Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

21 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Only if its around or above 20 degrees and the people in charge of the food actually know what they are doing.

Sadly at the majority of bbqs burgers and sausages are burnt on the outside and raw on the inside and involve t shirt drinking outside in 10 degree conditions.

you need to get some better mates/go to better bbqs imho 

can cook any food you want on a bbq, get a firepit etc for slightly cooler conditions and get drunk and eat loads of meat. what could be better. 

only downside is that if you go out after a bbq you need a shower in between or you smell like you've literally been cooked on the bbq. 

• Like 1

I've always been a breakfast, dinner, tea kinda guy but here down south everyone seems to call it lunch (although the school call it school dinners :dunno:)

I'm starting to wonder if we're straying into hot/cold territory here?

Dinner to me means a hot meal whereas lunch is more like a salad or a sarnie (something cold like a 'packed lunch')

You catch my drift?

12 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's still wrong. You have dinner after 5pm and no sooner. 

I agree, but that is a subjective opinion that reflects on our similar backgrounds and social status.

The dictionary definition of 'dinner' is the main meal of the day, whether that be at noon or in the evening:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinner

School "dinner" is a misnomer. It's lunch. 

See above.

Edit: and class has nothing to do with using the wrong vocabulary. 

Class has everything to do with it, along with geographical location and economics:

https://www.them-apples.co.uk/2011/06/do-you-eat-dinner-or-tea-or-lunch/

We have already established that it is not the 'wrong' vocabulary, only from your subjective viewpoint.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I've always been a breakfast, dinner, tea kinda guy but here down south everyone seems to call it lunch (although the school call it school dinners :dunno:)

I'm starting to wonder if we're straying into hot/cold territory here?

Dinner to me means a hot meal whereas lunch is more like a salad or a sarnie (something cold like a 'packed lunch')

You catch my drift?

As I quoted to Finners, 'dinner' references the main meal of the day, which may be the case if taken at school. A 'packed lunch' is more likely to be a sandwich and a bag of crisps, in my experience, so possibly is more accurately referenced as 'lunch' (ie not the main meal).

But as I also pointed out in my previous post, social class, geographical origins, and economics also have a bearing on the terminology used.

4 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

nobody has supper in the 21st century ffs. freaks. 

They do and it can vary as to what, mostly it's basically a glorified pudding for me a couple of hours after dinner, something like Rice Pudding with Jam, maybe Custard, some soup and bread, sometimes it can be a sandwich or a few sausage rolls.

Edited by MattP

Just now, MattP said:

They do and it can vary as to what, mostly it's basically a glorified pudding for me a couple of hours after dinner, something like Rice Pudding with Jam, maybe Custard, sometimes it can be a sandwich or a few sausage rolls.

that’s not supper tho really that’s just being hungry watching the tele? 

Just now, ScouseFox said:

that’s not supper tho really that’s just being hungry watching the tele? 

Pretty much. Acceptable to eat supper watching the TV as well.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Pretty much. Acceptable to eat supper watching the TV as well.

yeah we ain’t calling that supper are we?

as in i’ll have a cup of tea an a kit kat or something when i get home from a later shift, wouldn’t ring my housemate on the way home from work an ask them to cook me some supper tho 

58 minutes ago, Buce said:

Have you never heard working class kids speak of their 'dinner money'? Have you never heard school meals referenced as 'school dinners'?

http://www.dolce.co.uk/catering/menus

Don't you work for the council, Finners? https://www.leicester.gov.uk/schools-and-learning/school-and-colleges/school-dinners/

http://www.stimpsonavenueacademy.org/information/school-dinners.php

Tbf yeah school dinner and dinner money are a thing, but I'd still call the meal itself lunch and use those terms in isolation. Hadn't thought of that though, cheers.

1 minute ago, ScouseFox said:

yeah we ain’t calling that supper are we?

as in i’ll have a cup of tea an a kit kat or something when i get home from a later shift, wouldn’t ring my housemate on the way home from work an ask them to cook me some supper tho 

Can't classify a Kit Kat as it, that's a snack. I think cutlery has to be used to make it a supper, but it can be anything really that's classed as a light meal.

supper
ˈsʌpə/
noun
noun: supper; plural noun: suppers
  1. an evening meal, typically a light or informal one.
    "we had a delicious cold supper"

28 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

you need to get some better mates/go to better bbqs imho 

can cook any food you want on a bbq, get a firepit etc for slightly cooler conditions and get drunk and eat loads of meat. what could be better. 

only downside is that if you go out after a bbq you need a shower in between or you smell like you've literally been cooked on the bbq. 

Hmm been to loads in my lifetime and your first point isnt really the issue.

Standing around a bbq with 10 guys pretending to know how to cook decent meat whilst having a 'who's the biggest alpha' competition doesnt really do it for me but each to their own I guess.

Breakfast, lunch, dinner. Lunch can be the biggest meal of the day, hell even breakfast can be, but dinner is the last proper meal.

Brunch and supper optional. If you've had dinner, gone out and come back with a pizza/takeaway then that's "2nd dinner" as it's too substantial for supper territory.

"Tea" is not a meal unless it's scones and clotted cream.

Barbecues are the greatest, even if someone's ballsed up the meat (slap them and take over chef duties) then you've got the Pringles, marshmallows and drink

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Buce said:

I agree, but that is a subjective opinion that reflects on our similar backgrounds and social status.

The dictionary definition of 'dinner' is the main meal of the day, whether that be at noon or in the evening:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinner

See above.

Class has everything to do with it, along with geographical location and economics:

https://www.them-apples.co.uk/2011/06/do-you-eat-dinner-or-tea-or-lunch/

We have already established that it is not the 'wrong' vocabulary, only from your subjective viewpoint.

(can't help but think you're taking me a bit more seriously than you should be) 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

(can't help but think you're taking me a bit more seriously than you should be) 

Not at all, mate. lol

Language, etymology of words and phrases etc is my 'thing' - I'll happily discuss the finer points till the cows come home*.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/382900.html *   :D           

Edited by Buce

41 minutes ago, MattP said:

Can't classify a Kit Kat as it, that's a snack. I think cutlery has to be used to make it a supper, but it can be anything really that's classed as a light meal.

supper
ˈsʌpə/
noun
noun: supper; plural noun: suppers
  1. an evening meal, typically a light or informal one.
    "we had a delicious cold supper"

Supper is something the Famous Five would have.