Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Raven and buzzard at it over my place ...  both have nest sites only a few hundred yards apart so neither would quit ..  watched for a while with the Raven bombing and the Buzzard rolling over and thrusting its talons out ...  epic battle that moved away from me but didn't stop.   There's now a Red Kite in the area ...   bigger than the pair of them so should be interesting ! ...

IMG_1840.jpg

• Like 3

A very large tree came down in a wood near me and blocked a path ...   would have been fairly costly to shift it but clever trousers here had a plan ...   leave it as it is and cut an arch through it ...  slightly diverting the path.   Saved quite a bit of money and time for the owner and we were all done in a few hours ...   :thumbup:

IMG_1844.jpg

27 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Raven and buzzard at it over my place ...  both have nest sites only a few hundred yards apart so neither would quit ..  watched for a while with the Raven bombing and the Buzzard rolling over and thrusting its talons out ...  epic battle that moved away from me but didn't stop.   There's now a Red Kite in the area ...   bigger than the pair of them so should be interesting ! ...

IMG_1840.jpg

Lucky to see a Raven.

4 hours ago, cambridgefox said:

Lucky to see a Raven.

There's a nest not far from me and as the young prince bought me a drone for Christmas I'm going to hover over and take pics of the young ...   (when I finally get it out the box and learn to fly it that is !! ..   :)) ...   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

There's a nest not far from me and as the young prince bought me a drone for Christmas I'm going to hover over and take pics of the young ...   (when I finally get it out the box and learn to fly it that is !! ..   :)) ...   

Good luck with that, we’ve used drones for a lot of woodland mapping and adult ravens and buzzards don’t take kindly to drones ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Countryfox said:

My mate often sends me footage of a Shag!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just caught a mason bee in the act of burrowing into the mortar of exposed brickwork in my bedroom.  I'm presuming it's the only one because I've not noticed the chirping noises it makes before.  Not wanting to poke around and risk angering it into defending itself I've stuck a bit of tissue in the hole effectively trapping the poor fella, was this smart?  If I remove the tissue will it go in search of somewhere less likely to get blocked at the entrance?

5 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Just caught a mason bee in the act of burrowing into the mortar of exposed brickwork in my bedroom.  I'm presuming it's the only one because I've not noticed the chirping noises it makes before.  Not wanting to poke around and risk angering it into defending itself I've stuck a bit of tissue in the hole effectively trapping the poor fella, was this smart?  If I remove the tissue will it go in search of somewhere less likely to get blocked at the entrance?

Remove the tissue then replace it once it comes out to look for food.  

Open a window to allow it to escape the room. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Buce said:

Remove the tissue then replace it once it comes out to look for food.  

Open a window to allow it to escape the room. 

Cheers, I went slightly more direct than that in the end:  When I pulled the tissue out it had turned around to face me and immediately started very cautiously making its way back towards the entrance (my guess about it being a new excavation must have been correct, seems it didn't have anywhere else to crawl off to in the meantime).  It didn't seem nearly as intimidating from this angle so I reverted to the standard glass and envelope and let the little cutie out far off into the garden.  If only all bees were so easily displaced.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Cheers, I went slightly more direct than that in the end:  When I pulled the tissue out it had turned around to face me and immediately started very cautiously making its way back towards the entrance (my guess about it being a new excavation must have been correct, seems it didn't have anywhere else to crawl off to in the meantime).  It didn't seem nearly as intimidating from this angle so I reverted to the standard glass and envelope and let the little cutie out far off into the garden.  If only all bees were so easily displaced.

Good man. :thumbup:

We had a huge swarm of wild honey bees hanging from a tree in the garden a couple of years ago (I think I posted a pic on here). It took them about a week to find somewhere else to live, but when they went they took off as one - a really impressive sight.

22 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

you mustve shelled out a bit for that

Haha. :)

Actually, she's doing someone a favour - it belongs to an elderly person who can no longer care for it.

5 hours ago, Buce said:

Mrs B is well excited - she has been given a tortoise.

I've been looking at getting a shelled pet recently, preferably a turtle though so I can name it after a renaissance painter.  Being a tortoise I guess it's a dry enclosure? Is it one of the handheld models or a big lump that follows you around the garden like a Jason Vorhees wannabe?

21 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I've been looking at getting a shelled pet recently, preferably a turtle though so I can name it after a renaissance painter.  Being a tortoise I guess it's a dry enclosure? Is it one of the handheld models or a big lump that follows you around the garden like a Jason Vorhees wannabe?

I'm unsure of the details, Carl, she hasn't collected it yet, but the woman has had it about forty years so I expect it's a fair size.

I'll post some pics when it arrives.

I went to see the starling murmurations at Attenborough nature reserve in Jan.

It was on the news,  Tens of thousands of starlings painting swirling patterns in the sky so we drove up there, stood for an hour in the freezing cold with about 40 other people into dusk and then into darkness.  Nothing happened.

This is what we should have seen:

download.jpeg.ada244a5a870fc3e164b05e60cdd3eab.jpeg

This is what we actually saw:

448067079_download(1).jpeg.0df9904f3631ef2182a7ebec48890b9a.jpeg

Bloody starlings.  Just plain rude.

On a brighter note, we had a couple of red squirrels regularly visiting our bird table when we in the Lakes over Christmas.

• Like 1

Think i said about building a pizza oven last year but I’m actually going to try it this weekend. Bear in mind I’m physically incapable of anything DIY related and I need to not only build an entire pizza oven from scratch but I also need to turn part of my garden into a slabbed area.

No turning back and at least if it ends in divorce I’ve made a start on the grave 

05F2F3A1-ED0D-43F4-AFE9-0CD7C1BA5DBB.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Think i said about building a pizza oven last year but I’m actually going to try it this weekend. Bear in mind I’m physically incapable of anything DIY related and I need to not only build an entire pizza oven from scratch but I also need to turn part of my garden into a slabbed area.

No turning back and at least if it ends in divorce I’ve made a start on the grave 

05F2F3A1-ED0D-43F4-AFE9-0CD7C1BA5DBB.png

Looks great so far I can just picture the scene... cocktail in hand wishing you built that pizza oven....

• Haha 2