Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Technology, Science and the Environment.

2 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Not to write a pre-emptive obituary of OpenAI, but it does go to show how you can go from "pausing paid sign-ups as too we've too many customers" to potential exodus of your key staff in a week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67470876

The plot thickens. 

Staff at OpenAI have called on the board of the company to resign after the shock dismissal of former boss Sam Altman.

In a letter, they question the board's competence, and accuse it of undermining the firm's work.

They also demand Mr Altman's reinstatement.

Bring back the boss or Microsoft has a ready built AI department instead of funding middlemen. lol

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Guess it just goes to show that office politics screws even cutting edge techbro outfits.

It just all seems so odd. If the man has done something bad enough to get the sack, they need to come out and say it. You don't dismiss a leading man in AI from an AI company without good cause and then just stay silent. :unsure:

OpenAI co-founder Sam Altman will return as boss just days after he was fired by the board, the firm has said.

The agreement "in principle" involves a new board members being appointed, the tech company added.

And the world made sense again. Good job OpenAI employees, that board of donkeys owes you more than they know. And undoubtedly that means Microsoft get a seat at the table to hopefully curb their donkeyness in the future. 

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Didn't you get the memo?

"Real men" don't care about piffling stuff like air pollution, even when it makes them fire blanks.

It's amazing isn't it? People get so irate about stuff and so quick to feel like a victim of any sort of change for good but take zero interest in why that change might be in their interests and how the status quo might actually be, well, a bit shit

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

Real men are impervious to absolutely everything, you know. 

I just wish this were a parody rather than an accurate representation of a statistically significant subset of the population.

Or the apathy part, at least.

6 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It's amazing isn't it? People get so irate about stuff and so quick to feel like a victim of any sort of change for good but take zero interest in why that change might be in their interests and how the status quo might actually be, well, a bit shit

Yes.

*cries in science communicator*

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Not really ‘amazing’ - climate change is another thing that ‘may’ cause harm to fertility. Alongside other things that are proven to cause harm to fertility such as a phone in your pocket, smoking, alcohol, poor diet, lack of exercise etc etc. Why would this headline convince anyone 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-67488931

Researchers have located "the perfect solar system", forged without the violent collisions that made our own a hotchpotch of different-sized planets.

The system, 100 light years away, has six planets, all about the same size. They've barely changed since its formation up to 12 billion years ago.

Interesting. We're still not sure what kinds of planetary systems are the predominant one in our local area, much less the rest of the galaxy/universe, so finding out more about that is important.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Izzy said:

If only I subscribed to the FT and could read it :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, The Bear said:

That's weird, it allowed me to read it the first time I clicked on it, but now it's blocking it. 

Story here too:

https://www.technologyreview.com/2023/11/29/1084061/deepmind-ai-tool-for-new-materials-discovery/

Also, I would absolutely not recommend using https://archive.is and you absolutely should not simply enter the FT web address into the search bar when you're there.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

That's weird, it allowed me to read it the first time I clicked on it, but now it's blocking it. 

Story here too:

https://www.technologyreview.com/2023/11/29/1084061/deepmind-ai-tool-for-new-materials-discovery/

There is so much potential good to come from AI, I read about the speed at which new medicines are being developed, many times faster than human researchers. 
So much to fear too… 

Edited by jgtuk
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

There is so many potential good to come from AI, I read about the speed at which new medicines are being developed, many times faster than human researchers. 
So much to fear too… 

It's like any other radical development, really. The genie is out of the bottle and it has the potential to make our world so much better, but it could go the other way too. But we have no choice but to take the chance.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jgtuk said:

Here’s the Guardian’s take on the same subject

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/dec/03/back-into-caves-cop28-president-dismisses-phase-out-of-fossil-fuels

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

It is certainly a risk if we were to stop fossil fuels before the alternatives are in place, but I don't see that happening tbh.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

10 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

It is certainly a risk if we were to stop fossil fuels before the alternatives are in place, but I don't see that happening tbh.

:dunno: If we don't get stopping fossil fuels for energy generation pretty damn quick then it's a probability our species ends up back in the caves in short order anyway. Or an equivalent thereof.

• Like 3