high. If you thought the Tory party could be relied upon to defend individual freedoms then you would be wrong with plans to construct a surveillance apparatus that China would be envious of. Theresa May claims to be a "strong and stable" leader but shows no strength by hiding from the public and no stability by being the first PM to abandon a manifesto pledge before an election has occurred. Most Tories openly admit they don't want May to lead them into 2022 so we have no idea if she will serve the full term or who will replace her.  

The Lib Dem campaign really has been bad.

Must be so many centre, centre-left and centre-right voters out there looking for a centrist party that's democratic. 

8 hours ago, toddybad said:

It's not obvious they have to go if you think the opposition would be worse.

At least the Tories are offering remotely competent people though to run the great offices of state, which is more than can be said for Labour. 

It has been a disaster of a campaign and I'm convinced any other leader of Labour would have seen a Tory majority avoided, but we are where we are, May should just thank her lucky stars they are offering Corbyn, Abbott, McDonnell and Thornberry to the electorate rather than Umunna, Jarvis, Benn and Cooper.

Sturgeon saying last night she'd prop up Jezza won't do him any favours either. What the hell was he going in Glasgow as well over the weekend? A place he has zero chance of winning a single seat.

Guest MattP
4 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Got a link to that Matt please?

Can't actually find direct quotes but a summary of the IFS press briefing here that says things very similar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40057115

They werent too impressed with the Conservative one either it has to be said. It doesn't appear anyone is being realistic with the finances.

I cannot believe how unbelievably bad the Tories have handled the lead up to the election. TM continually pressing home the point of Strong and Stable suggesting JC would be the polar opposite then showing herself to be Weak and Wobbly. I am a Tory voter but their desperate attempts to show the electorate they are a  party for all with the disastrous attack on the elderly has been baffling.

The fact that hardly any Labour MP's think JC is capable of leading the LP, never mind the Country speaks volumes, add to that Diane Abbot as Home Secretary and that is enough for me to vote Tory but it is with gritted teeth.

I see a song about Theresa May has hit the top 10 in some pop charts. I won't post it here. It is not very flattering and even I do not think it appropriate. 

Anyone else fed up with the GE now?

WHERE WILL YOU BE 8th JUNE?

Where will you be 8th June?
Planet Earth or on the Moon?
Have you had enough of the election hype?
Dribbling mouths uttering shite?
Do you share the Facebook Memes?
Retweet the Twitter feeds?
Have you been taken in by emotional tears?
Have you been fooled by media smears?
After seven years of incompetence and lies.
We need new leaders looking down with different eyes.
A new politician with a new smile
TBH we have not seen that for a while.
So close your eyes and make your choice.
The pin will not make a noise.
Dream away let your imagination fly
Look forward to new incompetence, fresh new lies.

Guest MattP
8 minutes ago, Strokes said:

He is only a backbencher, not knowing specific figures is hardly a scandal.

It's still bad, they should know these things.

Not on the level of the Shadow Chancellor not knowing the deficit mind.

Archived