Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

1 minute ago, Buce said:

Is it a bobtail?

yep, its a bobtail, they are also know as Shingle Backs or Stumpies. (wow that word looks weird when i write it) occasionally as Blue Tongues coz they have really dark blue tongue (duh).

They can be a little aggressive and bitey but it was cold today (15) so this one was a bit slow. The bite isnt painfull due to teeth, but more because of the force they bite with, can be really hard to get them to let go.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ozleicester said:

yep, its a bobtail, they are also know as Shingle Backs or Stumpies. (wow that word looks weird when i write it) occasionally as Blue Tongues coz they have really dark blue tongue (duh).

They can be a little aggressive and bitey but it was cold today (15) so this one was a bit slow. The bite isnt painfull due to teeth, but more because of the force they bite with, can be really hard to get them to let go.

Cheers, I thought so.

I've been swotting up on WA fauna ready for my trip, and it really brings it home how little we have here in the UK.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Buce said:

Hey, @Carl the Llama.

Mrs B just picked up her tortoise. It's a 66-year old Greek Spur-thighed (considerably older than we thought). We introduced him to the cat and he now follows her all around the garden. lol

I'll get some pics later.

Awww yisss, had a couple of those guys in the garden of the house I was staying at one holiday.  Very personable creatures, you don't expect them to be all that bothered by people but they'd come 'running' up to say hi whenever you stepped foot outside (presumably expecting some veggies but still).

3 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Awww yisss, had a couple of those guys in the garden of the house I was staying at one holiday.  Very personable creatures, you don't expect them to be all that bothered by people but they'd come 'running' up to say hi whenever you stepped foot outside (presumably expecting some veggies but still).

Yeah, I'm surprised at how sociable he is. He's having a great time exploring his new garden and chasing the cat.

If you ever decide you want one, mate, there are tons that need rehoming.

Edited by Buce

I disturbed a heron when I was out training this morning - I quickly whipped my phone out but it flew off and I thought I'd missed it. Not clear, I know, but I like the way it reflects in the water:

Heron2.png.9c0eac42a749b98d218950f02587b979.png

Edited by Buce

5 hours ago, Buce said:

The newest addition to the family:

A17F3BE8-324A-4313-BA73-0607332C9F18.jpeg.1c5fc37fdb12612c6c90ee713fa0ac78.jpeg

It's one that the next generation of your family can keep an eye on, as they can last 10's of years if they're managed well. :thumbup:

It's a rare 'pet' to have, obviously, but am shore it'll be a gem for your household.

Edit: Sure you've probably done a lot of initial research into them, but here's quite a useful website in how to manage them - if it helps.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/tortoises-as-pets-1237258

Edited by Wymeswold fox

1 minute ago, Wymeswold fox said:

It's one that the next generation of your family can keep an eye on, as they can last 10's of years if they're managed well. :thumbup:

It's a rare 'pet' to have, obviously, but am shore it'll be a gem for your household.

Yeah, they can live into their hundreds but it’s already 66. I doubt I’ll outlive it but Mrs B just might. 

On 20/04/2019 at 16:02, Buce said:

I disturbed a heron when I was out training this morning - I quickly whipped my phone out but it flew off and I thought I'd missed it. Not clear, I know, but I like the way it reflects in the water:

Heron2.png.9c0eac42a749b98d218950f02587b979.png

Sorry Buce but that is one shit photo.

Either that or Herons can fly at 200mph.

In other news, I finally got a date with that Dua Lipa.  Here's a photo to prove it....

images.jpeg.367b066b9f559cf16367d496b890d2ac.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, murphy said:

Sorry Buce but that is one shit photo.

Either that or Herons can fly at 200mph.

In other news, I finally got a date with that Dua Lipa.  Here's a photo to prove it....

images.jpeg.367b066b9f559cf16367d496b890d2ac.jpeg

I know. ?

Tbf, I had to blow it up for it to be seen at all - the focus was quite sharp in the original photo. 

• Like 1

There was some grunting and snorting just outside my patio window last night at dusk. Two hedgehogs were dancing together, next to the bowl of water and the handful of peanuts which I put out, every night of the year. Their mating rituals must be the funniest on the planet, with the possible exception of Papua New Guinea's birds of paradise.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Countryfox said:

This will soon be a sea of strawberries !! ....   :)

FC6F176C-E546-418E-A0C9-1EEC83D3AAF6.jpeg

Have you got them growing in a cage? I bought one a few years ago that looks similar I have Raspberry's one end and broccoli and cauliflower the other. I think its brilliant as stops the bloody birds nicking all nicking all the fruits in it. Raspberry's are not doing so well this year though, think i cut them down too much last year :(