Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finley Parsons

Leicester Tigers

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/06/2018 at 10:42, BenTheFox said:

Is O'Connor still there. If so how?

Yeah he is still there. His job was very much in doubt until Mark Bakewell (new forwards coach) came in and the team seemed to change and begin to win games and recover the season. Unfortunately they didn’t make the top 4 however, the togetherness and spirit came back into the team so it was likely he would remain which he did. Next season looks hopeful though as new signings look promising and after the disappointment the players expressed at the end of the season and the promise to perform next season makes the Tigers look like a potential title winning team next season.

1 hour ago, Finley Parsons said:

Yeah he is still there. His job was very much in doubt until Mark Bakewell (new forwards coach) came in and the team seemed to change and begin to win games and recover the season. Unfortunately they didn’t make the top 4 however, the togetherness and spirit came back into the team so it was likely he would remain which he did. Next season looks hopeful though as new signings look promising and after the disappointment the players expressed at the end of the season and the promise to perform next season makes the Tigers look like a potential title winning team next season.

They got a bounce from the forwards coach coming in but lost two very winnable home games in Northampton and Newcastle. I feel there was an element of papering over the cracks. I suppose it doesn't help that I straight up don't like the bloke, he's arrogant without having anything to back it up. 

23 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

They got a bounce from the forwards coach coming in but lost two very winnable home games in Northampton and Newcastle. I feel there was an element of papering over the cracks. I suppose it doesn't help that I straight up don't like the bloke, he's arrogant without having anything to back it up. 

I agree, they definitely should have won the Northampton game but the first few games show if he is the man for the job, if not he needs to go as we should be a title winning team

3 minutes ago, Finley Parsons said:

I agree, they definitely should have won the Northampton game but the first few games show if he is the man for the job, if not he needs to go as we should be a title winning team

At least a title challenging team. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/07/2018 at 14:42, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

I'm not convinces that Matt O' Connor is the right man for the job, but I am sure we will do better next season. Some excellent players coming in, but a few surprising late departures. W e could do with another full back, though.

Who are the late departures?

• 2 weeks later...

Matt Toomua has confirmed at the end of the 18/19 season he will leave tigers to go back to Australia and pursue a place for their World Cup squad in 2019.  Toomua was the best and most influential player last year as he provided the technicality to resurrect last season. He’s probably the best player in the tigers squad and will be a huge loss. However, today tigers also confirmed they have signed Kyle Eastmond to strengthen the backs. Toomua hopes to end his tigers journey successfully and with the squad looking strong and healthy they should be aiming for Top 2 and go on to win the Gallagher Premiership after last seasons dissapointment.

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

He's gone..today. Murphy taking over..just as a caretaker...

He was bad last season, but to leave after one game into the season is just incredible. They need to go out and find someone with a fresh outlook who doesn't know the club. It's been far too stale for a while. 

Absolutely agree that he has gone but wtf and who the fvck is making this descision to think the time is now after the first game..surely it was obvious long before the season started.

One of the most feared teams in European rugby reduced to a laughing stock over the past few seasons...sad.

3 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

He was bad last season, but to leave after one game into the season is just incredible. They need to go out and find someone with a fresh outlook who doesn't know the club. It's been far too stale for a while. 

1 hour ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Absolutely agree that he has gone but wtf and who the fvck is making this descision to think the time is now after the first game..surely it was obvious long before the season started.

One of the most feared teams in European rugby reduced to a laughing stock over the past few seasons...sad.

Very very sad day.....How could we crumble as a club,so seemingly easy....

his appointment was wrong from the start....

some of my long contacts to Leicester Rugby,have sadly passed away over the years.I have no idea which direction we are going,

the off field talismen,have dispeated...Murphy the only old school,that seems to be left....

I hope we can turn it around,or we will fall far off the premiership,with few hopes of any major surges....Godforbid!!!

• Like 1

1 game in... it's an absolute shambles!

This was the first game of the season with a few new players in, away against the 2nd best team in the country, and we were in the game at 14-6 down after an hour, so how can you make a decision that big on that?

It must be more about dressing-room and off the field issues.

But if that is the case, it must have been festering all of last season, which was the first time we'd missed the play-offs for a decade or so... So this decision should have been made at the end of last season giving the club the summer to make a new appointment.

If all it took was 1 game to tip the balance... it's an absolute shambles!

38 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

1 game in... it's an absolute shambles!

This was the first game of the season with a few new players in, away against the 2nd best team in the country, and we were in the game at 14-6 down after an hour, so how can you make a decision that big on that?

It must be more about dressing-room and off the field issues.

But if that is the case, it must have been festering all of last season, which was the first time we'd missed the play-offs for a decade or so... So this decision should have been made at the end of last season giving the club the summer to make a new appointment.

If all it took was 1 game to tip the balance... it's an absolute shambles!

Sounds like us in the 2007/8 season.

3 hours ago, davieG said:

Sounds like us in the 2007/8 season.

Not sure I'd agree...

Martin Allen may not have been the right appointment for Leicester City, but he had a good track record as an uncoming manager: they appointed him in the Summer, & gave him the opportunity to get players in, and once they realised he wasn't a good fit, they acted pretty quickly to get rid. Gary Megson did a pretty good job, but you wouldn't fault a manager for jumping up to the Premier League: it was just unfortunate. Although Holloway probably wasn't the right appointment either (but again his track record would have suggested he would have done the job of at least keeping them up), they again backed him with players in the January window and gave him the chance to the to the end of the season.

I'd agree 3 managers in a season sounds like a similar shambles, but at least with all 3 managers, I'd say the club hierarchy had sound reasons for appointing the managers and probably made the calls about removing the 2 they did (Allen and Holloway) at the right time. The Tigers knew perfectly well what they had in O'Connor, backed him over the most important time of the summer only to change their mind within a week.

Beside that, the Summer is even more important in rugby than in football: with players' contracts running from year to year and the salary cap in place, its a lot harder to change direction mid season than in football where you always have the January transfer window!

14 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

Not sure I'd agree...

Martin Allen may not have been the right appointment for Leicester City, but he had a good track record as an uncoming manager: they appointed him in the Summer, & gave him the opportunity to get players in, and once they realised he wasn't a good fit, they acted pretty quickly to get rid. Gary Megson did a pretty good job, but you wouldn't fault a manager for jumping up to the Premier League: it was just unfortunate. Although Holloway probably wasn't the right appointment either (but again his track record would have suggested he would have done the job of at least keeping them up), they again backed him with players in the January window and gave him the chance to the to the end of the season.

I'd agree 3 managers in a season sounds like a similar shambles, but at least with all 3 managers, I'd say the club hierarchy had sound reasons for appointing the managers and probably made the calls about removing the 2 they did (Allen and Holloway) at the right time. The Tigers knew perfectly well what they had in O'Connor, backed him over the most important time of the summer only to change their mind within a week.

Beside that, the Summer is even more important in rugby than in football: with players' contracts running from year to year and the salary cap in place, its a lot harder to change direction mid season than in football where you always have the January transfer window!

Sorry it wasn't  meant to be a serious comment.