Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Harry - LCFC

General Election, June 8th

12 minutes ago, MattP said:

It's still bad, they should know these things.

Not on the level of the Shadow Chancellor not knowing the deficit mind.

Yes a party promoting austerity and fiscal responsibility should be well versed. My point was it's no scandal, he is virtually a nobody. 

3 hours ago, MattP said:

Can't actually find direct quotes but a summary of the IFS press briefing here that says things very similar.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40057115

They werent too impressed with the Conservative one either it has to be said. It doesn't appear anyone is being realistic with the finances.

Seems to be that the real position is:

Tory - austerity and tax rises. Don't expect anything else to change (most likely scenario is that public services continue to get worse)

Labour - spending with tax rises and borrowing. Public services should improve, nationalised industries are a step into the unknown to some extent (they worked for a period from the 40s before getting difficult in the 70s much as privatisation worked for a period then got difficult).

It's basically do you want to keep spending tight but have crap and failing public services or do you want to spend, improve services, but see deficit reduction probably take longer. 

As you know, i think its a no contest as tory plans involve minimising tax revenues anyway as there's not enough money in the economy. Rather we pumped some money in and had a country left than destroy everything that remains as we've had for the last 7 years.

Hope over fear.

3 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Plonker. Pretty sick of the pub quiz questions anyway tbqh

Yeah it's getting boring this bullshit line of one upmanship, the media make so many mistakes but seemingly no else is allowed.

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yeah it's getting boring this bullshit line of one upmanship, the media make so many mistakes but seemingly no else is allowed.

It will get worse tonight, Paxman doing the interviews in the Sky/C4 debate. 

I wonder if this will have any impact on the election in N. Ireland? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40081929

Horrendous murder of a bloke in front of his 3-year-old son. Seems to be part of an internal Loyalist (UDA) feud.

Don't suppose it will have much impact on voting over there.

Will be interesting to see the results from N. Ireland as resolving the impasse at Stormont will be in the government's in-tray after the election.

I assume voting will mainly be along tribal lines, as usual, but the turnout in different communities will be interesting, in the wake of the Brexit vote and Stormont breakdown.

I've not seen any TV coverage of the election in N. Ireland. Would be interesting to know whether Brexit is a big issue over there, given concerns over the border.

Brexit seems to have been forgotten about over here, due to furores over social care, the terror attack, leadership issues etc.

Looking forward to the Paxman interviews tonight. I wonder if he'll ask Corbyn if he's alright at the end!

I've only really witnessed 2010 and 2015 elections and the level of incompetence on both sides is astounding in comparison - yet I read on twitter that if the polls are correct, the largest two parties will share more of the vote than they have in decades!

One of my mates from uni is probably the most caricature Tory you will find and even he is saying he may spoil his ballot as he doesn't know whether he can vote for their manifesto. May trying to win an election by hiding is an unusual strategy and something she has done throughout her political career. If the Tories manage to throw this away, she will be remembered as one of the most useless politicians ever. I do not feel confident with her handling Brexit whatsoever.

The less said about Labour the better. Corbyn has to turn up to the debate and call May's bluff - it would be madness not to imo. He should sack Abbott immediately if he wants any chance of making his gains pay off. 

Assuming May wins, it's going to be a very interesting 5 years. Finances will be squeezed further, nobody knows how much of a success we can make out of Brexit, and after 12 years of Tory rule the public might swing in favour of a 'change' whatever the opposition is. That's why it'll be interesting to see whether Labour stay as far to the left as they currently are as I believe they will stand a good chance by 2022 even in their current form.

They will also have to stop members leaving to join the Greens as what happened after and during Blairs reign.

I wonder how many members have left while Corbyn has been leader compared to those thar have joined?

My chief concern watching how Labour's key figures carry themselves in interviews is that a vote for Labour could be much like a vote for Trump in that they spend a lot of time saying things that the electorate wants to hear but if you're willing to cast the most mildly critical of gazes upon it there's no real reason to believe they know how to drive the car you're handing them the keys to.  Obviously to a far lesser degree than over the pond but the sense of it being a vote for incompetence still lingers very heavily.

The trouble is that Theresa May's even more Trump-like with her repetitious lying (strong & stable) and constant policy flip-flopping.  I also don't see how anybody can possibly give their support to the conservative manifesto without admitting to themselves that they hold everybody else in contempt.

Ideally I'd like to spoil my ballot but I think sheer fear for what May has in store is going to be enough to drive me to hold my nose and pick somebody.

54 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

They will also have to stop members leaving to join the Greens as what happened after and during Blairs reign.

I wonder how many members have left while Corbyn has been leader compared to those thar have joined?

Isn't the labour party membership treble what it was pre-corbyn?

They've got by far the biggest membership of any party. 

I wonder if May is going to go down the same track as Matty P, JontheHat and Webbo tonight  by telling Britain that increasing corporation tax will kill business in this country - despite the fact that it was 28% when Labour left power and the Tories took over and Corbyn is only going to take it to 26% - we had plenty of business at 28%!

Not sure why Labour chose to go first - think it was because the tories wanted to - but Corbyn needs to go big on the downfall of society and his message of hope as there are stats galore to back up the damage that the government is doing. Then just leave May spouting "strong and stable, coalition of chaos" as he exists the building. 

15 minutes ago, toddybad said:

I wonder if May is going to go down the same track as Matty P, JontheHat and Webbo tonight  by telling Britain that increasing corporation tax will kill business in this country - despite the fact that it was 28% when Labour left power and the Tories took over and Corbyn is only going to take it to 26% - we had plenty of business at 28%!

Not sure why Labour chose to go first - think it was because the tories wanted to - but Corbyn needs to go big on the downfall of society and his message of hope as there are stats galore to back up the damage that the government is doing. Then just leave May spouting "strong and stable, coalition of chaos" as he exists the building. 

Perhaps that's why Labour left power?

Guest MattP

Nuttall got away with murder there, no idea why Neil stayed on his strong points and didn't go at the Walter Mitty stuff.

Might take a few votes off the Tories that, I liked it.

1 minute ago, Watson said:

I wonder if anybody else on the planet has ever suggested that as even a small reason as to why they lost power lol

lol It just made me laugh that you could claim that something was a good idea because Labour did it before they were thrown out of power. 

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

lol It just made me laugh that you could claim that something was a good idea because Labour did it before they were thrown out of power. 

So just to establish, given that the tories got thrown out of power in 1997, does that mean that everything Thatcher did was wrong and a bad idea? And that's even if we accept your blatant misinterpretation of toddybad (he's clearly saying that we had plenty of business at 28% corporation tax, when what Labour are proposing would still amount to a reduction to compared to 7 years ago, it's not realistic to say that it's a massive danger to the economy given we've done fine with higher in recent history).

Archived