Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Harry - LCFC

General Election, June 8th

52 minutes ago, Lionator said:

This seems hilarious however I have relatives who agree almost completely with Labour's manifesto however will vote Tory as in their words "Corbyn is going to get rid of our armed forces". I have no greviences with the way anybody votes if it suits their background but stuff like that genuinely frustrates me.

A good principled stance.  Everyone would like to spend shedloads more money on making everything lovely, but how do you pay for it!

As someone who's not particularly affiliated with any party (I've voted for all three major parties at different elections), I'd say Corbyn was the clear winner. I didn't think he had a hope in fell a few months back, but a manifesto that's different and stands him apart clearly form the Tories and him actually coming across as very likable compared to May who comes across like an extra from The Witches film, he might have a chance. 

Sadly I think all the red tops constantly peddling the "friend of terrorists" stuff will be his downfall.

3 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

A good principled stance.  Everyone would like to spend shedloads more money on making everything lovely, but how do you pay for it!

But that wasn't the stance being discussed. 

39 minutes ago, toddybad said:

But that wasn't the stance being discussed. 

That is the appeal of the Labour manifesto in a nutshell though ins't it?  Look people you can all have this and the 5% will pay for it and companies and you won't even notice!

So to like in theory but vote Tory is perfectly sensible in my view, especially if you want to support the armed forces and intelligence services, both of which would fairly consider Corbyn and Abbott to be a terrible risk.

44 minutes ago, Babylon said:

As someone who's not particularly affiliated with any party (I've voted for all three major parties at different elections), I'd say Corbyn was the clear winner. I didn't think he had a hope in fell a few months back, but a manifesto that's different and stands him apart clearly form the Tories and him actually coming across as very likable compared to May who comes across like an extra from The Witches film, he might have a chance. 

Sadly I think all the red tops constantly peddling the "friend of terrorists" stuff will be his downfall.

Agree, majority of people in Britian are stupid and these wild policies with no substance is the type of shit the normal Brit will fall for.  I think the election is going to be alot closer then people think.  Dianne Abbott is Corbyns biggest downfall

May has no charisma or a nice set of boobies to make her vaguely appealing and she is coming accross as very crass and negative

19 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

That is the appeal of the Labour manifesto in a nutshell though ins't it?  Look people you can all have this and the 5% will pay for it and companies and you won't even notice!

So to like in theory but vote Tory is perfectly sensible in my view, especially if you want to support the armed forces and intelligence services, both of which would fairly consider Corbyn and Abbott to be a terrible risk.

Take the nationalisations out of the equation and you're looking at a manifesto that simply takes us back to having things we used to have like free tuition and enough money in the public services. The route we've taken in recent years is one of selling off the family silver and having nothing to show for it. We're continuously told business must me taxed minimally and we must do everything to keep huge business going despite the fact that it has only made inequalities worse. I absolutely want a fundamental shift in the way government treats the economy and who the economy is designed to help most.

Nationalisation is a complete change of direction and I'd admit that nobody can know how that would play out but it's cost neutral - in fact better than that if you consider current profits - and the issue is more one of ideology than money. Plenty of european country have significant public owned companies or stakes in companies - edf for example - which works very well and actually allows the government to profit by selling services overseas - often to us!

18 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Agree, majority of people in Britian are stupid and these wild policies with no substance is the type of shit the normal Brit will fall for.  I think the election is going to be alot closer then people think.  Dianne Abbott is Corbyns biggest downfall

May has no charisma or a nice set of boobies to make her vaguely appealing and she is coming accross as very crass and negative

May it turns out doesn't appear to have much insight on public opinion on policy (social care) or indeed much affinity for campaigning.  Where the hell have all the good politicians gone?  Did we hound them out over expenses?

Just now, Jon the Hat said:

May it turns out doesn't appear to have much insight on public opinion on policy (social care) or indeed much affinity for campaigning.  Where the hell have all the good politicians gone?  Did we hound them out over expenses?

There is a real lack of quality on all sides it must be said. 

4 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Take the nationalisations out of the equation and you're looking at a manifesto that simply takes us back to having things we used to have like free tuition and enough money in the public services. The route we've taken in recent years is one of selling off the family silver and having nothing to show for it. We're continuously told business must me taxed minimally and we must do everything to keep huge business going despite the fact that it has only made inequalities worse. I absolutely want a fundamental shift in the way government treats the economy and who the economy is designed to help most.

