Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

No, but he does appear to have an irrational fear of Muslims.

Possibly or just a nob in a position of power, making a tit of himself.

It was quite similar to a confrontation I had with a security guard at a place I worked a few weeks back. The guy went apeshit at me for not wearing my hi-vis jacket when I got out of my van. I explained that the hi-vis is kept in the back and that the area had hundreds of office staff walking through with no ppe on. He refused to see my point we had a row and he refused me entry, then his boss had to call me and apologise after.

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

Possibly or just a nob in a position of power, making a tit of himself.

It was quite similar to a confrontation I had with a security guard at a place I worked a few weeks back. The guy went apeshit at me for not wearing my hi-vis jacket when I got out of my van. I explained that the hi-vis is kept in the back and that the area had hundreds of office staff walking through with no ppe on. He refused to see my point we had a row and he refused me entry, then his boss had to call me and apologise after.

Undoubtedly, but it's what he's making a tit of himself about that is the issue.

He's clearly bought into the 'all Muslims are terrorists - ban the burqa' rhetoric.

1 hour ago, Buce said:

Undoubtedly, but it's what he's making a tit of himself about that is the issue.

He's clearly bought into the 'all Muslims are terrorists - ban the burqa' rhetoric.

Maybe, I don’t think it’s clear. 

He isn’t ranting or anything, I think he was just being a jumped up príck. 

Guest MattP
16 minutes ago, Webbo said:

We're growing faster than the Eurozone now too, apparently.

I'm surprised no one posted it yesterdaylol

23 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

I'm not disputing the points related to the burka debate you make in general - you seem to be assuming I'm approaching this debate from a narrative that it shouldn't be discussed, which couldn't be further from the truth.

"If Boris or indeed any politician or even the average citizen had to sit down and consider the consequences and permutations of every single word they said or wrote, nobody would say anything ever."

Quite. But what I'm talking about is an Eton and Oxford-educated former Minister of the Crown and Mayor of London "starting these debates" by legitimising taking cheap shots at people who either can't defend themselves because they're coerced into wearing the burka, or who are already vulnerable to public criticism if they wear it through their own choice. 

"Colourful" can bollocks. It's precisely this eccentric character he's created for himself which allows him to get away with doing whatever he thinks will serve his interests best, because people lap this shit up without a thought for the consequences of those he's targeting. Can you seriously imagine any other mainstream politician in the country actually making the remark he has and not facing massive public criticism for it? But it's all sound because he's a mop-haired posho with a penchant for Victorian slang, lmao good old BoJo.

The vast majority of us are well aware of how the big wide world works. It doesn't make it any more acceptable for one of the country's most senior politicians to start bandying around shit jokes like that because the odd pub bore agrees with him (even if the opinion he's expressing may not even be honestly-held). It's no way to start a proper debate about a sensitive and important subject and, like I say, any other politician in the country would face massive criticism for doing so.

I'm no fan of Boris but he's the exact sort of politician to be starting these debates. No other politicians have the balls to say either what they think or listen to what the public are telling them. Yeah, he's playing his buffoon character, but he's brought to the fore a debate that the public is already having. And he's the winner here; the language he used was totally innocuous and the deranged reaction to 3 words in a 1000 word essay has proved that May and her cronies are scared of him usurping No. 10 from her; that Labour is desperate to take attention away from their anti-semitism problem by claiming the Tories have an Islamophobia problem (would love an actual definition of Islamophobia BTW; most of the public are confused about what's acceptable to say about Islam); and that the farrrr left nutters behind Corbyn genuinely believe Boris said something racist and is therefore a Nazi.

"who are already vulnerable to public criticism if they wear it through their own choice."

If I were to choose to go walking around town with a cartoon of Mohammed on my T-shirt, I would expect vocal criticism and probably more. Which is why I don't do that. I don't condone verbal or physical abuse in any way, but I can't control other people's behaviour. So I wouldn't go out of my way to provoke people. The Burqa is a visible, deliberately incendiary rejection of our culture. Most people hate it, for many reasons, from all walks of life. And it's not exclusively the "far-right" that dislike it. You can loathe the far right and still hate the Burqa too. In the past few days people have dug up old clips of lefty luvvies like Stephen Fry making the exact same joke. Even the Guardian has done it. 

