Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

1 minute ago, Buce said:

Sounds like someone isn't getting any.

True. On the rarest of occasions I have, I haven't enjoyed it anyway. People obsess about it far too much.

25 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

It can be hard to trust people in general.

It would be unwise to trust people in general. But we trust specific people, not people in general, don't we?

Depends how much is at stake, though. I'd lend anyone £1 as I'd not lose much if they proved untrustworthy, whereas I'd obviously only lend £1000 to a select few. 

22 minutes ago, Buce said:

The only person you can really trust is yourself.

Do you really feel that, Buce? You don't/didn't really trust your partner, parents or any of your friends?

I know sometimes people can surprise us and let us down, but I'd hate not to be able to trust anyone else - and have rarely been let down by the people I trusted the most.

p.s. Can you lend me your Led Zep vinyl? You can trust me not to scratch it.... :whistle:

• Like 1

Linking to Carl's post about awful parents whinging about them; KFC is the worst fast food of the lot, as both a lazy bastard and a student I'm prone to eating shite but really don't enjoy KFC. If I'm gonna eat fried greasy food of that ilk it's a Big Mac or a Subway.

"Let's all get paid the same" does my head in.

The more influx you generate, The bigger slice of the pie you will get. If an employee is generating millions and millions of pounds for the company, the same money that will be used to pay cleaners and maintenance workers. How do you want to pay an employee the same as the other employee who helped pay his salary?

It's just simple economics!

Edited by the fox
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Linking to Carl's post about awful parents whinging about them; KFC is the worst fast food of the lot, as both a lazy bastard and a student I'm prone to eating shite but really don't enjoy KFC. If I'm gonna eat fried greasy food of that ilk it's a Big Mac or a Subway.

KFC is fantastic. It's not nutritious but at least you feel like you've had a meal after. Big Mac is just like everything else at McDonalds, low quality not-quite-meat pumped full of air and salt. No other food gives me hiccups except for McDonalds

Subway's good but it's a sandwich, if they did chips they'd be really onto something

2 hours ago, shanetko said:

Sex is mostly shit and is definitely overrated.

Definitely. Especially since the wife had our two kids.

It’s like waving a pencil in the Albert Hall now...

1 hour ago, Buce said:

The only person you can really trust is yourself.

And me.

11 minutes ago, the fox said:

"Let's all get paid the same" does my head in.

The more influx you generate, The bigger slice of the pie you will get. If an employee is generating millions and millions of pounds for the company, the same money that will be used to pay cleaners and maintenance workers. How do you want to pay an employee the same as the other employee who helped pay his salary?

It's just simple economics!

That would certainly be "simple" economics being as so many things are interconnected allowing that person to "generate millions and millions of pounds for the company". I'd imagine without the work of the cleaners and the maintenance staff the employee wouldn't earn that amount of money and quite possibly nothing at all (if for example the maintenance people didn't maintain the electricity for his computer or something simple. Anyway how many people do you know who  "generate millions and millions of pounds for the company" ? I don't think I've ever met one even though I've known thousands of high positioned corporates, politicians etc.. Then again I've never met Riyad Mahrez - I guess he could be one. Also if the person "generate millions and millions of pounds for the company" then surely it's the owner or shareholders who get the money (for doing something else) and not the worker themself.

I understand your position but that is why mine is in the "unpopular opinions" thread. I believe an hour of my life is as valuable as an hour of anyone else's life in financial terms and obviously far more valuable to me personally.

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Do you really feel that, Buce? You don't/didn't really trust your partner, parents or any of your friends?

There are varying degrees of trust and, of course, I give it to various people in most things. But I wouldn't trust anybody unconditionally in all circumstances, no.

I know sometimes people can surprise us and let us down, but I'd hate not to be able to trust anyone else - and have rarely been let down by the people I trusted the most.

That makes my point really - rarely isn't always.

p.s. Can you lend me your Led Zep vinyl? You can trust me not to scratch it.... :whistle:

Vinyl? :blink:

I might be an old git, Alf, but I have never understood people who still play music on vinyl when there are much better modern alternatives.

28 minutes ago, FIF said:

That would certainly be "simple" economics being as so many things are interconnected allowing that person to "generate millions and millions of pounds for the company". I'd imagine without the work of the cleaners and the maintenance staff the employee wouldn't earn that amount of money and quite possibly nothing at all (if for example the maintenance people didn't maintain the electricity for his computer or something simple. Anyway how many people do you know who  "generate millions and millions of pounds for the company" ? I don't think I've ever met one even though I've known thousands of high positioned corporates, politicians etc.. Then again I've never met Riyad Mahrez - I guess he could be one. Also if the person "generate millions and millions of pounds for the company" then surely it's the owner or shareholders who get the money (for doing something else) and not the worker themself.

I understand your position but that is why mine is in the "unpopular opinions" thread. I believe an hour of my life is as valuable as an hour of anyone else's life in financial terms and obviously far more valuable to me personally.

That's just a flawed argument. Might as well pay the guy who sold a hot cup of coffee to the man who just signed a 100 million pound deal the same because he provided a boost to his physical state. Or, just pay the guy who manifactures tires the same as the engineer who made the high-tech engine.

So, an hour of your working time is worth the same as a surgeon saving a life or a guy making a cure for cancer? 

Think it's a pillar of capitalism. Force people to provide better output and they will get a bigger stake. It creates a better product.

Just ask yourself, if you had two peoples selling apples, one has amazing apples and the other has old, semi-rotten ones, would you pay the same amount for both? And if you do, what will the guy how's selling those great apples say? "might as well sell rotten apples because it's the same profit anyways". And what does that leave you? whith a batch of bad apples because you didn't reward the guy with the better product.

Edited by the fox
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Definitely. Especially since the wife had our two kids.

It’s like waving a pencil in the Albert Hall now...

Maybe that says more about your pencil than her Albert Hall, Izzy. ;)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Buce said:

That makes my point really - rarely isn't always.

So, is that why you don't believe in god, buce? Is it because the world isn't all sunshine an rainbows? Shit happens. or is it your inability to trust anyone unconditionally other than yourself? if you don't mind me asking, mate. :thumbup: just asking here, not trying to offend you or anything :)

Edited by the fox

1 minute ago, the fox said:

So, is that why you don't believe in god, buce? Is it because the world isn't all sunshine an rainbows? Shit happens. or is it your inability to trust anyone unconditionally other than yourself? if you don't mind me asking, mate. :thumbup: just asking here, not trying to offend you or anything :)

No, I don't believe in God because I have never seen any evidence to suggest that I should.

No offence here either, but your belief is purely an act of faith in a book that was allegedly written by a self-proclaimed prophet.