Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

13 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Have you got them growing in a cage? I bought one a few years ago that looks similar I have Raspberry's one end and broccoli and cauliflower the other. I think its brilliant as stops the bloody birds nicking all nicking all the fruits in it. Raspberry's are not doing so well this year though, think i cut them down too much last year :( 

Yes Suze it’s a cage ..  home made ...   and a few of us all use it.  It certainly stops the little buggers getting in but we have to keep checking the perimeter ..  :)   Our raspberries aren’t too bad but the stawberries thrive ...  and the blackberries do very well too ..

• Like 1

On 20/05/2019 at 18:49, Izzy said:

UK Wildlife: Australian black swan spotted in Scotland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/48338856

What an amazing looking bird..

Yeah, beautiful birds.

Perhaps They're rare in Scotland but there's been some in England for years.  We had one in in 2010 (apologies for shit photo).

They're quite feisty compared to our mutes and make a noise a bit llike a horn on a clown car.  We had to take him down to Reading when we released him as there is quite an established population down there on the Thames.  There are some at Blakeney in Norfolk too.

black-swan-2.jpg.d4ad3fdcfb27e48fe4c0e531175b67d7.jpg

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Countryfox said:

This bird box is on my bathroom window ledge...   she’s in and out nonstop at the moment ...  the young chicks will soon be taking their first flight ...  good luck !

1F57FF33-E4EE-4C08-A935-EFF15CFFE601.jpeg

Nice tit.

27 minutes ago, murphy said:

Yeah, beautiful birds.

Perhaps They're rare in Scotland but there's been some in England for years.  We had one in in 2010 (apologies for shit photo).

They're quite feisty compared to our mutes and make a noise a bit llike a horn on a clown car.  We had to take him down to Reading when we released him as there is quite an established population down there on the Thames.  There are some at Blakeney in Norfolk too.

black-swan-2.jpg.d4ad3fdcfb27e48fe4c0e531175b67d7.jpg

I didn't think people were allowed to own swans in England.

Just now, FIF said:

I didn't think people were allowed to own swans in England.

No, we used to run a wildlife rescue.  The RSPCA used to bring us casualties from all over and then they would be released when they were ready.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Buce said:

Albino panda caught on camera in China in world first

2831.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

Fake news ..   a can of dulux off white and some pink contact lenses ...   those pandas are well known for these type of shenanigans ...  prolific pranksters in the animal world ...     never trust em !! 

Edited by Countryfox

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I’ve been saying about doing a pizza oven for a while and I’m actually starting it tomorrow. It’s going to be a ****ing disaster so I’ll share the pictures to get the abuse I’ll deserve.

Idvad_.gif

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is into Ponds and have a Heron issue, do not buy any of them eyes they spin around that cost around £30. They are supposed to scare off the Herons, but for me I have found they don’t work and I have spent £60 on them.

I thought £60 would save my stock, but no, I just end up with £60 less in my pocket and the Heron just carries on feeding.

Ive gone for a net now, which isn’t very sightly, but at least it keeps me in fish. 

1 hour ago, Rob1742 said:

If anyone is into Ponds and have a Heron issue, do not buy any of them eyes they spin around that cost around £30. They are supposed to scare off the Herons, but for me I have found they don’t work and I have spent £60 on them.

I thought £60 would save my stock, but no, I just end up with £60 less in my pocket and the Heron just carries on feeding.

Ive gone for a net now, which isn’t very sightly, but at least it keeps me in fish. 

Yep nets look crap and if they have a breach the heron gets in ...   used a different method to sort my heron problem ...    :ph34r: ....   sorted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob1742 said:

33 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Yep nets look crap and if they have a breach the heron gets in ...   used a different method to sort my heron problem ...    :ph34r: ....   sorted.

PB0033A_cat_spray_jet_repeller_9696-2-MA

https://www.primrose.co.uk/-p-99060.html?adtype=pla&kwd=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6urcsP714gIVwUPTCh04uAUYEAQYASABEgLb1fD_BwE

You're welcome. :)

2 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

On 27/05/2019 at 20:47, Izzy said:

What a fvckin awesome picture

Photographer 'overwhelmed' by response to bald eagle picture

Bruce the bald eagle stares down photographer Steve Biro

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48360559

Sorted.

25 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

That is awesome! Do you think it'd detect cats or immigrants. (It's ok my grandfather is an immigrant.... whatever his name is)

Dunno, but if it can be programmed to recognize the mother-in-law, then I'm all over it.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Countryfox said:

This whopping tree came down due to the rain and this is a pic of its uprooted base ...   it stands about 7ft high and you can stand inside it ...   if I were 10 again that would be my forever den ! ...

IMG_2274.jpg

Have you got an X-Wing in the pond as well?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Rehab?

Sort of ....   Mr Heron was taking quite a few of my fish (which was a bit of a bummer as I’d lost the last lot to an otter ...   but an electric fence sorted that)  ...   I’d tried a few scaring devices before but to no avail ...  these new fish had been given to me by an old lady whose husband had died and wanted me to look after them and let her and her granddaughter visit every now and then to see them ...   the heron came every day and the last time I saw him he was swallowing a squealing mallard chick ....      I then decided rehab combined with lead therapy was indeed the answer to my problem ....    never seen him since !! ...   :)

17 hours ago, Buce said:

Thought about this, but I may need 2 or 3 as the pond is huge. My net covers half the pond, so I still have a risk of losing some of the fish. I'll see how this option goes. Further problems compounded by a snake in the pond, so I am sure he will be feasting on the fish or newts. Its a good two/three foot long.

Squirrels - Another problem I am encountering. In the middle of a man v squirrel battle with regards trying to keep  the bird feeders for the birds.

1. 1-0 to squirrels as he pinches the bird food

2. 1-1 as man buys squirrel baffler

3. 2-1 to squirrels as squirrels finds a way around the baffler

4. 2-2 as man buys squirrel proof bird feeders

5. 3-2 to squirrels as squirrels open up the tops of the squirrel proof feeders

6. 3-3 as man buys metal food bag fasteners and attaches them around the tops so squirrels can't get the tops off

7. 4-3 to squirrels as they literally un-tie the fasteners. I knew there was risk of chewing through the metal, but they actually untie them, even though I put several on.

8. 4-4 as man takes huge step and buys padlocks to padlock the tops on the feeders. Surely they can't get in now?

9. 5-4 to squirrels as they remove the top by breaking the hinge on the tops.

My next plan is to buy different feeders. I will win.

My missus was spending £30 a month on bird food and I was telling her the squirrels were having it all. So the battle has reduced my outlay, but they are still winning. On top of the £30 a month they cost me, they have pulled up the lawn so badly last year, I had to spend £100 on compost and seed to get it back to an acceptable point. I think the ground was so hard last year they struggled to dig holes so they took a huge amount of the lawn up,

It was only yesterday they managed to get through the hinge, so today I go again. I will get to 5-5 and see what they do next. You have to admire their persistence and intelligence. To actually unwind food bag tags to get the lids open was pretty impressive stuff.