Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

Something i haven’t spotted in the passport debate... I quite like the burgundy colour and it’s been the colour I’ve associated with a passport for all of my life, that is part of my heritage - so is the change in colour optional or an enforced change for all future passports?

I’m aware from what I’ve read they will allow people to change the colour early... at a cost of £70 odd quid of course... but not spotted any concession to those that might feel the existing colour has both a better aesthetic and practical quality to it.

I don't particularly care about the passport colour. Blue, Red, Black, Polka-dot, won't make much difference to my every day life. As others have already said, it just seems like a small concession to the 'RED WHITE AND BLUE BREXIT' mob, to placate them while the Government continue to pull the wool over their eyes and implement a Brexit that's as hard as a roll of Andrex Supreme Quilted lol 

Funniest thing is, it seems to be working! But I suppose that makes sense; it is aimed at a demographic that care more about 'feeling' then facts, logic and reason, after all.

Edited by Charl91
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Something i haven’t spotted in the passport debate... I quite like the burgundy colour and it’s been the colour I’ve associated with a passport for all of my life, that is part of my heritage - so is the change in colour optional or an enforced change for all future passports?

I’m aware from what I’ve read they will allow people to change the colour early... at a cost of £70 odd quid of course... but not spotted any concession to those that might feel the existing colour has both a better aesthetic and practical quality to it.

Burgundy looks classy. Blue makes it look like something you'd be given by a parole officer to log your visits. Horrible.

Yes I am both outraged and frothy.

Edited by Rogstanley

A possible solution to the passport situation, posited by Prof Brian Cox:

"We could all agree to turn our passports blue by running towards them, thus saving a lot of hassle. Assuming the wavelength of a blue passport is 470nm, and red is 670 nm, I calculate a speed of 0.34c would do it."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Funny thing is, the blue one was imposed on Britain by the league of nations in the 1920s according to the independent! 

1 hour ago, toddybad said:

Now Matt's frothing too.

Matt pulls out the 'I won't lose any sleep over your opinion of me' card all the time tbf. 

Tbh if anyone on here loses any sleep over this bullshit you're doing life wrong and are far too strung up. **** caring what some nobodies on a forum think of you really lol. 

• Like 3

The posters on here doth protest too much, methinks.

Lets face it the remainers don't like the passport change as it's another sign we're leaving the EU, and the brexiteers like the fact we have our tradition coloured passport back. 

So you lot can say you don't care but deep down you care..... just a little bit anyway.

1 minute ago, purpleronnie said:

Lets face it the remainers don't like the passport change as it's another sign we're leaving the EU, and the brexiteers like the fact we have our tradition coloured passport back. 

So you lot can say you don't care but deep down you care..... just a little bit anyway.

I honestly couldn't care less what colour my passport is, I still haven't met someone who voted Leave who has mentioned it either.

If people see it as symbolic that's their choice, no upto me to tell them it is or it isn't.

That said, I'll happily cover the cost myself if I can deliver one to Nicola Sturgeon or Nick Clegg.

4 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Honestly I use it once or twice a year and the rest of the time it's in a draw. It's no big deal.

6 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

As I said earlier, it's more about the suggestion that that this in itself a good reason for leaving the EU.

Edited by Guest

22 minutes ago, MattP said:

At no point anywhere in that article does it say what you claim.

“Counter terror police said they devoted as much time to far-right extremism as Islamist extremism.”

Pretty sure they wouldn’t devote equal attention to it if the threat wasn’t equal.

See the chart further down for regions with most referrals.

13 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I don't like it because it's a massive waste of time for something completely meaningless to all but the most red-tinted glasses wearer, who'd presumably see it as burgundy anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

“Counter terror police said they devoted as much time to far-right extremism as Islamist extremism.”

Pretty sure they wouldn’t devote equal attention to it if the threat wasn’t equal.

See the chart further down for regions with most referrals.

Yes I read it all, Wales is the highest where 22% of referrals are related to the far-right. 

You claimed it was just as common, which looking at the statistics even if you don't watch the news, is clearly false.

Edited by MattP