Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxInTheBirstallBox

Teaching

On 7/10/2017 at 16:08, Daggers said:

True Stuff

I can't agree enough. As a primary school teacher (just finished my third year), I don't think I ever work less than 60 hours a week, often much more. While I enjoy parts of the job, overall it's soul destroying and wears you down; if I didn't have an expensive mortgage to pay off, I'd be looking for another job already.

The pay is fine, but the hours and expectations can be ridiculous (though this can be better or worse, depending on the school). OP, if you go into teaching, then I wish you all the best, but hand on heart, I honestly can't say that I would recommend it to anyone.

9 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Hopefully it's like ghostbusters, where they say not to cross the streams... but end up doing so and it saves the world.

Also, given the portents, what the heck, might as well go into teaching.

3 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I frequently regret having a vivid imagination. 

Nor am I going to engage in deplorable naked animalistic rutting with him in the dogging car park at Bradgate. 

Crikey I never expected to hear it was going to be hunky dory but I didn't expect this kind of response. I don't know any other teachers to ask for advice hence why I turned to here, but considering everyone is saying near on the same thing I can see now why they advertise teaching jobs on the TV. Certainly gave me a lot to think about 

10 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Nor am I going to engage in deplorable naked animalistic rutting with him in the dogging car park at Bradgate. 

Now you see, your mistake there was you were quite specific, leaving little room for my imagination to fill in.

Must try harder.

12 minutes ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

Crikey I never expected to hear it was going to be hunky dory but I didn't expect this kind of response. I don't know any other teachers to ask for advice hence why I turned to here, but considering everyone is saying near on the same thing I can see now why they advertise teaching jobs on the TV. Certainly gave me a lot to think about 

I'm sorry, man. :(

I wish I could offer conflicting evidence myself but my own experience tallies with that written by the teachers on here so far which is why I got out of it after two years.

19 minutes ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

It isn't all bad. There is a slight shift away from the form filling mania which blighted the job and a semblance of common sense is returning. I would still recommend that you spend some time in a school and experience what it is like being a teacher. As most on here have commented it is the hours worked that will shock you.

If you are still interested, try and be realistic with yourself in terms of how much of you you are willing to give to the job. No matter how hard you work it will never be enough and that can be a difficult thing to accept but also ultimately a liberating feeling. Try not to confuse who you are with who the person doing the job is; allowing that line to be blurred is not healthy. Don't confuse popularity with competence; the only day you want students to like you is results day. Do try and enjoy it; it may will be the best thing you ever do - it will almost certainly feel like the worst thing you've ever done on occasion.

48 minutes ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

I think it also depends on what subject it is you're teaching, to what age group, and where.

My wife is a Dance Teacher in London and she absolutely loves it. Her students are aged 16-18 and she's in her late 40's, so the interaction with the youth of today helps her to stay feeling young and vibrant.

By the time she's paid for travel and childcare she hardly has any money left, but she's fine with that. It's not about the money or career progression for her, it's about doing what she's born to do and following her passion.

She puts up with the politics and has crossed the picket line on more than a few occasions because she doesn't give a shit about all that. She does the job because she makes a difference and feels good about helping the kids follow their own dreams.

The holidays are good and she's got a Teachers Pension which is acceptable. Sometimes she does work at home and she has the odd bad day but overall she's happy as a pick in shit.

Just thought I'd put a positive example out there :) 

In fairness, when I was looking at it, there were more voices of encouragement from those in the profession than there were folk trying to put me off.

I got the impression that a lot depends on a few factors, like at what stage of your teaching career you're at. It's certainly very hard work to start with, but then you get on top of it and if you're lucky enjoy a period of career progression.  The most negative people I've spoken to are those who've been doing it for quite a long time, have gotten fed up of the constant changes and are just knackered. I've also spoken to some who still love it after 20 years plus, but they seem to be people that have got winging it down to a fine art, and cheerily acknowledge that if you did everything that's theoretically expected of you, you'd be broken.

Another big thing is the individual school - I did my teaching experience in a school where the head was pretty much revered and whilst expecting a lot from his staff was known for being very supportive of them. I've also heard about schools where teachers have effectively been bullied out of positions for supposedly flimsy reasons

Archived