Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

1 hour ago, Colourmy said:

I'm getting it perfectly. I'm using what we have now to work with, not something you are getting from your Flash Gordon box set!

What robot cleans under the stairs at schools? Which machine digs trenches and foundations and isn't operated by a human? Which robot is delivering the milk in the morning?

I do wonder sometimes what people's perception of reality is at times!

I wouldn't be so quick to knock someone who views the world as it can be rather than what it is - yeah, 99 times out of 100 such ideas are pie in the sky but then on the hundredth you end up with the first reasonably efficient electric cars, a massively more efficient solar panel system and a space launch system cheaper by an order of magnitude than anything on the market and improving - all out of the head of one guy.

Unpopular opinion based on this: what most people think of as "reality" is totally subjective and can be changed, and it is in no way fixed or immutable, even though it might please people to think so.

NB: I'll stick my neck out (again) and say that there are robotics at least capable of doing all three of the tasks mentioned here (at least to a basic capacity) within the next three decades.

6 hours ago, Wookie said:

Chines food is alright, nothing special. Indian is the far superior takeaway.

You surely appreciate that Chinese cuisine is slightly more involved that chicken fired rice and sweet and sour pork balls?

2 hours ago, Marmite said:

1. We are all brain washed by the media and they make you believe what they want you too. 

2. The government do not want you to live to retirement age hence why they have increased it. 

3. Religion is the biggest money making scam in the world 

No i think you've misunderstood... This is  the "UNpopular opinions" thread... not the "Facts" thread. :) 

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Colourmy said:

I'm getting it perfectly. I'm using what we have now to work with, not something you are getting from your Flash Gordon box set!

What robot cleans under the stairs at schools? Which machine digs trenches and foundations and isn't operated by a human? Which robot is delivering the milk in the morning?

I do wonder sometimes what people's perception of reality is at times!

I don't think you are getting it. I don't think you understand what we have now or you are unable to extrapolate into the future. We have machines that can do almost anything, we already have independant robots - we have a robot on mars, we have cars, buses and planes which actually drive themselves on the roads (in the sky) at this moment, today. By the way I don't need the Flash gordon box set I saw the series on TV in B&W in my youth and watched the film with the Queen soundtrack at the cinema but as I'm sure you are aware it was a space opera based on a comic from the 30's and had very little comment on robots or AI, you could have chosen better - after all Arthur C Clarke novels for example.

We have cleaning robots already - you can even have one in your house. It isn't much of a fantasy to envision one cleaning under the stairs in schools, We have robotic trench diggers under the ocean and man has been replaced as a trench digger on land for decades. It really wouldn't be a leap at all to have the digging machines run by AI instead of men - the AI needed isn't even as complex as that for cars which we already have. The only reason it isn't in place yet is because human labour is cheap and there isn't a need for it. Delivering the milk in the morning!!! What century are you living in? The days of Kirby and West and the Coop fighting for doorstep milk deliveries ended in the last century. How many people actually have milk delivered to their doorstep now?  But whatever, pretty simple for a machine to load an automatic truck, which drives to your building and offloads there.

It wasn't long ago that people were saying horses (and oxen before them) will never be replaced as the engine on farms or to pull boats or to move people the great distances from village to town. In my own life I've seen technological advances that would have been regarded as magic only a 100 years ago.You are underestimating human scientific and technological advance.

Reality is a completely alternative subject but as AI explodes in the next 20 years all of these things you see as beyond your mind's capability will be commonplace. The U.K. in 50 years will be as different to now as England in the dark ages is compared to now. - my unpopular opinion of the day.

11 minutes ago, FIF said:

I don't think you are getting it. I don't think you understand what we have now or you are unable to extrapolate into the future. We have machines that can do almost anything, we already have independant robots - we have a robot on mars, we have cars, buses and planes which actually drive themselves on the roads (in the sky) at this moment, today. By the way I don't need the Flash gordon box set I saw the series on TV in B&W in my youth and watched the film with the Queen soundtrack at the cinema but as I'm sure you are aware it was a space opera based on a comic from the 30's and had very little comment on robots or AI, you could have chosen better - after all Arthur C Clarke novels for example.

