Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Wildlife and Gardens Thread

If you're in the area, the Thurcaston & Cropston open gardens event is this weekend. There are some really nice gardens to have a nose around and some very knowledgeable garden owners if you have any questions. I happen to know that one of the gardens will host a couple of the BBC Radio Leicester gardening & vegetable experts too!

1 hour ago, TiffToff88 said:

If you're in the area, the Thurcaston & Cropston open gardens event is this weekend. There are some really nice gardens to have a nose around and some very knowledgeable garden owners if you have any questions. I happen to know that one of the gardens will host a couple of the BBC Radio Leicester gardening & vegetable experts too!

I bet there are some pretty spectacular ones round there.

Will probably trigger even more property/garden envy than the Western Park one a couple of weekends ago

• Like 1

On 23/06/2019 at 13:00, Buce said:

On the one hand they are strong swimmers, so it seems likely that's what it is in your pond; on the other hand, they are non-venomous, and rarely bite in defence, so I doubt if that was what has bitten the digger.

Also, they feed almost exclusively on amphibians, so I doubt if it's a threat to your fish either (ironically, grass snakes are prey for herons).

They can bite, definitely strike, I've handled a few over the years but their main defence is to emit a really foul smelling stinky slime.

My fecking neighbour decided to fill in their long neglected large pond.  I asked if their was anything in there when they filled it in and she said no.  I know that was bull because we get frogs, toads and newts coming into our garden through the hole in the fence all the time.  I'm now making emergency ponds to accommodate them, until I can sort something out permanently.  God knows how much they killed filling it in.  I do hate people some times.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Vince Vega said:

My fecking neighbour decided to fill in their long neglected large pond.  I asked if their was anything in there when they filled it in and she said no.  I know that was bull because we get frogs, toads and newts coming into our garden through the hole in the fence all the time.  I'm now making emergency ponds to accommodate them, until I can sort something out permanently.  God knows how much they killed filling it in.  I do hate people some times.

Don't panic.

Frogs and toads only require still water for breeding - as long as they have somewhere damp and shady for them to escape from the sun, they'll be quite content. Plant some leafy plants or make some frog shelters out of old broken plant pots and half bury them in the soil in among your plants.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Vince Vega said:

Likely Newts in there too. I very much doubt the numpties emptied in properly before filling it in.

If there were Great Crested Newts in there they would likely be in trouble although not certain anyone could prove it. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Likely Newts in there too. I very much doubt the numpties emptied in properly before filling it in.

If there were Great Crested Newts in there they would likely be in trouble although not certain anyone could prove it. 

I found two dead, 'dried up' newts last night and two others alive.  They are smooth newts.  The pond was filled in with full knowledge of the wildlife in there.  The houses in our road are 1950s build, with long gardens.  New people move in and demolish 'traditional' gardens, with extensions, contemporary patios etc. which results in less habitat for wildlife.

It's a shame.  I suppose I'm just getting old though.     

37 minutes ago, Vince Vega said:

I found two dead, 'dried up' newts last night and two others alive.  They are smooth newts.  The pond was filled in with full knowledge of the wildlife in there.  The houses in our road are 1950s build, with long gardens.  New people move in and demolish 'traditional' gardens, with extensions, contemporary patios etc. which results in less habitat for wildlife.

It's a shame.  I suppose I'm just getting old though.    

Really?

I thought Wigston was just full of pistasa newts... :whistle:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

One for @Buce & @Countryfox, we have got a baby bird in our garden that looks like it’s unable to fly. It’s just sat in one of our plant pots is there anything we can do as we do get a couple of cats in our garden at night.

Not in my experience, no. :(

I'd leave it and hope it's parents come for it and coax it away somewhere. Have you any idea what it is?

22 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

One for @Buce & @Countryfox, we have got a baby bird in our garden that looks like it’s unable to fly. It’s just sat in one of our plant pots is there anything we can do as we do get a couple of cats in our garden at night.

Put it somewhere relatively safe but nearby and hope it learns to fly quickly .....     :fc:

43 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

We've had loads of blackbird fledglings in our garden the past few weeks, was quite concerning to begin with but apparently they leave the nest unable to fly and the parents monitor it until it can. We did take one to the wildlife hospital though cause it only had 1 eye, looked a right mess and just let us pick it up. Quite funny seeing the parents flapping around them whilst they just walk around. I dont know if it's the same for all birds but if it's a blackbird it will probably be ok.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

This majestic oak, which was about a 100 ft tall, toppled over as the ground became so waterlogged last week ...    real shame ...   this is going to take a lot of chopping ...    big chainsaw I think !

3CC7E056-B01B-4409-87DB-2D4CDEE38623.jpeg

When the wood is chopped up if you need any takes give me a shout, I can pay in pizza.

• Haha 1

Glad to have found this thread, love me gardening. Always rented but any chance to build a garden and i'll take it. It's easier and cheaper than people think, and living close to the city the wild life is really struggling. I live on a street of terraced houses and hardly anyone these days has a garden. Even whacking some insect attracting bulbs in a tub is helpful and you'd be surprised how a few flowers in your yard can cheer you up.

Edited by TheLittleBigMan
  • Like 1