Nationalisation is a complete change of direction and I'd admit that nobody can know how that would play out but it's cost neutral - in fact better than that if you consider current profits - and the issue is more one of ideology than money. Plenty of european country have significant public owned companies or stakes in companies - edf for example - which works very well and actually allows the government to profit by selling services overseas - often to us!

Yes it does seem nuts that we cannot afford things we used to have, but with an aging population, ever more expensive medical treatment, the soaring cost of pensions, you have to make tough decisions I think.  I don't believe taxing the better of more forever will work though, it becomes a shrinking pot.

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I think there maybe an opportunity for a easily corruptable scoundrel like me to make my way into politics!!

Although I always thought Chuck Amuna would have a made a great adversary and would have made a better challenge for Labour.

30 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

I think there maybe an opportunity for a easily corruptable scoundrel like me to make my way into politics!!

Although I always thought Chuck Amuna would have a made a great adversary and would have made a better challenge for Labour.

Too much of a blair tribute act. We need a left wing party to pull politics back in that direction a bit. Having labour in the centre/right and tories on the right is half of what's gone wrong over the years. They need to balance each other out and pull each other into the centre.

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Oops. What is it with Labour not knowing their numbers?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40090520

May's team didn't bother to work out the cost of their manifesto, yet they get a free pass from the press.
Corbyn pauses to look up one of his (actually costed) figures during an interview this morning, rather than relying on memory, and it was the main story everywhere. 
Apparently taking a moment to check the figures is a bad thing. Political reporting is ridiculous.

7 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

To you, of course not, it's taking the piss out of your precious untouchable tories.

I'm all for satire and pi$$taking etc, but over the last year or so, things like the daily mash who used to be brilliant, and geekology (on facebook), have gone so far left its just not funny anymore. it's a shame really.

7 minutes ago, toddybad said:

May's team didn't bother to work out the cost of their manifesto, yet they get a free pass from the press.
Corbyn pauses to look up one of his (actually costed) figures during an interview this morning, rather than relying on memory, and it was the main story everywhere. 
Apparently taking a moment to check the figures is a bad thing. Political reporting is ridiculous.

Damn that biased left wing BBC for not reporting on labours strugggles or asking them difficult questions.

50 minutes ago, Darkon84 said:

I'm all for satire and pi$$taking etc, but over the last year or so, things like the daily mash who used to be brilliant, and geekology (on facebook), have gone so far left its just not funny anymore. it's a shame really.

I thought it was quite funny tbf, they should have added a bit where she glitched and repeated 'Strong and Stable' several times.

Guest MattP

Just watching the video of Corbyn fiddling around with his Ipad trying to find a figure that has been "costed" on childcare, he really should just have said "I don't know" - why are they even trying to pretend they know how they are going to pay for all this? I doubt the people voting for them really care tbh.

Really tragic.

Guest MattP
53 minutes ago, Darkon84 said:

The Mash effectively threw a hissy fit after Brexit, it was hilarious to watch.I've met Neil Rafferty and can imagine his tears after it.

It's difficult being a conservative supporter right now, watching your peers go from a position of strength and losing all credibility inside a month, is just laughable. As much as people say Labour have had a good campaign, I just think they've benefitted from errors made by everyone else. A decent campaign by the conservatives and they would be out of sight by now. May should be strung up for this!

Guest MattP
17 minutes ago, Strokes said:

It's difficult being a conservative supporter right now, watching your peers go from a position of strength and losing all credibility inside a month, is just laughable. As much as people say Labour have had a good campaign, I just think they've benefitted from errors made by everyone else. A decent campaign by the conservatives and they would be out of sight by now. May should be strung up for this!

Difficult and depressing, a woman we thought was a strong leader has been shown up as someone who quite frankly would struggle to win a hustings, Ed Miliband would have won had this campaign been put on two years ago, you do wonder if the competent ones behind the scenes fled when Cameron departed.

To be honest the Tory campaign makes me fear for our Brexit negotiations, I'm just so glad the party has David Davis in charge of it - if it wasn't for him I probably wouldn't even vote this election. I hope it's successful and he is the leader by 2022.

The incredible thing is the Corbynn supporters will see this as a victory as he "closed the gap" - without recognising literally any other front bench, even one drawn a by a raffle would have stopped a Tory maj.

20 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Corbyn is focusing on policies and May is focusing on Corbyn. Pretty disastrous really. Need more carrots for the people and less "strong and stable" rhetoric. 

Archived