Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

19 minutes ago, Buce said:

Absolutely not.

My issue with what Bozo said was his rude and disrespectful terminology, which was aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Of course it was rude and disrespectful. That doesn't mean it was somehow wrong or - as Met Police head Cressida Dick found out after asking her officers to investigate - a hate crime. There's far, far worse in holy books directed at non-believers, women and gays that we are expected to tolerate. 

10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

It has - and might it be posited that this was the intent of the article all along?

I think it was, let’s be honest. Boris has set a bit of trap and he wins whatever the outcome. I don’t think he is planning to join the far right, but he is positioning himself right where he wants to be and the more he gets pushed to apologise and retract the better placed he is.

He writes a lovely article supporting the burka and drops a few crass expressions and makes his detractors look unreasonable to his supporters and solidifies his position by standing by them. Check mate.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Not really, because for my mind this was the ‘counter argument’ of the article. It’s right before the ‘but’ conclusion.

And let’s face it; the lowest common denominator wouldn’t normally pick up a copy of the Telegraph, even if Johnson is playing to a home crowd.

13 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I think it was, let’s be honest. Boris has set a bit of trap and he wins whatever the outcome. I don’t think he is planning to join the far right, but he is positioning himself right where he wants to be and the more he gets pushed to apologise and retract the better placed he is.

He writes a lovely article supporting the burka and drops a few crass expressions and makes his detractors look unreasonable to his supporters and solidifies his position by standing by them. Check mate.

I was going to answer you Barry but Strokes pretty much did it for me, with the addendum that he doesn't have to join the far right in order to keep them onside and supportive of him if/when the time comes, and this is a very well-planned way of helping with that.

Perhaps I'm beating a particular drum too much here, but I think Bannon has helped him play a blinder on this one.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Yes @urban.spaceman that Rowan Atkinson speech on the ‘right to offend’ has lived long in my mind and has no doubt influenced my view on this issue. 

A society in which your deepest most personal beliefs and feelings can be trodden upon, is the only society worth living in.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

A society in which your deepest most personal beliefs and feelings can be trodden upon, is the only society worth living in.

I know too much about feelings being trodden on recently - but that’s probably for the depression thread ?

Sorry to bring up the murky stories of grooming gangs. However yesterday it was revealed that Ampleforth and Downside School in Somerset have had a long history of sexual assault made against young boys. 

Will Tommy and his disciples be standing outside the court case involving this?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Sorry to bring up the murky stories of grooming gangs. However yesterday it was revealed that Ampleforth and Downside School in Somerset have had a long history of sexual assault made against young boys. 

I’m not sure conflating two horrific situations achieves much; that stories of abuse keeps appearing with links to Catholic Church doesn’t make other stories about Asian grooming gangs any better; and even if these other examples didn’t exist, that wouldn’t make Tommy Robinson’s actions any less misguided.

We possibly need to ask ourselves that with an ever growing picture establishing that abuse of children is not just historic, but continues to be widespread across a cross section of society, can public anger about these stories be better used in finding a way to eradicate child abuse once and for all?

BBC article on Ampleforth and Downside School; 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45127284

In before @MattP and @Webbo :D

Extraordinary times when arguably the most chaotic Tory Govt and most unpopular Tory PM for decades are reportedly gaining ground and moving ahead of Labour....

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/poll-johnson-corbyn_uk_5b6cb058e4b0bdd06207be42

Westminster voting intention: CON: 39% (+1) LAB: 35% (-3) LDEM: 10% (-) UKIP: 7% (+1) via @YouGov, 08 - 09 Aug

...and when a left-wing faction works to hand the Labour leadership to a left-wing leader, then works to help him produce a surprisingly good election result....and now threatens to bring him down:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6042481/Corbyn-lose-support-Momentum-unless-backs-anti-Semitism.html

"Jeremy Corbyn has just a month to back down over the anti-Semitism row or face losing the backing of allies in Momentum and a major trade union, it today emerged...

He has now been told by his powerful allies he must formally sign up to the definition at a crunch party meeting in early September, the Politico website reports.

Activists have given the ultimatum amid fears the scandal is ripping the party apart and could cost the party their chances of winning the next election".

I did tell you that I thought Corbyn doesn't enjoy the vast power within Labour that some on the Right fear and imagine - and that the Labour Left, as well as the Moderates, will take a dim view of it if he looks like cocking up what should be an electorally advantageous situation for Labour, given the chaos and divisions within the Tory Party. Another reason why I think he'll have to tack closer to the Remain position - or maybe even promise a second referendum at some point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Having got involved in an extended debate about this yesterday, I want to avoid that today - and accept that it's valid to look at particular types of abuse (even if the likes of Tommy have their own reasons for doing that) OR to look at it across the board.

