Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finley Parsons

Leicester Tigers

4 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Not really a financially comparable sport at the higher echelons. But its attitudes/experiences like this you mention that worry me if say the Thais were to invest - its a different sport, I love and have played both sports but don't get the hate on both sides - find it a bit weird tbh!

Hate?

11 minutes ago, boots60 said:

After years of self satisfied smug remarks from (some) Tigers fans the club is up for sale for less than the value of one of our defenders!

I love Irony.

The irony is that your attitude is what feeds the minority of morons in their support base which is what supports silly views like yours which is what feeds...

You get the idea. There's muppets who like both just winding up the other. I've even heard people call City and Tigers rivals ffs. 

Always struck me as weird a person from Leicester not wanting the city to do well at sport even if you don't actually follow it. Idgaf about basketball or county cricket, I still like to see Leicester win. And I'm a ****ing Scarlets fan. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, boots60 said:

Hate?

Oh yeah - the disdain on both sides of the fence for each others game, the supporters etc its really quite weird - you only have to look at some of the threads on here for examples of our supporters having a go at Rugby and Tigers and their fans!

14 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Oh yeah - the disdain on both sides of the fence for each others game, the supporters etc its really quite weird - you only have to look at some of the threads on here for examples of our supporters having a go at Rugby and Tigers and their fans!

I think the rivalry is one of the strangest, but most interesting, in sport. A cross sport rivalry must be unique.

It's a mixture of city v county, working v middle class, glory hunters (tigers, of years gone by) v pessimists (city). 

I love it. Tigers fans laughing and jeering when the half times are read out and city are losing (though they don't read them out anymore)...Tigers fans cheering on the oppo in the pub for TV games.

I've tried for years to.like tigers, but just can't help disliking the wax jacketed welly wearing wankets

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

There are rumblings on Twitter (Stringer being the most prominent I saw) hinting that would be the Tigers first choice.

Can't see it myself. Rugby is a money pit at the minute. 

Wasps and Saracens haemorrhage money. 

But I suspect it's something KP woild at least look at as a viability study

17 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I think the rivalry is one of the strangest, but most interesting, in sport. A cross sport rivalry must be unique.

It's a mixture of city v county, working v middle class, glory hunters (tigers, of years gone by) v pessimists (city). 

I love it. Tigers fans laughing and jeering when the half times are read out and city are losing (though they don't read them out anymore)...Tigers fans cheering on the oppo in the pub for TV games.

I've tried for years to.like tigers, but just can't help disliking the wax jacketed welly wearing wankets

It’s funny that especially in Leicester, Rugby is seen as a middle class/upper class sport due to the Yummie Mummy, Private School association but in many towns and cities (take Northampton as a starter for ten) the supporters over 40 remember the sport and watched the game before even it was professionalised and certainly wouldn’t be a demographic which you’d describe as middle class. It’s because I would think of the success of the Tigers in the 90’s and early naughties skewered the attitudes and views on both sides.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Always struck me as weird a person from Leicester not wanting the city to do well at sport even if you don't actually follow it. Idgaf about basketball or county cricket, I still like to see Leicester win. And I'm a ****ing Scarlets fan. 

But that's it though. Tigers don't feel representative of the city, more of the county. 

As someone who played rugby as a child from a city background, I totally get why City fans dislike Tigers. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

But that's it though. Tigers don't feel representative of the city, more of the county. 

Having lived about an equally long time in both Rothley (about as middle class county Tory as you can get) and the West End of the City (definitely not middle class Tory!) I really don't make any massive distinction between the two. 

Shit loads of the county is nowhere near as posh as Western Park for example, for every Swithland and Woodhouse there's a Mountsorrel and Sileby. 

The people are all the same. Just people from the Midlands. 

Sitting in the White Horse in Broughton doesn't seem any different to sitting in the Western to me. Dunno. 

6 minutes ago, Gold Coast Fox said:

Any idea of the sort of price they'd be after?

60m.

Edited by Finnegan

6 minutes ago, pds said:

Find it really weird the number of born and bred Nottingham folk who support the Tigers. 

All the way up to Chesterfield you see them get off EMT.

The Nottingham thing is fully glory hunting as they have their own all be-it not as successful club.

