Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Technology, Science and the Environment.

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Interesting - if rather disconcerting - feature on the BBC programme Click regarding deepfakes.

The tech is moving much faster than our moral application of it and it is being gleefully seized upon by horrible powermongers to control and gain more power for themselves. Not sure what the solution is, either.

Where public usage and societal impact is concerned, it seems fair to say that our attitude to the application of computer technology has been somewhat laissez-faire. 

Considering the current and prospective issues around deepfake technology, I wonder if it would be possible, and necessary, to have a concerted effort for the creation of detection tools to be installed natively on computers. 

It can be easy to feel alarmist when discussing the dangers around future technology which is yet to hit it's prime, but tech such as this and AI appears to be scaring quite a few folk smarter than myself. 

There seems to be historic precedent for utilising institutions of the brightest minds to defend society when there is a public need to do so. I wonder if the advancement of this sort of tech will be one of those times, in order to stay ahead of those that would seek to cause harm. 

I appreciate there will probably be private enterprise appear in this area too, but I do wonder if the market incentive is there for corporations to move fast enough.

Edit: Thought it appropriate to say I haven't yet seen the content you mentioned, and so these are just general thoughts. 

Edited by samlcfc

22 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Interesting - if rather disconcerting - feature on the BBC programme Click regarding deepfakes.

The tech is moving much faster than our moral application of it and it is being gleefully seized upon by horrible powermongers to control and gain more power for themselves. Not sure what the solution is, either.

Kill all the horrible power mongers.

On 10/03/2024 at 16:39, samlcfc said:

Where public usage and societal impact is concerned, it seems fair to say that our attitude to the application of computer technology has been somewhat laissez-faire. 

Considering the current and prospective issues around deepfake technology, I wonder if it would be possible, and necessary, to have a concerted effort for the creation of detection tools to be installed natively on computers. 

It can be easy to feel alarmist when discussing the dangers around future technology which is yet to hit it's prime, but tech such as this and AI appears to be scaring quite a few folk smarter than myself. 

There seems to be historic precedent for utilising institutions of the brightest minds to defend society when there is a public need to do so. I wonder if the advancement of this sort of tech will be one of those times, in order to stay ahead of those that would seek to cause harm. 

I appreciate there will probably be private enterprise appear in this area too, but I do wonder if the market incentive is there for corporations to move fast enough.

Edit: Thought it appropriate to say I haven't yet seen the content you mentioned, and so these are just general thoughts. 

I think that the detection tech will naturally follow as there is a natural demand for it - so you'll get the classic tech arms race as creators of deepfakes and detectors of them compete against each other.

But it is still such a nascent market and with far too many possible consequences, both intended and unintended, which is scary to anyone smart in the know.

9 hours ago, Blarmy said:

Kill all the horrible power mongers.

A possible solution, but noisy and liable to cause comment. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ian__marshall said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68543677

Really interesting concept. Hope this takes off as it's quite a logical solution really. Biggest challenge seems to be scaling up to expand usage. Hope the manufacturer is willing to licence the technology to others to take some of the burden off themselves. 

It is an interesting concept, and every little bit helps.

On 13/03/2024 at 09:06, ian__marshall said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68543677

Really interesting concept. Hope this takes off as it's quite a logical solution really. Biggest challenge seems to be scaling up to expand usage. Hope the manufacturer is willing to licence the technology to others to take some of the burden off themselves. 

On 13/03/2024 at 10:08, leicsmac said:

It is an interesting concept, and every little bit helps.

I'll say what I said when I first saw this...

News: Wind powered boat - who'd have thunk it!

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, looks like telemetry has been lost. Could be just re-entry blackout, could be that it broke up or was blown up.

Hopefully it's the plasma field blackout. The roll I was referring to appears to have been pre-programmed and controlled. 

5 minutes ago, SpacedX said:

Hopefully it's the plasma field blackout. The roll I was referring to appears to have been pre-programmed and controlled. 

Sadly not, looks to be that the ship was lost.

Still, it's continual improvement that is being demonstrated. Here's hoping they go still further next time!

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Sadly not, looks to be that the ship was lost.

Still, it's continual improvement that is being demonstrated. Here's hoping they go still further next time!

The fact that they got as far as reentry is immensely encouraging. 

I do however think that Artemis 3 will not be accomplished until the next decade - unless its mission designation is changed and a crewed landing is assigned to a later mission. Space X have so much yet to accomplish in the development of the HLS. 

Just now, SpacedX said:

The fact that they got as far as reentry is immensely encouraging. 

I do however think that Artemis 3 will not be accomplished until the next decade - unless its mission designation is changed and a crewed landing is assigned to a later mission. Space X have so much yet to accomplish in the development of the HLS. 

If they can't demonstrate the safety capability of Starship for landings within the year, then yeah, it's going to keep getting pushed back. Which is rather dispiriting.

Ship 29 and booster 11 are already in preparation for a June flight. The turnarounds will start getting much more rapid. In advance of that, today's test will have yielded so much valuable data. 

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

If they can't demonstrate the safety capability of Starship for landings within the year, then yeah, it's going to keep getting pushed back. Which is rather dispiriting.

The crucial milestone will be demonstrating in-space fuelling capability. It's certainly a long road. 

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68576735

Greenpeace could be thrown out of the UN body overseeing controversial plans to begin deep-sea mining.

One mining company claims the campaign group disrupted a research expedition in the remote Pacific.

Member states of the UN's International Seabed Association could choose to strip Greenpeace of its observer status within the group.

Greenpeace says the incident in question was a peaceful protest aimed at protecting a pristine ecosystem.

Difficult to say who is in the right long term here - there's still no hard numbers to be sure either way. Perhaps something in between.