A quick point from the "looking at it across the board" perspective: one of the few factors common to all child sexual abuse outside the home/family seems to be power v. vulnerability: adults with unchecked power abusing kids in a vulnerable situation. That applies to institutional abuse like this in boarding schools or children's homes, abuse by priests, abuse of girls from children's homes by (mainly) Pakistani men, cases like Savile etc. How you tackle that disparity of power and vulnerability, I'm not sure: greater regulation of powerful people/institutions? somehow encouraging people in surrounding communities to report suspected abuse (whether that community is a school, the Catholic church, the BBC or a local Pakistani/Muslim community?

Of course, that doesn't necessarily address the issue of abuse within the home/family, but I don't want to go there.

As I say, just a single point as I don't want to get drawn into this again today....  

Edited by Alf Bentley

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

National treasure status confirmed.

A810C1B3-3876-413C-90FB-C61B029F06F3.thumb.jpeg.a3ef23da072564bdff6b8656c30ca94b.jpeg

There's a massive difference between a comedian making such a joke in a comedic context (is it really that funny anyway?) and a politician making such remarks knowing that it's going to ostracise a certain section of the society he's supposed to serve, knowing that's it's going to be seized upon by people who have certain bigoted opinions and above all knowing that he's doing all this in the pursuit of self-service.

Rights are wonderful things, but they come with responsibilities (isn't that something most on the right believe?). In making these comments in the context he has, Boris has failed in his.

The debate about the burka is a complicated one and if Boris was serious in addressing that, he should have done so in a manner more befitting of his current office and the offices in which he has previously served.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bovril said:

Not really a "good" joke is it, although we're talking about the man who played Mr Bean so not really a comedic genius. 

True, though Mr. Bean is a particular form of comedy and Blackadder was very good.

To be fair to him, Boris does have the ability to be very funny and creative with his humour - a quality that has helped him gain popularity way out of proportion to his abilities as a politician. He'd have been a good TV comedian.

But his "letterbox" and "gangster" jokes were banal humour of the most obvious kind, regardless of whether they were offensive.

A third potential reason for his comment occurred to me (the assumption being either that it was innocent if clumsy humour or subtle dog-whistle politics).....

Maybe he threw such comments into his article to counter-balance the liberal message that the article was giving overall?

He knows a lot of people feel hostile to burkas, in particular, or to Muslims, in general, and would not naturally be sympathetic to his liberal message.....so maybe he thought that he'd chuck in a couple of jokes at the expense of Muslims to keep them onside and not alienate them with his liberal views on the burka?

Just a thought. I'll get on with life now. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

True, though Mr. Bean is a particular form of comedy and Blackadder was very good.

To be fair to him, Boris does have the ability to be very funny and creative with his humour - a quality that has helped him gain popularity way out of proportion to his abilities as a politician. He'd have been a good TV comedian.

But his "letterbox" and "gangster" jokes were banal humour of the most obvious kind, regardless of whether they were offensive.

A third potential reason for his comment occurred to me (the assumption being either that it was innocent if clumsy humour or subtle dog-whistle politics).....

Maybe he threw such comments into his article to counter-balance the liberal message that the article was giving overall?

He knows a lot of people feel hostile to burkas, in particular, or to Muslims, in general, and would not naturally be sympathetic to his liberal message.....so maybe he thought that he'd chuck in a couple of jokes at the expense of Muslims to keep them onside and not alienate them with his liberal views on the burka?

Just a thought. I'll get on with life now. 

Yeah, I think that’s pretty much it. Seems to have worked too. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/08/boris-johnsons-burqa-comments-bolster-his-grassroots-conservative-support

Edited by Buce

Always thought Rowan Atkinson was a crusty old Tory at heart and now we know for sure!

Boris Johnson's remarks are beyond offensive. I have outed him as an ignorant Tory bigot on this forum before. Just what does he have to do to get the sack? Use Alf Garnett type language to Diane Abbott's face?

tory.jpg

• Like 1

Guest MattP
2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

In before @MattP and @Webbo :D

Extraordinary times when arguably the most chaotic Tory Govt and most unpopular Tory PM for decades are reportedly gaining ground and moving ahead of Labour....

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/poll-johnson-corbyn_uk_5b6cb058e4b0bdd06207be42

Westminster voting intention: CON: 39% (+1) LAB: 35% (-3) LDEM: 10% (-) UKIP: 7% (+1) via @YouGov, 08 - 09 Aug

...and when a left-wing faction works to hand the Labour leadership to a left-wing leader, then works to help him produce a surprisingly good election result....and now threatens to bring him down:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6042481/Corbyn-lose-support-Momentum-unless-backs-anti-Semitism.html

"Jeremy Corbyn has just a month to back down over the anti-Semitism row or face losing the backing of allies in Momentum and a major trade union, it today emerged...

He has now been told by his powerful allies he must formally sign up to the definition at a crunch party meeting in early September, the Politico website reports.

Activists have given the ultimatum amid fears the scandal is ripping the party apart and could cost the party their chances of winning the next election".

