Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rob1742

Speed Awareness Course

Just been on one. 

My thoughts on the way were that I really should have taken the points instead, four hours of my life I wouldn't get back.

On the way back my thoughts were different. Picked up more than a few pointers, less about speed these days and more about road awareness etc.

Actually enjoyed it, it worked for me.

Did one about 9 years ago, they seem to have improved a fair bit. 

Thought mine was fine, especially interacting with others on my table amd discussing what we did wrong individually and how I could alter our mentalities if we close to encpuntering such situations again that led to the offences - but admit interest had soon slightly dropped and time dragged after sn hour and a half to the point where I started to think about other things whilst being lectured.

Is it true you see some horrific incidents to shock you into driving better?

i witnessed an RTA on the m1 southbound on Monday, junction 15 at about 8.00am. Traffic slow moving ahead, eventually comes to a standstill. Not for the lorry in the slow lane to my left he just decided to coninue at, I imagine, 50mph into the back of a BMW who then went into the back of another lorry. It was right in front of me and my dash cam caught it all. I was convinced there would be fatalities.... apparently the man in the BMW Survived with minor scratches.

that has certainly shocked me into being so much more aware on the roads and I would consider myself a decent driver already

did mine January last year. Much better than the points. Did get a bit tedious towards the end but the instructor treated us like adults, not like naughty school children which was good.

On the same course I was on, found out that someone got caught on the same day, same road, same speed as me lol 

I learnt that I can actually get away with more than I thought.

My only speeding ticket in nearly 30 years of driving.  I'm not one for speeding & got caught about 8 years ago on Saffron Lane near the old stadium, leading up to Aylestone Road - where nobody ever does 30mph & it actually seems quite difficult to stick to the speed limit.  1mph slower & I would have got away it.

8 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

Just been on one. 

My thoughts on the way were that I really should have taken the points instead, four hours of my life I wouldn't get back.

On the way back my thoughts were different. Picked up more than a few pointers, less about speed these days and more about road awareness etc.

Actually enjoyed it, it worked for me.

Did one about 9 years ago, they seem to have improved a fair bit. 

shame your driving hasntlol

Did one on the morning of the Sevilla home match. It was alright though I mainly found it to be geared towards being slower & cautious in built up / urban areas where I very rarely speed anyway. Whenever I've been caught it's generally been on a larger road with a higher speed limit during a quiet time.

It's certainly a better option than paying the ridiculous new speeding fines which have come along.

40 minutes ago, Basingstoke Fox said:

It's certainly a better option than paying the ridiculous new speeding fines which have come along.

Surely the 'better option' for all is the one that you didn't mention, which is adhering to the speed limit in the first place? I think you'll find that's the general idea.

8 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Surely the 'better option' for all is the one that you didn't mention, which is adhering to the speed limit in the first place? I think you'll find that's the general idea.

Clearly I'm talking about if you have already been caught speeding for whatever reason.

Just now, Basingstoke Fox said:

Clearly I'm talking about if you have already been caught speeding for whatever reason.

Yeah, so am I - such an eventuality wouldn't be the case if you hadn't broken the speed limit for whatever reason. Not easy to do, but the clue's in the course title - 'speed awareness'. 

I concede, it's hard to remain vigilant but the best way to avoid paying the 'ridiculous new fines' or attending one of these courses is to try to keep your speed down. 

Just now, Line-X said:

Yeah, so am I - such an eventuality wouldn't be the case if you hadn't broken the speed limit for whatever reason. Not easy to do, but the clue's in the course title - 'speed awareness'. 

I concede, it's hard to remain vigilant but the best way to avoid paying the 'ridiculous new fines' or attending one of these courses is to try to keep your speed down. 

Fair point and I would agree. Don't get me wrong, since attending the course I've been much more aware of my speed wherever I've been driving. Though I do believe the primary reason for the increase in fines is because it's an easy money maker rather than just being concerned about road safety. Perhaps that's a discussion for another thread though.

