Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Technology, Science and the Environment.

4 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Whilst I agree with the overall conclusion of the article (from my own personal bias :)  ) I do think 264 is too small a number to take anything meaningful from it.. increase by a factor 10 and I'll start paying attention.

Just now, blabyboy said:

I do think 264 is too small a number to take anything meaningful from it.. increase by a factor 10 and I'll start paying attention.

Well as a Taurean with naturally suspicious trait, I'd agree with you. 

• Haha 1

On 23/11/2021 at 14:45, leicsmac said:

Fusion power is the Holy Grail of human technological development, for a variety of reasons.

We have to succeed. And it looks like we finally might!

Really interesting read, thanks.

"just 10 years to go"... ad infinitum

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59419110

Not long to go now, and it's about time!

It will hopefully answer a great deal of very important questions.

It's actually incomprehensible to my mind how something can literally see such extended distances. Absolutely unreal the minds that must work on and develop these kinds of things.

Very very exciting this.  Hope all goes well and that we don't have any issues like Hubble had once launched because its too far for astronauts to go fix.  I believe the testing of the sunshade for example has really added to the cost and time scale of this project because it has to go right first time.

Very exciting to see the launch date approaching for this project. 

Something quite wonderful about scientific discoveries in space. Suppose looking back to the origin of all things presents a slightly different dynamic to some sciences. Maybe it's just all the mysterious pictures :D.

2 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

It's actually incomprehensible to my mind how something can literally see such extended distances. Absolutely unreal the minds that must work on and develop these kinds of things.

What really can bake one noodle is the idea that as well as seeing that distance, we're also looking in time as well - seeing these objects as they existed x number of years ago because they are x light years away, because the light image from those objects has taken that long to reach us.

"All We Ever See of Stars Are Their Old Photographs."

2 hours ago, foxes1988 said:

Very very exciting this.  Hope all goes well and that we don't have any issues like Hubble had once launched because its too far for astronauts to go fix.  I believe the testing of the sunshade for example has really added to the cost and time scale of this project because it has to go right first time.

Perhaps by the time it might need maintenance, we will have the infrastructure in place to do so. Getting out there certainly should be a matter of priority.

2 hours ago, samlcfc said:

Very exciting to see the launch date approaching for this project. 

Something quite wonderful about scientific discoveries in space. Suppose looking back to the origin of all things presents a slightly different dynamic to some sciences. Maybe it's just all the mysterious pictures :D.

For me the most exciting part is being able to look at exoplanets and get a real, genuine idea of any of them might be habitable, or even contain life.

That might well be the most significant scientific discovery since... well, ever.

• Like 4

Exciting to think of the pictures it could take. I wonder if they'll do a Deep Field pic similar to Hubble's, to see if they can see any earlier galaxies. 

It's a shame its only pencilled in to last 10 years. Hopefully they can extend it. Stuff usually lasts longer than anticipated. 

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

For me the most exciting part is being able to look at exoplanets and get a real, genuine idea of any of them might be habitable, or even contain life.

That might well be the most significant scientific discovery since... well, ever.

Absolutely. Always been incredibly interested in the idea of life elsewhere in the universe.

Often said, kinda selfishly actually, that whether life exists out there is the one question I'd love to see answered during my lifetime. Awesome to think humans seem to be making pretty decent strides towards answering that question. Discovering even the most basic form of life beyond Earth would inspire expanding research.

With the advent of this sort of technology, who knows what we may spot using the various methods available for discovering exoplanets. 

14 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Exciting to think of the pictures it could take. I wonder if they'll do a Deep Field pic similar to Hubble's, to see if they can see any earlier galaxies. 

It's a shame its only pencilled in to last 10 years. Hopefully they can extend it. Stuff usually lasts longer than anticipated. 

My knowledge on the technology is minimal, but I'd imagine they'll have considered it's lifetime in relation to the emergence of further technology in due course, along with the expected development of projects probably already being discussed somewhere. 

Edited by samlcfc

20 minutes ago, samlcfc said:

Absolutely. Always been incredibly interested in the idea of life elsewhere in the universe.

Often said, kinda selfishly actually, that whether life exists out there is the one question I'd love to see answered during my lifetime. Awesome to think humans seem to be making pretty decent strides towards answering that question. Discovering even the most basic form of life beyond Earth would inspire expanding research.

With the advent of this sort of technology, who knows what we may spot using the various methods available for discovering exoplanets. 

My knowledge on the technology is minimal, but I'd imagine they'll have considered it's lifetime in relation to the emergence of further technology in due course, along with the expected development of projects probably already being discussed somewhere. 

I totally agree.

But a key part of that, which seems to be kept being put back, is a look for simple microbial life elsewhere in our own Solar System. Someone please build something capable of analysis and send it to Europa and/or Enceladus, please!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blabyboy said:

My Masters thesis was a proposal for a Europa lander using currently existing technology.

So many good ideas, but we need them to get further than the drawing board. Thankfully, at least the Clipper and JUICE are doing so. There's some duplication of effort there though, would have thought one better to be targeted at Saturn, the other at Jupiter.

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

My Masters thesis was a proposal for a Europa lander using currently existing technology.

So many good ideas, but we need them to get further than the drawing board. Thankfully, at least the Clipper and JUICE are doing so. There's some duplication of effort there though, would have thought one better to be targeted at Saturn, the other at Jupiter.

Yes, _but_ some duplication makes sense in case one of the missions fails en route. Better to get some info rather than none.

Happened to look up to the sky and saw a meteorite a little while ago. At least I assume that's what I saw.

It was in the northern sky around 19:15, it travelled fast, east to west and was visible for around 5 seconds.

Quite bright and became brighter before fragmenting into several pieces.

Probably not major enough to make the news but very much brighter than a typical 'shooting star' and definitely was not a firework.

• Like 1