I did tell you that I thought Corbyn doesn't enjoy the vast power within Labour that some on the Right fear and imagine - and that the Labour Left, as well as the Moderates, will take a dim view of it if he looks like cocking up what should be an electorally advantageous situation for Labour, given the chaos and divisions within the Tory Party. Another reason why I think he'll have to tack closer to the Remain position - or maybe even promise a second referendum at some point.

As good as that sounds the poll is a bit of out of snyc with other, most have it level. Corbyn's personal rating in the same poll is now at it's lowest ever, just 22% of people think he would make a good Prime Minister. The biggest worry for the Tories is that Labour are still polling 35+ plus despite a large proportion of those voters also thinkng Corbyn will be a terrible PM, that's a big worry as if he goes they could 15-20 points behind in an instant.

If this is to be believed he's quite worried that he will be pushed the way you suggest - https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/09/corbyn-hopes-to-avert-calls-for-public-vote-on-brexit-at-conference

Labour has been considering how to head off a concerted attempt by remain-supporting members to stage a vote at its annual conference calling for a second referendum, to avoid what would be an embarrassing defeat for Jeremy Corbyn on the party’s Brexit policy.

About 130 constituency Labour parties (CLPs) were understood to have expressed willingness to back a motion in favour of a second vote, drafted by the pro-Corbyn campaign group Labour for People’s Vote.

To avoid a damaging defeat, one option is to invite delegates to support a Brexit policy statement that would refer to holding a second referendum, but only in exceptional circumstances.

1 hour ago, The Fox Covert said:

Always thought Rowan Atkinson was a crusty old Tory at heart and now we know for sure!

Boris Johnson's remarks are beyond offensive. I have outed him as an ignorant Tory bigot on this forum before. Just what does he have to do to get the sack? Use Alf Garnett type language to Diane Abbott's face?

Rown Atkinson is a Tory because he believes we should be allowed to tell jokes about religious dress? I'm not sure that's quite true.

As for him being sacked, don't be so utterly ridiculous. He's told a joke in a column, the idea he would be sacked from his job for that is so ludicrous I don't know where to begin.

21 minutes ago, MattP said:

As good as that sounds the poll is a bit of out of snyc with other, most have it level. Corbyn's personal rating in the same poll is now at it's lowest ever, just 22% of people think he would make a good Prime Minister. The biggest worry for the Tories is that Labour are still polling 35+ plus despite a large proportion of those voters also thinkng Corbyn will be a terrible PM, that's a big worry as if he goes they could 15-20 points behind in an instant.

If this is to be believed he's quite worried that he will be pushed the way you suggest - https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/09/corbyn-hopes-to-avert-calls-for-public-vote-on-brexit-at-conference

Rown Atkinson is a Tory because he believes we should be allowed to tell jokes about religious dress? I'm not sure that's quite true.

As for him being sacked, don't be so utterly ridiculous. He's told a joke in a column, the idea he would be sacked from his job for that is so ludicrous I don't know where to begin.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/aug/09/tory-party-must-choose-its-future-direction-after-boris-johnson-burqa-row-says-sajjad-karim-mep

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Mr. Bean's about as funny as a fire in an orphanage and I never thought Blackadder was that amazing. Of course, this is completely subjective...

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

There's a massive difference between a comedian making such a joke in a comedic context (is it really that funny anyway?) and a politician making such remarks knowing that it's going to ostracise a certain section of the society he's supposed to serve, knowing that's it's going to be seized upon by people who have certain bigoted opinions and above all knowing that he's doing all this in the pursuit of self-service.

Rights are wonderful things, but they come with responsibilities (isn't that something most on the right believe?). In making these comments in the context he has, Boris has failed in his.

The debate about the burka is a complicated one and if Boris was serious in addressing that, he should have done so in a manner more befitting of his current office and the offices in which he has previously served.

The people doing the most to ostracise burka wearing women from the rest of society is burka wearing women. The garment is completely alien to Western culture and many millions of people are firmly against it, and not just in Britain. 1280px-Burka_ban_world_map.svg.png

(nb, this map also discredits the "but it's racist" narrative)

If Boris or indeed any politician or even the average citizen had to sit down and consider the consequences and permutations of every single word they said or wrote, nobody would say anything ever. Basically a point covered better by Rowan Atkinson again:

As a high profile politician Boris literally has a job to start these debates. His language may be colourful but at least he's more honest than most politicians and had every right and duty to use his own words in his own way. 

If anyone is bigoted it's the people focussing on his innocuous choice of words and ignoring the rest of his argument. Grown-up people understand that as soon as they go outside or online or have any contact with the outside world, they might be triggered by something that will upset them. By accepting that and getting over one or two words that may be offensive, you stand a better chance of understanding the other 1000 words in the essay.

Either way, Boris has won this round.

• Like 1