Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AjcW

Football Manager 2018

My bone of contention with these games is that i see people develop outrageous tactics on the game and have amazing success with stupid formations like 3-7-0 or 3-1-2-1-2-1 etc. Formations that could never win an actual game of football.

It makes me think success at the game is people who can crack the games AI and exploit the programmming rather than their actual knowledge as managers.

Getting your ideas into "football manager" language is also a complete pain in the arse. 

Every player should be a blank canvas to tell them to do what you want. The game doesnt understand what you want to do half the time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lestoh1 said:

My bone of contention with these games is that i see people develop outrageous tactics on the game and have amazing success with stupid formations like 3-7-0 or 3-1-2-1-2-1 etc. Formations that could never win an actual game of football.

Strikerless tactics seem cause the AI trouble especially however the game has improved significantly in this regard.

I'm a bit unsure about the new dynamics thing. It's probably great for the full fat game but I hope it's not overdone in the Touch version. Because it seems like it might be the kind of fluff which suddenly causes my team to be shit just because my new defender is a bellend.

It looks like it could be the sort of thing that brings very little pleasure when you get it right, but punishes you very hard when you get it wrong.

13 hours ago, Lestoh1 said:

It makes me think success at the game is people who can crack the games AI and exploit the programmming rather than their actual knowledge as managers.

Getting your ideas into "football manager" language is also a complete pain in the arse. 

Every player should be a blank canvas to tell them to do what you want. The game doesnt understand what you want to do half the time

This is something I've tried to coach in to people before that are appalling at football Manager - stop applying real world logic to your tactics. 

Learn to be good at Football Manager, not good at football management. 

My most effective ever formations were a 421111 and a 42112 asymmetric. I could still draw them out for you now and explain how they worked. 

The thing is, you COULD translate them in to 433 and 451 respectively but sometimes in order to replicate the way a team really plays you won't use a direct template of their supposed system. 

So, if I were to recreate Leicester in FM it wouldn't actually be in 442.

Dynamics sounds like it could be annoying. I can imagine being on a decent run, then my top scorer telling me he doesn't like the right back and wants to leave.

I hope you get the opportunity to dish out a proper bollocking on this one (something that's been sadly lacking from previous editions). 

7 hours ago, Ricey said:

Dynamics is a nice graphical method of displaying what was pretty much going on under the hood anyway.

Do not assume it’ll just mean more unhappy players.

That's actually pretty reassuring Ricey. The video seemed to imply it was a whole new layer.

11 hours ago, Ricey said:

Dynamics is a nice graphical method of displaying what was pretty much going on under the hood anyway.

Yeah that's good to hear. I did wonder if it would be a massive change on previous (happiness ratings etc). It seemed like it might just make the game more prone to player tantrums (which, i s'pose, is pretty much like real life).

It'd be good if (as the vid suggests) you'll be able to achieve more with good team spirit. Never noticed that really making a big difference before.

16 hours ago, Ricey said:

Was just about to say this... it's basically a better way of managing things rather than occasional team meetings or chats with players.

I actually think it'll make keeping squads harmonious easier as you'll be able to strategically place the bad eggs in the bottom group meaning you can work on shifting them out without it affecting the entire squad.

Would the game not be better if all the roles were removed?

Finnegan i agree with you about treating the game and real life seperately but in real life you just have players. You dont tell someone "today youre my eganche"

Hes a player in a position. I think it would be better if you can put him on the field and say do this this and this. No preset stuff.

Also, change the mentalities. They dont make sense because counter is a possession mentality and control is direct. Swap them around or better still dont have them just manually change the tempo passing and defensive line.

Also results are too predictable. Shouldnt go into a game knowing youll draw or know how game will go. I could tell you with 90% certainty when a penalty will be missed....usually if against the run of play itll be missed. Got to cut that out.

Only my opinion blatantly gonna get slated now

22 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I've always been the Nigel Pearson of FM, I don't sign anyone unless they're professional and determined so I've never really had personality problems. I assume I wouldn't in future. 

Pretty much exactly this lol best way to do it.

Just seen the fm18 tactics screen pn youtube and looks way way better.

Previous editions were absolute rubbish. Whether you were good at the game or not was irrelevant, tactics were rubbish.

This looks so much more intuitive and true to real football. The roles look more in depth to give specific instructions to players and its easier to see the relationships they develop on the pitch.

Love the idea of the more specific pre game team talk IF it has the desired effect in the games.

Great work

On 10/10/2017 at 15:30, Finnegan said:

I've always been the Nigel Pearson of FM, I don't sign anyone unless they're professional and determined so I've never really had personality problems. I assume I wouldn't in future. 

Players with the determined personality have a really wide range for professionalism so they're still nobs sometimes. Fairly professional, Professional and resolute are al have at least 14 for professionalism I think.

3 hours ago, somebum said:

Game lost its way ten years ago. Would have thought fans of the series would have grown up by now but seemingly not

It's one of a kind! I honestly wouldn't care if they only made one change every year and still charged me £28 i'd pay it.

I get more game-play out of it than people who obsess over console games will ever get.

I'll never understand how it works and how every save I play can be completely different, even when the game crashes and you lose a week that week is completely unique when you load it up and play it again.

All FIFA have to do is make someone look more realistic every year and everyone wanks themselves into oblivion. Madness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

It's one of a kind! I honestly wouldn't care if they only made one change every year and still charged me £28 i'd pay it.

I get more game-play out of it than people who obsess over console games will ever get.

I'll never understand how it works and how every save I play can be completely different, even when the game crashes and you lose a week that week is completely unique when you load it up and play it again.

All FIFA have to do is make someone look more realistic every year and everyone wanks themselves into oblivion. Madness.

One born every minute then on any platform I guess

6 hours ago, somebum said:

Game lost its way ten years ago. Would have thought fans of the series would have grown up by now but seemingly not

If it's not your cup of tea, then fine. The game is definatley better year on year. Not perfect, for some. But for the majority of players it provides great enjoyment.

It is laughable to suggest the game "lost its way"

• Like 1