Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

17 minutes ago, MattP said:

Looks pretty clear to me you said they were cutting jobs after a 'slump due to Brexit'.

The headline of that article is appalling given what is written in it, the Guardian used to be above clickbait. Not anymore it seems.

I didn't write the sentence. It comes with the link :frusty:

1 minute ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43756202

Jaguar Land Rover to shed 1,000 contract staff

The beeb gets a lot of criticism - but for me, it’s the best report of the lot. No slant / agenda, just s factual report with reasoned arguments as to what the issues behind the decision might be.

Guest MattP
2 minutes ago, toddybad said:

I didn't write the sentence. It comes with the link :frusty:

Serves you right for shitposting click bait.

Now I'm going to bed as I've been poorly pretty much all week, mainly due to an illness (chest infection), but no doubt partly because of Brexit. 

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Now I'm going to bed as I've been poorly pretty much all week, mainly due to an illness (chest infection), but no doubt partly because of Brexit. 

Nah.

More likely due to lack of investment in the NHS.

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

threads on its arse lads

I forgot to say "Eurononce" was my favourite word of the year so far when I saw it last week.

The deserves a spot on the dictionary when they throw the new ones in.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Probably caught Avian Influenza by eating too much tariff-free Trump Chicken & Chlorine Coulis.

Get well soon - and let's hope the lads cheer us all up by pulling off a surprise at Turf Moor and keeping the dream of trips to Kazakhstan & Moldova alive....

Pending that eventuality, here's my vision of the UK post-Brexit:

On 12/04/2018 at 20:06, Rogstanley said:

Fearful, derailed motor industry sees no advantage to brexit 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43627343

It was only yesterday I posted this article which has various motor industry leaders citing brexit as a problem, then a day later Britain's biggest car company slashes jobs and cites brexit as part of the cause, and we're supposed to believe this is all some sort of guardian smear campaign LMAO.

Do me a favour, we know you've had quite enough of experts, thank you, but these are leaders of industry and businesses themselves doing the talking. Somehow I think they know more about their industry than innovidnil and stroker off foxestalk.

You guys need to wake up and smell the bacon, brexit is derailing British industry and costing thousands of good jobs, and it is genuinely your fault. Think about those people whose jobs you've lost for them before you go to sleep tonight.

Edited by Rogstanley

1 hour ago, MattP said:

I forgot to say "Eurononce" was my favourite word of the year so far when I saw it last week.

The deserves a spot on the dictionary when they throw the new ones in.

So you look up euro and you look up nonce and this is funny how?

Just sayin.

23 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

It was only yesterday I posted this article which has various motor industry leaders citing brexit as a problem, then a day later Britain's biggest car company slashes jobs and cites brexit as part of the cause, and we're supposed to believe this is all some sort of guardian smear campaign LMAO.

Do me a favour, we know you've had quite enough of experts, thank you, but these are leaders of industry and businesses themselves doing the talking. Somehow I think they know more about their industry than innovidnil and stroker off foxestalk.

You guys need to wake up and smell the bacon, brexit is derailing British industry and costing thousands of good jobs, and it is genuinely your fault. Think about those people whose jobs you've lost for them before you go to sleep tonight.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

24 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Exactly. When it comes to facing up to the facts, and the fact is that both industry leaders and private businesses are all saying brexit is a problem, you've got nothing.

It's typical of the modern Tory 'attack is the best form of defence' attitude. "Wages are still falling", quick start bashing Corbyn. "Industry says brexit is a problem", quick start bashing the guardian. "Economist publishes credible paper on why brexit could be damaging", quick start bashing the experts.

Why don't you lot take a look at yourselves, for a change? Is it because you know you won't like what you see?

Edited by Rogstanley

3 minutes ago, Rogstanley said:

Exactly. When it comes to facing up to the facts, and the fact is that both industry leaders and private businesses are all saying brexit is a problem, you've got nothing. It's typical of the modern Tory 'attack is the best form of defence' attitude. Wages are still falling, quick start bashing Corbyn. Industry says brexit is a problem, quick start bashing the guardian. Why don't you lot take a look at yourselves, for a change? Is it because you know you won't like what you see?

200w.gif

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

Contract jobs are good jobs now are they?  That’s a change.  

This has a lot more to do with the huge drop in demand for diesel cars, which the majority of their sales have been over the past few years.

you can’t put out a press release without mentioning Brexit though can you?

Edited by Jon the Hat

44 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

This has a lot more to do with the huge drop in demand for diesel cars, which the majority of their sales have been over the past few years.

you can’t put out a press release without mentioning Brecht though can you?

To do so would be absolutely Weill.....

Guest MattP
11 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

So you look up euro and you look up nonce and this is funny how?

Just sayin.

I didn't look anywhere, it was a word @Sharpe's Fox coined last week and I found it hilarious.

12 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

brexit is derailing British industry and costing thousands of good jobs, and it is genuinely your fault. Think about those people whose jobs you've lost for them before you go to sleep tonight.

I'm really confused Moose, these are temporary and zero hour contract jobs - you said we need to get rid of these anyway.

11 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

you can’t put out a press release without mentioning Brexit though can you?

Contract jobs can be very good jobs, yes. I haven't seen the detail of what the jobs are, but it could be that they're highly skilled contract automotive engineers on lucrative rates, or they could be cleaners on minimum wage, I don't know.

I posted an article which has various senior industry figures directly citing brexit as a problem for the motor industry and we are seeing real people lose their jobs. What else do you think a reasonable person should need to be convinced that brexit is causing real problems for that industry?

Some of you are habitually denying any negative consequence of brexit now to such an extent that, in a contest to see who could display the most irrational denial, you'd give flat earther's a run for their money.

Edited by Rogstanley

Essential reading re. the Irish border - practical realities, not just politics: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/13/northern-ireland-border-brexit-dublin-westminster

Excerpts:

"The Northern Irish economy depends on its agri-food exports. The lion’s share of the £1.15bn a year in Northern Irish exports to the EU flows across the Irish border, moving through one of the 275 or so crossing points along its 300-mile stretch. Small tracks, minor roads and EU-funded dual carriageways are used for the thousands of daily movements of people, lorries and animals back and forth. Forty percent of lamb reared in the north travels over to the south for processing, as does up to a third of Northern Ireland's milk production. Food and drink is the north's largest manufacturing sector and one in 10 jobs depend on it".

"A complex web of port operators, clearance agents and logistics companies currently makes customs declarations for shipments in and out of the EU by filling in online declaration forms for Revenue & Customs. The department was developing a new IT system before the Brexit vote. It needs to. Its creaking 30-year-old system has typically dealt with about 55m customs declarations a year; the new one was only designed to manage up to 150m. Now HMRC estimates that Brexit will create 255m a year. Like nearly all large govt IT projects, it has run into problems".

"The head of Dublin port is preparing to build enough new capacity for a fivefold increase in freight that will need to pass through border controls because of Brexit in 2019. That’s how seriously they are taking it. By contrast the UK government behaves in laggardly fashion. Given the likely real-life effects on millions of British people, isn’t this truly baffling?"

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

The automotive industry are of course concerned and of course making lots of noise.

They probably need to get their silencer looked at.

"That'll cost yer, Guvner..."