Just now, Basingstoke Fox said:

Though I do believe the primary reason for the increase in fines is because it's an easy money maker rather than just being concerned about road safety. Perhaps that's a discussion for another thread though.

Absolutely agree. A GATSO really should be deployed in an accident blackspot - what you tend to find is that their location is governed by its profit potential.

I enjoyed the course, Much better than the points. Has it stopped me from speeding? Probably not. I do try to keep the speed down on the motorway but then I look and i'm doing over 80 without realising lol 

No doubt I will get caught again soon. Need a car with cruise control. Great piece of kit. Had it on my old car and used it all the time.

I did one in 2015 and actually learnt some stuff to be fair. It was actually led by a former lorry driver who'd accumulated points and thus lost his job, so it made it easier to buy into what he was saying. The only thing is though there was that one bloke who argued with everything, disputed every law and constantly had to know best. I'm led to believe every course has one lol.

The course itself was fine when I took it but the people on it were odd to say the least.

Rather than sitting and learning, a lot seemed to dispute what they were being told. One particular bloke had the same answer to everything, which was "well I am bound to get caught again. I drive X amount of miles a week." The instructors response was the obvious, "if you follow what you are being taught then you won't ever need to speed." Wasn't having none of it and this bloke ended up causing the course to drag on and on and on!

Then on the hazard and perception portion of it, one old boy only spotted 2 hazards, amongst a video full of them. Very worrying!

went on one about 1 year ago - one of the guys on the course  was an advanced driving instructor for the Met ( not a course leader he was caught speeding!) One attendee arrived 2 minutes after the course started and was denied entry and told to re-book  and a woman on the course was involved in a collision with a taxi on the way to the course centre after dropping her kids at school and running a bit late:D

4 hours ago, Lovejoy said:

I did one in 2015 and actually learnt some stuff to be fair. It was actually led by a former lorry driver who'd accumulated points and thus lost his job, so it made it easier to buy into what he was saying. The only thing is though there was that one bloke who argued with everything, disputed every law and constantly had to know best. I'm led to believe every course has one lol.

matches my own experience and a couple of my friends who were also required to attend one -the two main arguments appear to be summarised as:

" the speed limits were set before the roads were improved and car braking systems were brought up to the fantastic standard they are today"

" the people who cause accidents are those that poodle about on a perfectly clear road rather than those who speed"

9 minutes ago, surrifox said:

matches my own experience and a couple of my friends who were also required to attend one -the two main arguments appear to be summarised as:

" the speed limits were set before the roads were improved and car braking systems were brought up to the fantastic standard they are today"

" the people who cause accidents are those that poodle about on a perfectly clear road rather than those who speed"

Hard to disagree :ph34r:.

On 11/05/2017 at 15:37, surrifox said:

Don't agree with that. Speed limits are changed quite a bit, as an example there are many 20mph zones coming in these days, so speed limits are changing. 

Accident numbers are coming down due to better braking systems, and deaths are reducing because of the way cars are constructed. 

However, if we then decided to increase speed limits, we would just be negating the improvements we have just made with cars and deaths wouldn't fall. 

Accidents are not skewed to those that just poodle around. The highest percentage is the young who have just passed their test, who don't have experience. Hence the insurance costs for these people. 

6 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

Don't agree with that. Speed limits are changed quite a bit, as an example there are many 20mph zones coming in these days, so speed limits are changing. 

Accident numbers are coming down due to better braking systems, and deaths are reducing because of the way cars are constructed. 

However, if we then decided to increase speed limits, we would just be negating the improvements we have just made with cars and deaths wouldn't fall. 

Accidents are not skewed to those that just poodle around. The highest percentage is the young who have just passed their test, who don't have experience. Hence the insurance costs for these people. 

? I don't agree either - I'm just relating the self-serving arguments from inveterate speeders . In denial about their careless approach to motoring laws 

Archived