Edited by SemperEadem

Anyone who doesn’t support & wish for a sport to go well in their local city needs to get there priorities right. Whether it’s football, rugby, cricket or even pis*ing hockey. I want all the sports in my city to be successful, if anything it puts us as a city more on the map. 

• Thanks 2

To be fair, I think it would be a realistic exercise for KP to look into possibly of buying the club.

With the new investment coming into Rugby also with the plans for the hotel alongside the ground this could be a sound investment for them.

Let's take into account the size of the Tigers fanbase, the clubs past success, in not only domestic honours but also european, this makes them a very attractive proposition.

What better way to add to the KP brand.

I know that at present the Tigers look to be struggling as regards the team at the moment, but look how we were when they took us over!

We know that our owners are very savvy business wise, so to me it would make sense to consider the idea.

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

All very true, now the tables have turned somewhat.

I don't mind Rugby Union, I don't mind the club Leicester Tigers, but I have to raise a smile when I recall what (some) of the egg chasers used to use, self righteously,as bait to wind up City fans.

Personally it is nothing whatsoever to do with the class thing, more of an attitude that you would never get from fans of other sports, cricket, basketball etc.

51 minutes ago, demon_dog said:

To be fair, I think it would be a realistic exercise for KP to look into possibly of buying the club.

With the new investment coming into Rugby also with the plans for the hotel alongside the ground this could be a sound investment for them.

It wouldn't. 

Saracens the most successful rugby club in Europe are losing money big time with their own stadium. 

2 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

All the way up to Chesterfield you see them get off EMT.

The Nottingham thing is fully glory hunting as they have their own all be-it not as successful club.

Yeah, remember being sat on the train with a bunch of their more moronic out-of-town element on the way back from Leicester once after one of their games. They were trying to claim their support for Tigers meant more than my support for City because they'd made the choice to support the team whereas I'd just been born in Leicester. Can't stand the "Tigers and Liverpool/Man United" types from Leicestershire either.

All that aside, anyone who thinks a team who play a different sport are our rivals is a fvcking weirdo. Though I do sometimes find myself wondering what kind of rivalry it'd be if Tigers were a football club, which parts of the city and county would support what team etc.

Always thought tigers / rugby crowd took themselves too seriously, as though they are in some kind of secret society that only the initiated could possibly understand. Certainly not riff raff like football fans.

Couldn't care less if they bulldozed the ground tomorrow. I'd like to see a nice big mosque there myself.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pds said:

Find it really weird the number of born and bred Nottingham folk who support the Tigers. 

The Tigers catchment area consists of the entire East Midlands and much of the west

They run buses from all over the shop and theirs always more Tigers fans on EMT services on their matchdays than City fans on ours

Their just a rugby team that happens to be based in Leicester 

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Having lived about an equally long time in both Rothley (about as middle class county Tory as you can get) and the West End of the City (definitely not middle class Tory!) I really don't make any massive distinction between the two. 

Shit loads of the county is nowhere near as posh as Western Park for example, for every Swithland and Woodhouse there's a Mountsorrel and Sileby. 

The people are all the same. Just people from the Midlands. 

Sitting in the White Horse in Broughton doesn't seem any different to sitting in the Western to me. Dunno. 

Beg to differ, the places you've mentioned don't have rugby clubs based there, so I'd say the feeling isn't the same. Western Park....really it's a single road and a section of road which has anything defined as 'posh', it quickly leads into New Parks and Braunstone on either side of it. 

Syston, Hinckley, Lutterworth, Market Bosworth, Melton, Oakham - towns with large rugby teams and representative of rugby better than football attitude. 

Guest MattP
4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It's not a rivalry. 

It's a small minority of morons on both sides that don't really like the others sport and are desperate to make some sort of class thing out of it. 

The vast majority of Tigers fans I know either support City, simply aren't fussed or at least want them to to well and visa versa. 

Definitely my experience as well these days. 

It wasn't like that in the mid/late 90's though - I was surprised and bemused to hear how loud the cheer was at Welford Rd as a kid when they announced we had lost over the tannoy, it did always stick with me.

Bringing football into the middle classes was probably what ended it as it became socially acceptable to like it, talk about it and watch it in the pub.