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

I'm no fan of Boris but he's the exact sort of politician to be starting these debates. No other politicians have the balls to say either what they think or listen to what the public are telling them. Yeah, he's playing his buffoon character, but he's brought to the fore a debate that the public is already having. And he's the winner here; the language he used was totally innocuous and the deranged reaction to 3 words in a 1000 word essay has proved that May and her cronies are scared of him usurping No. 10 from her; that Labour is desperate to take attention away from their anti-semitism problem by claiming the Tories have an Islamophobia problem (would love an actual definition of Islamophobia BTW; most of the public are confused about what's acceptable to say about Islam); and that the farrrr left nutters behind Corbyn genuinely believe Boris said something racist and is therefore a Nazi.

"who are already vulnerable to public criticism if they wear it through their own choice."

If I were to choose to go walking around town with a cartoon of Mohammed on my T-shirt, I would expect vocal criticism and probably more. Which is why I don't do that. I don't condone verbal or physical abuse in any way, but I can't control other people's behaviour. So I wouldn't go out of my way to provoke people. The Burqa is a visible, deliberately incendiary rejection of our culture. Most people hate it, for many reasons, from all walks of life. And it's not exclusively the "far-right" that dislike it. You can loathe the far right and still hate the Burqa too. In the past few days people have dug up old clips of lefty luvvies like Stephen Fry making the exact same joke. Even the Guardian has done it. 

That's my point though? It's the manner of his choosing to do it. Making such cheap shots is not how anyone starts a proper, honest and sensible debate.

As for your comparison, I'm sure the choice to wear a Mohammed cartoon t-shirt wouldn't be because it's part of any deeply held cultural or religious conviction you have? The fact that the burqa offends you so much is pretty ironic given how keen you are to say we're all getting worked up over nothing with what Boris is saying. I mean, I think it's weird and a bit sad that women wear it but I don't get offended if they choose to wear it because it has absolutely fvck all bearing on my life.

I think you've finally lost me at your use of the term "lefty luvvies", but again I'll reiterate - Stephen Fry is a comedian making a joke in a comedic context (whether any of us find it funny or not is another matter entirely), Boris Johnson is one of the country's most senior politicians who you claim is trying to instigate a serious debate by making such a joke. If you really can't grasp the difference between those two scenarios then I give up.

The bottom line is that no one is trying to take away anyone's right to make a cack joke if they want to. I'm saying that in the case of Mr Johnson it's a dereliction of his responsibilities which come with that right to make the remarks he has in the context he has, and he should absolutely be prepared to take public criticism for that. Freedom of speech is not freedom from consequence.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 2

The more extreme right or left you go will inevitably lead to a regime where freedom of speech is non-existent on any level

13 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Freedom of speech is a myth.

6 minutes ago, davieG said:

The forum have allowed you to post that.

All freedoms of speech and action are inextricably linked with the freedom to take the consequences for them, so yes, absolute freedom of such is a myth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

All freedoms of speech and action are inextricably linked with the freedom to take the consequences for them, so yes, absolute freedom of such is a myth.

Ffs Mac, could have had a bit of fun with it first. :D

• Haha 1

On 11 August 2018 at 11:51, MattP said:

What a vile individual this man is.

Yeah but isn't this is from 2014 and he wasn't actually doing that was he? Surely it's just another cheap shot to exacerbate the Labour anti-semitism row. Didn't he and the wider party get questions on that at the time? i'm not any kind of Corbinista but surely we need to able to spot propaganda designed to incite further a harmful narrative? 

Guest MattP
19 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Yeah but isn't this is from 2014 and he wasn't actually doing that was he? Surely it's just another cheap shot to exacerbate the Labour anti-semitism row. Didn't he and the wider party get questions on that at the time? i'm not any kind of Corbinista but surely we need to able to spot propaganda designed to incite further a harmful narrative? 

Who are the "others killed by Mossad agents in Paris in 1991" then? That's a quote from his own Morning Star article about the event and even his supporters can't try and claim that Jeremy Corbyn is now being smeared by Jeremy Corbyn.

The bloke isn't fit to even be an MP, let alone the Prime Minister. You can't just erase his history, he has to be held to account for it. Maybe if he was 17 or something, but this is a fully grown man.

Edited by MattP