Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AjcW

Football Manager 2018

Taken the reigns of Hartlepool in the Conference - favourites for promotion.

Got 7 games into the season, record of 3,3,1 - meaning I sit inside top 6 at this stage.

Attempted to create a Leicester style 4-4-2 formation given the quality rightsided winger (Franks) I have for that level. So it wasn’t a bugger when both him and my left wingback (key parts of the tactic) both got injured just before the start of things proper. 

Things don’t appear too different from the last FM I played (2016). Seems they’ve adopted a bit of a FIFA ultimate team idea, but that was possibly always in the match engine just hidden. Still feels a bit of a faff setting things up, for no discernable benefit.

Anyone having problems in match? I usually have the match settings on only commentary, no replays, speed as quick as possible. So if there is nothing happening in the match the game skips time, then games can be done in 2-3mins. Despite all the settings the same as previous games I am getting commentary for the entire match, so a lot of pointless info

25 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

You don’t actually play in it though do you? 

I also believe that you can’t enter the Champions League, should you win the Swiss top division. 

Well I think we're capable of going about as far as the 3rd quali round right now. I have the Luxembourg champs in the 1st round and then VPS (Finland) or Domzale (Slovenia) in the 2nd round if I get there which i'm pleasantly surprised about. The squad is better than I thought it would be, if real life is anything to go by it won't be easy going up straight away. I go into the L'stein Cup in October straight into the Quarter finals with the Semis and Final in April/May which is annoying. I can't see the list of teams that compete in it but if the injury table is an indication, my u21's and u18's are also in the cup ffs lol There are 7 different teams but with all of their u21's and mine and anothers u18's it takes it up to 16 in total. Mind boggling lol

From what i've read we can only enter the CL by winning the Europa League. I don't really know how this is gonna go because it took me nearly 20 years to win the Europa League with the best team in the Czech Republic and they're a darn sight better than Vaduz. I have 275 international caps throughout my team lol I doubt many would actually be produced but it would be an idea to keep an eye on any/all Liechtenstein regens coming through not just at this club but any Swiss/L'stein/lesser club than us and hoping they turn into something special. They're probably 90% likely to represent Liechtenstein is some level internationally lol I have what tbf looks a decent prospect at LB, i've got better than him at the club but he's already got 8 caps for L'stein at 19yo

Maybe @MC Prussian could clarify (probably again)

5 hours ago, Walkers said:

Well I think we're capable of going about as far as the 3rd quali round right now. I have the Luxembourg champs in the 1st round and then VPS (Finland) or Domzale (Slovenia) in the 2nd round if I get there which i'm pleasantly surprised about. The squad is better than I thought it would be, if real life is anything to go by it won't be easy going up straight away. I go into the L'stein Cup in October straight into the Quarter finals with the Semis and Final in April/May which is annoying. I can't see the list of teams that compete in it but if the injury table is an indication, my u21's and u18's are also in the cup ffs lol There are 7 different teams but with all of their u21's and mine and anothers u18's it takes it up to 16 in total. Mind boggling lol

From what i've read we can only enter the CL by winning the Europa League. I don't really know how this is gonna go because it took me nearly 20 years to win the Europa League with the best team in the Czech Republic and they're a darn sight better than Vaduz. I have 275 international caps throughout my team lol I doubt many would actually be produced but it would be an idea to keep an eye on any/all Liechtenstein regens coming through not just at this club but any Swiss/L'stein/lesser club than us and hoping they turn into something special. They're probably 90% likely to represent Liechtenstein is some level internationally lol I have what tbf looks a decent prospect at LB, i've got better than him at the club but he's already got 8 caps for L'stein at 19yo

Maybe @MC Prussian could clarify (probably again)

The Liechtenstein Cup is worthless for any Liechtenstein team below FC Vaduz, because they're the best team in the country, utterly dominating for most part, and it's highly unlikely they'll ever be properly challenged in the near future again. They have won the competition 25 times in the past 50 years, with other teams fighting for scraps. All other Liechtenstein sides compete in the lower Swiss leagues, while Vaduz (although relegated to the 2nd tier, the Challenge League) are still way better equipped squad-wise and have a much bigger budget than any other Liechtenstein side.

Ultimately, the winner of the Liechtenstein Cup participates in the UEFA Europa League (qualifiers, 1st round).

Whomever wins the Swiss Super League, is (currently still) automatically qualified for the UEFA Champions League group stages. But that may change, depending on how our teams fare in the Champions League and Europa League. Failure in accumulating enough points (wins or draws) will result in a lower ranking, thus making it harder for our top division to earn the right for an automatic CL spot for the champions. Only Europe's twelve best countries earn at least one automatic CL spot. Anything further down means qualifiers (3rd round and below).

Edited by MC Prussian

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

The Liechtenstein Cup is worthless for any Liechtenstein team below FC Vaduz, because they're the best team in the country, utterly dominating for most part, and it's highly unlikely they'll ever be properly challenged in the near future again. They have won the competition 25 times in the past 50 years, with other teams fighting for scraps. All other Liechtenstein sides compete in the lower Swiss leagues, while Vaduz (although relegated to the 2nd tier, the Challenge League) are still way better equipped squad-wise and have a much bigger budget than any other Liechtenstein side.

Ultimately, the winner of the Liechtenstein Cup participates in the UEFA Europa League (qualifiers, 1st round).

Whomever wins the Swiss Super League, is (currently still) automatically qualified for the UEFA Champions League group stages. But that may change, depending on how our teams fare in the Champions League and Europa League. Failure in accumulating enough points (wins or draws) will result in a lower ranking, thus making it harder for our top division to earn the right for an automatic CL spot for the champions. Only Europe's twelve best countries earn at least one automatic CL spot. Anything further down means qualifiers (3rd round and below).

You say whoever wins the Swiss League gets a CL spot but does that include Vaduz? I should look when i'm next on it but do they represent Switzerland or Liechtenstein when playing in Europe? I remember reading in the past (maybe incorrectly) that whatever the answer is to that question is the reason why they can't qualify for Europe via league positions

9 minutes ago, Walkers said:

You say whoever wins the Swiss League gets a CL spot but does that include Vaduz? I should look when i'm next on it but do they represent Switzerland or Liechtenstein when playing in Europe? I remember reading in the past (maybe incorrectly) that whatever the answer is to that question is the reason why they can't qualify for Europe via league positions

Vaduz represent Liechtenstein in Europe. But based on league rules, they cannot win the Swiss Super League should they finish 1st (not that they'll ever get there, it's near-impossible on a sportive basis). They can only qualify for a European competition via the Liechtenstein Cup.

• Like 1