We have cleaning robots already - you can even have one in your house. It isn't much of a fantasy to envision one cleaning under the stairs in schools, We have robotic trench diggers under the ocean and man has been replaced as a trench digger on land for decades. It really wouldn't be a leap at all to have the digging machines run by AI instead of men - the AI needed isn't even as complex as that for cars which we already have. The only reason it isn't in place yet is because human labour is cheap and there isn't a need for it. Delivering the milk in the morning!!! What century are you living in? The days of Kirby and West and the Coop fighting for doorstep milk deliveries ended in the last century. How many people actually have milk delivered to their doorstep now?  But whatever, pretty simple for a machine to load an automatic truck, which drives to your building and offloads there.

It wasn't long ago that people were saying horses (and oxen before them) will never be replaced as the engine on farms or to pull boats or to move people the great distances from village to town. In my own life I've seen technological advances that would have been regarded as magic only a 100 years ago.You are underestimating human scientific and technological advance.

Reality is a completely alternative subject but as AI explodes in the next 20 years all of these things you see as beyond your mind's capability will be commonplace. The U.K. in 50 years will be as different to now as England in the dark ages is compared to now. - my unpopular opinion of the day.

Well said FIF ...   are you a robot ? ...   :)

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Well said FIF ...   are you a sex robot ? ...   :)

Why? Do I interest you? :unsure::P

And before you say anything Colourmy, sex robots will definitely be available, probably one of the first "customer relations" robots to be mass produced. 

8 minutes ago, FIF said:

Why? Do I interest you? :unsure::P

And before you say anything Colourmy, sex robots will definitely be available, probably one of the first "customer relations" robots to be mass produced. 

Noooooo !!!!

And I think you've shut colour-my-whatever up ...   (just a couple of hundred fanboys now and its mission accomplished !) ...   :thumbup:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, FIF said:

Agree almost totally, FIF, but surely you meant to say, Isaac Asimov?

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

Agree almost totally, FIF, but surely you meant to say, Isaac Asimov?

I could have but I went for the British option particularly because he wrote about satellites before they were invented and then went on to get them up into space. Who could have imagined that 15 years before his birth when no plane had even flown in the sky? Anyone would think Amazon will be delivering by drone in 50 years time. 

16 minutes ago, FIF said:

I could have but I went for the British option particularly because he wrote about satellites before they were invented and then went on to get them up into space. Who could have imagined that 15 years before his birth when no plane had even flown in the sky? Anyone would think Amazon will be delivering by drone in 50 years time. 

Asimov was arguably the father of robotics, though.

10 hours ago, Wookie said:

Chines food is alright, nothing special. Indian is the far superior takeaway.

If we're talking about good restaurants, not stodgy stuff from supermarkets or takeaways, I prefer Chinese, Korean or Japanese over Indian. It's a little lighter, goes better with beer or wine, doesn't make me feel like I'm going to give birth for the next few hours. 

In general there are so many bad Chinese and Indian restaurants about. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, woollett the bullet said:

Bohemian rhapsody is THE most hideous piece of shite ever released.

There said it !!

Right who's gonna be first ?

Form an orderly queue please folks

I've said the same thing before. Queen are probably in my top 3 favourite bands but that song is overrated, overplayed nonsense

7 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

I've said the same thing before. Queen are probably in my top 3 favourite bands but that song is overrated, overplayed nonsense

Also to be filed under "overrated, overplayed nonsense": Stairway to Heaven, House of the Rising Sun, Hotel California, Whiter Shade of Pale, Nights in White Satin & Smoke on the Water

At least Bohemian Rhapsody offers a bit of silly melodramatic fun, unlike the aforementioned series of dire, droning dirges....the epitome of fun-free pomposity.

Let the wrath of the prog/pomp rockers descend upon me. :D

• Like 1

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

Also to be filed under "overrated, overplayed nonsense": Stairway to Heaven, House of the Rising Sun, Hotel California, Whiter Shade of Pale, Nights in White Satin & Smoke on the Water

At least Bohemian Rhapsody offers a bit of silly melodramatic fun, unlike the aforementioned series of dire, droning dirges....the epitome of fun-free pomposity.

Let the wrath of the prog/pomp rockers descend upon me. :D

I never took you to be a Philistine, Alf.

I'll give you Hotel California, maybe Smoke on the Water, and that's it.