Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

Nothing wrong with being proud of where you were born and what various people who also hail from it have acheived.

Unfortunately, this seems throughout history to go hand in hand with feelings of superiority towards other people and (more pertinently) exercising those feelings of superiority through various cute acts of coercion and destruction.

Does anyone think we'll actually separate those two factors fully and if it is indeed possible?

13 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Nothing wrong with being proud of where you were born and what various people who also hail from it have acheived.

Unfortunately, this seems throughout history to go hand in hand with feelings of superiority towards other people and (more pertinently) exercising those feelings of superiority through various cute acts of coercion and destruction.

Does anyone think we'll actually separate those two factors fully and if it is indeed possible?

Interesting question.

I don’t think it’s the feelings themselves that are problematic. We all have an instinct to belong to one ‘tribe’ or another.

The problem though is that throughout history tribal feelings have been manipulated to serve the will of an elite few.

Englishmen going off to fight the Crusades, or Brexiteers wanting to ‘free themselves’ of the shackles of the EU. What’s the difference?!

So I guess the answer to your question is probably ‘no’.  It won’t end until people can learn how not to allow their passions to be manipulated and deceived. And there seems to be no end to that in sight!

Just been on Twitter, hilarious watching the outrage over the blue passports. Some people have absolutely lost their minds over it.

I didn't give it a shit but its going to be worth doing now just so people like James O'Brien, Chuka Umanna, David Lammy and Nick Clegg have to look at it everytime they go abroad and remind them of the referendum they lost.

Should go ultimate troll and put pictures of Farage, Rees-Mogg and Davis etc on the pages.

7 minutes ago, MattP said:

Just been on Twitter, hilarious watching the outrage over the blue passports. Some people have absolutely lost their minds over it.

I didn't give it a shit but its going to be worth doing now just so people like James O'Brien, Chuka Umanna, David Lammy and Nick Clegg have to look at it everytime they go abroad and remind them of the referendum they lost.

Should go ultimate troll and put pictures of Farage, Rees-Mogg and Davis etc on the pages.

Why do you keep going on about it then?! Why are you on Twitter watching "the outrage" about the passports??

As far as I can tell "the outrage" consists of a few people asking why we would spend £500m changing the colour of our passports rather than any other priority.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

Why do you keep going on about it then?! Why are you on Twitter watching "the outrage" about the passports??

As far as I can tell "the outrage" consists of a few people asking why we would spend £500m changing the colour of our passports rather than any other priority.

Brandon Lewis from the HO has already stated it will cost no extra at all.

They are simply being fazed out as the contract runs out in 2019 anyway and the extra money is updated security, these costs would have implemented on an EU or a British passport anyway. 

The Labour MP's putting these lies about are already starting to delete their tweets. 

http://ted.europa.eu/TED/notice/udl?uri=TED:NOTICE:107947-2017:TEXT:EN:HTML&src=0

9 minutes ago, MattP said:

Brandon Lewis from the HO has already stated it will cost no extra at all.

They are simply being fazed out as the contract runs out in 2019 anyway and the extra money is updated security, these costs would have implemented on an EU or a British passport anyway. 

The Labour MP's putting these lies about are already starting to delete their tweets. 

http://ted.europa.eu/TED/notice/udl?uri=TED:NOTICE:107947-2017:TEXT:EN:HTML&src=0

Well your "lieing Labour MPs" might have got their information from the radical Marxist rag known as Das Telegraph. :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/02/blue-passports-make-return-home-office-500-million-post-brexit/

The passport issue seems to be being raised to float over the top.of all the Brexit bad news.

Tory mp calling for debate about whether the paper should be made in Britain? This is farcical. It's a blatant attempt to get the little England working class to get upset about that issue rather than to look into the detail of vote they'll lose out due to Brexit. Remainers don't care about the passport - they care that stupid issues like these are being talked about as important when the country is going to ruin.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/new-blue-passports-seen-sign-11737107.amp

1 minute ago, MattP said:

16% of Remainers want the blue passport back as well? lol

Nobody gives a shit what passport we use. We care that it's even being discussed as a significant issue.

6 minutes ago, Magictv said:

Traditional incandescent lightbulbs and Pounds shilling and pence 19% and 7% overall! Bizarre! lollollollollol

Wtf?

There's some right weirdos in this country. We know most brexiters were very very old people so i suppose they're harking back to times gone by, and think that somehow bringing back shillings will make their life more like it was several decades ago when they were in their prime. Utterly bizarre.

Edited by Rogstanley

Just now, toddybad said:

Remainers don't care about the passport - they care that stupid issues like these are being talked about as important when the country is going to ruin.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/new-blue-passports-seen-sign-11737107.amp

Virtually every remainer going in parliament has taken to social media to cry about it.

As @Innovindil said earlier, the ones mocking those for caring about the colour of a passport now are the ones going mental over the colour of a passport, it's brilliant. 

8 minutes ago, toddybad said:

The passport issue seems to be being raised to float over the top.of all the Brexit bad news.

Tory mp calling for debate about whether the paper should be made in Britain? This is farcical. It's a blatant attempt to get the little England working class to get upset about that issue rather than to look into the detail of vote they'll lose out due to Brexit. Remainers don't care about the passport - they care that stupid issues like these are being talked about as important when the country is going to ruin.

Well, to be fair to her, Theresa May needs to keep the Brexiteers happy by throwing them a bone every now again.

The utter morons are happy to be getting their British passport pass; and the lesser morons are just happy that everyone else is annoyed by it. “It’s brilliant”! :D

3 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

?

Why is it brilliant??

Because they can't see how ridiculous they are doing the same thing they accuse others of.

I want to see some polls, the Tories might be ten points clear again. Mopping up the 16% of remain supporters who didn't appear to know what they were voting for. 

7 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Who doesn't love some good rabies like frothing? 

But there is no outrage. You’re laughing at something that you’re pretending to see!! And the only reason you’re doing it is to annoy people who don’t agree with you!

Also, you’re ignoring the fact that lots of EU countries already have blue passports!!

No-one is outraged (accept a few nutters on Twitter – who DON’T COUNT!) Some people are annoyed that something so pointless is being touted as a ‘victory’ of Brexit!

That’s all.

Reminds me of Alan Partridge:

“Lynn, you’re laughing at weather”!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

Because they can't see how ridiculous they are doing the same thing they accuse others of.

I want to see some polls, the Tories might be ten points clear again. Mopping up the 16% of remain supporters who didn't appear to know what they were voting for. 

But you can? And it's brilliant.

OK.

15 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Who doesn't love some good rabies like frothing? 

Just wait till Brexit doesn't happen. Then you'll see rabid frothing.

14 minutes ago, MattP said:

I used to have you down as intelligent. As much as you're just being a wum today, I have nevertheless downgraded my view.