Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grantham Fox

European Football 17/18

14 hours ago, fazzyfox said:

Just watching Nuremberg v Fortuna Dusseldorf, dramatic stuff. Nuremberg needed a draw to win div2, were 2-0 up but lost 3-2 to an injury time winner. Don't you just love this game, great entertainment. 

A few weeks ago there were still only about six points between the promotion and relegation places in the 2 Bundesliga. I think the standard's worse than our second tier, by and large, but it's great entertainment sometimes.

On 14/05/2018 at 12:42, StanSP said:

Holstein Kiel might not be allowed to play their home games at their own stadium if they get promoted as German FA don't deem it adequate enough. 

They have now been allowed to play in their own ground. They must however build a temporary stand. I presume this will be in the away end as it is very basic currently.

17 minutes ago, baker11 said:

They have now been allowed to play in their own ground. They must however build a temporary stand. I presume this will be in the away end as it is very basic currently.

The permission stands on fragile ground, though. The DFB has the power to pull it again at any given time, should certain conditions not be met (building permit, blueprints, financing secured, plus a suitable first aid concept).

Kiel still have to name an alternate stadium just in case, and that can only be one in Hamburg (or maybe Braunschweig).

• 2 weeks later...

TSV 1860 München and FC Energie Cottbus are back in German pro football, playing in the 3. Liga next season.

Munich beat Saarbrücken 5-4 on aggregate, whilst Cottbus edged Flensburg 3-2 over two matches.

Third newly-promoted team will likely be KFC Uerdingen, a regular Bundesliga outfit in the 80ies. Going into the return leg at SV Waldhof Mannheim with a 1-0 advantage, the return fixture had to be abandoned with Uerdingen leading 2-1 after heavy crowd troubles and flares in the Mannheim end.

Apparently, an Uerdingen fans' bus was attacked prior to the game, Mannheim fans sat together with Uerdingen supporters in the same block and Waldhof "forgot" the beverage counter for the visiting fans.

Mannheim have now issued a statement and are introducing draconic changes to their security concept, ticket sales and supporters' groups cooperation.

32 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Liga 3. for the first time since its creation looks like a proper national third tier. No reserve teams. Well supported clubs across the country. I am hoping Uerdingen do the necessary ground improvements; the stadium is an absolute corker. 

I mean to go every time we go over to Bochum. Still not yet made it but it does look ace.

1 minute ago, baker11 said:

I mean to go every time we go over to Bochum. Still not yet made it but it does look ace.

Always had it on my list too - should be slightly easier now without the mad fixture arrangements of Regionalliga. 

Wuppertal is another club in the area with a Bundesliga history, a big stadium but been rolling around in the lower divisions. Of course, it's made all the more mad that you take a monorail to the ground and it's next to a zoo!

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Always had it on my list too - should be slightly easier now without the mad fixture arrangements of Regionalliga. 

Wuppertal is another club in the area with a Bundesliga history, a big stadium but been rolling around in the lower divisions. Of course, it's made all the more mad that you take a monorail to the ground and it's next to a zoo!

Wuppertal had some trouble with the Bochum/Leiester guys last season. Not sure it will be done again by those who went.

Edited by baker11

Just now, baker11 said:

Wippertal had some trouble with the Bochum/Leiester guys last season. Not sure it will be done again by those who went.

Heard stories where the ultras from the lower leagues pick on groundhoppers or groups of foreign lads. Koblenz being one of these. Basically can't get a scrap with opposition, so pick on the next target. 

19 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Liga 3. for the first time since its creation looks like a proper national third tier. No reserve teams. Well supported clubs across the country. I am hoping Uerdingen do the necessary ground improvements; the stadium is an absolute corker. 

Their stadium is even bigger than ours - imagine.

22 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Being reported they may not get the professional license for 3 Liga

Failed to submit the necessary financial securities in time yesterday, blaming it on their bank. lol

Fingers crossed they're able to play in the 3. Liga regardless. There's a DFB meeting scheduled for next Monday.

11 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It isn't really, it has a higher capacity because its nearly all standing. 

It's actually an absolute hovel. 

I thought that's attracting a lot of English Bundesliga fans? Bochum's stadium isn't much better.

I meant "bigger" in a capacity sense, anyway. Not that they've ever filled it in recent times, though. Highest average match attendance during a season was slightly over 17'000 more than 20 years ago.

Ronaldo likely to leave Real Madrid this summer. After making some strange post-match comments following the Champions League final against Liverpool, Real Madrid have recently issued the campaign for their new 2018/2019 kits without him.

real-madrid-kit-2018-19b.png

The club have now backtracked, saying it was because Ronaldo was unavailable for the promo shoot - however, considering the fact that nowadays you can do these shoots whenever you want to and then compose the image way later via editing software, it's more an excuse than an explanation:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/05/30/cristiano-ronaldos-absence-kit-launch-not-linked-rumoured-real-madrid-exit