Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

Breakfast then dinner then tea. I think it actually boils down to school meals and how privileged you were. If your hot meal was at school it was called dinner. And if you couldn’t afford an evening meal and had sandwiches it was called tea.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Breakfast then dinner then tea. I think it actually boils down to school meals and how privileged you were. If your hot meal was at school it was called dinner. And if you couldn’t afford an evening meal and had sandwiches it was called tea.

When we were kids we would have soup for tea quite often, I didn’t know it at the time but it was probably because we were poor or my dad was tight.

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

When we were kids we would have soup for tea quite often, I didn’t know it at the time but it was probably because we were poor or my dad was tight.

Soup! ya daant nar ya born kiddo. When I wer lad we licked dew off the outside dunny...if we were lucky!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Wookie said:

Can of worms this

What? Supper? Dinner? or Lunch?

I'm in complete agreement with Buce here. It's a social thing. My parents were lower working class - moving upwards - we had Breakfast, Dinner, Tea  (then my dad had supper). As they moved into higher working class the principal meal of the day moved into the evening. When I married my wife, we (middle class) had breakfast, lunch, dinner apart from Sunday when we had breakfast, dinner (prinipal meal), tea. We occasionally had supper late in the evening.

7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

The idea of the "rags-to-riches" dream and that hard work will eventually pay off and make you rich doesn't happen nearly often enough in real life to be held up on a pedestal the way it is, and as such it is damaging.

For every one of those stories that come true, there are a hundred thousand stories of those who work just as hard and get zilch as a reward.

If hard work is what makes one rich and not working hard is what leads to poverty, then migrant farmworkers would be millionaires and the woman who owns Grumpy Cat would be pulling two jobs just to make ends meet.

It’s not about working hard anymore, it’s about working smart...

5 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

It’s not about working hard anymore, it’s about working smart...

Possibly, think it all works out the same in the end though. Luck is the biggest factor.

Also:

No, you're not going to get rich. It does happen to some people, but it's damn unlikely to ever happen to you (generic you). So if your issue stands are predicated on the possibility that you'll strike it rich someday, well...good luck with that. You'll need it. A lot of it.

Edit: Oh, and connections, too.

Edited by leicsmac

6 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Possibly, think it all works out the same in the end though. Luck is the biggest factor.

Also:

No, you're not going to get rich. It does happen to some people, but it's damn unlikely to ever happen to you (generic you). So if your issue stands are predicated on the possibility that you'll strike it rich someday, well...good luck with that. You'll need it. A lot of it.

Edit: Oh, and connections, too.

Some would say you make your own luck...

And anyone can make connections if they can be bothered to...

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

Some would say you make your own luck...

And anyone can make connections if they can be bothered to...

The people who say that are often the ones who have made it, don't acknowledge their own luck in doing so, nor take account of those who worked just as hard as they for much less reward IMO.

Getting into the right circles to boost your chances takes a bit more than just effort, too.

I'm not saying aspiration or working hard is a useless thing btw - just that it has much less effect on success than those who trumpet it would have you think.

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

The people who say that are often the ones who have made it, don't acknowledge their own luck in doing so, nor take account of those who worked just as hard as they for much less reward IMO.

Getting into the right circles to boost your chances takes a bit more than just effort, too.

I'm not saying aspiration or working hard is a useless thing btw - just that it has much less effect on success than those who trumpet it would have you think.

Well if it’s all about luck, then good luck to the lucky ones I say. 

No one ever said life was fair and it’s a fvcked up world we live in for sure. I’ve had loads of ‘bad luck’ in my life health wise, yet I see people abuse their bodies to the max and never get ill. But thems the cards we’re dealt.

Maybe the ‘unlucky’ ones in this life get all the luck in the next life - and visa versa. Who knows...

• Like 1