Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AjcW

Football Manager 2018

5 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

So had a brilliant first season, romping to 3rd place - might have been better but for my dodgy start. Won the League Cup, and got to the FA Cup Final. 

Second season. Can't win for shit. Finished bottom of CL Group of Death (Inter, Shaktar and Barcelona). Players getting injured every week. Plunge down the league to 17th at Christmas. Sacked on New Year's Eve!

My group was AC Milan, Bayern and Real Madrid

Awful, just awful.

Where to start with this trash.

Presentation wise its still an excel document from the 90s. FM has been lost in time for presentation. There is so much text and bollocks on screen My eyes tire by the time im halfway across the screen.

3D match engine is equally laughable.

Gameplay is completely random. Seems to fool fools every year by convincing them its their tactics when in reality it's completely random.

Lost its way 15 years ago, absolute trash this

24 minutes ago, somebum said:

Awful, just awful.

Where to start with this trash.

Presentation wise its still an excel document from the 90s. FM has been lost in time for presentation. There is so much text and bollocks on screen My eyes tire by the time im halfway across the screen.

3D match engine is equally laughable.

Gameplay is completely random. Seems to fool fools every year by convincing them its their tactics when in reality it's completely random.

Lost its way 15 years ago, absolute trash this

98562012-CE40-45EF-85F1-6A0FAE637BF0.jpeg.4f27cee8820469a4bc65ddab43efb4d2.jpeg

On 11/6/2017 at 23:26, Worthington said:

I've taken on Chesterfield. Thought they'd be a real 'basket case', but not so. They've some good youth talent. I've promoted 3 to my regular 1st team squad and gone with a mix of kids & veterans. 20 games in am 4th with 36pts .... O'Grady is equal top scorer in the division with 12.. Jak McCourt has an average rating of 8.23, best in the league !

Ah, I was thinking about Chesterfield too but went with Hartlepool to try and get them back into the league. Played four friendlies so far so not got too far lol 

46 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Ah, I was thinking about Chesterfield too but went with Hartlepool to try and get them back into the league. Played four friendlies so far so not got too far lol 

Ah, i’m well into my Hartlepool expedition - having the best player in the league by miles helps mind. 

Promoted as Champions in the first season, making a decent fist of league two, challenging with Coventry and a host of other teams for automatic promotion / title as we enter Jan 2019 and the year of Brexit. 

That said, I did have a weak moment early on in the usually ‘difficulty second season’ when the Hull job was offered to me - so saved and took that on for a bit - they were a complete basket case though, had no full backs whatsoever (forced to sign Ashley Young and Alan Hutton from free agency) and didn’t enjoy trying to rotate the 15 grumpy attacking front line players every game.

So i’ve ended up reloading back in time and turning down that job and continuing with Jonny Franks and his band of merry men. 

Oh and tactics wise... what i’ve found in the lower divisons is keeping it simple seems to work. 4-4-2, not many instructions, basic player roles.

It then gives you a more flexible base to tweak things in game, where a simple change of mentality for 15 minutes can help you find a goal or keep one out. I’ve seen many a video with elaborate setups, but these are almost always for teams with talented players - my guys are not, so simple do what your told kick and rush makes sense. 

That’s not to say I havn’t  flipped formations from a 4-4-2 at points during the season, especially when you hit that rough patch where winning seems impossible, just to try and throw the AI off my tactics scent. But it’s the tried and trusted one I tend to go back to... and one i’m pretty stuck with now thanks to my striker collection fetish.

• Like 1

Languished about 4-6th most of the season with Vaduz, got to a point where they wanted to sack me and with me only a one year contract I ended up going on holiday for most of my last 10/15 games and re-loaded when I didn't get a positive result. Not necessarily wins but so long as it was a respectable result I continued. I ended up finishing 2nd, will lose half of my players on a free in the summer and they've cut my wage budget when i'm used to the board dramatically increasing it at teams like this. I need a bit of an overhaul on staff and still need to get a lot of players in. I managed to nab the leagues top scorer on a free before the budget cut and i've got my board looking for a parent club so hopefully i'll get Basel and I can nab some starlets.

Oh and surprisingly I won the Liechtenstein cup. The bloody news though, said that its one of the hardest trophies to retain (won like 19 of the last 20) and after I won was asked by a journalist if its now correct for people to see me as one of the best managers around lol

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Wasn't going to get FM this year but almost tempted to give it a try just because you lot think it's tactically challenging. lol

I'll wait for Wookie's review. Youse lot are mostly all a bunch of Tim Sherwoods anyway. ;)

lol

I didn't 17 enjoy much, probably my least favourite version and I've been playing since FM13. Admittedly I've not played 18 much yet but aside from UI issues I'm liking it. A lot of screens are frustrating, much less user friendly and scouting + signing players is more of a chore.

Edited by Wookie

5 hours ago, Walkers said:

Languished about 4-6th most of the season with Vaduz, got to a point where they wanted to sack me and with me only a one year contract I ended up going on holiday for most of my last 10/15 games and re-loaded when I didn't get a positive result. Not necessarily wins but so long as it was a respectable result I continued. I ended up finishing 2nd, will lose half of my players on a free in the summer and they've cut my wage budget when i'm used to the board dramatically increasing it at teams like this. I need a bit of an overhaul on staff and still need to get a lot of players in. I managed to nab the leagues top scorer on a free before the budget cut and i've got my board looking for a parent club so hopefully i'll get Basel and I can nab some starlets.

Oh and surprisingly I won the Liechtenstein cup. The bloody news though, said that its one of the hardest trophies to retain (won like 19 of the last 20) and after I won was asked by a journalist if its now correct for people to see me as one of the best managers around lol

Sold my highly talented Liechtenstein LB Goppel to Amiens for 400k which helped with the finances, loaned him straight back for nothing lol Not one of them clauses either, I saw they put him straight in the reserves and put in a bid

There's a lot more enjoyment coming from this game now. I can play a friendly before my EL qualifying 1st round matches and treat is as two more friendlies as i'm only playing a San Marino side. 13-0 on agg. Lost 2-1 at home to my new parent club Basel. Unseeded in the 2nd round draw unlike last season so I had Legia bloody Warsaw and somehow i've managed to beat them, although I matched them away and lost 3-1, I won 3-0 at home. Things are finally starting to click even though its taken a year :/

Edited by Walkers

Just watched this guy on YouTube. He seems to be far to eager to play the game and hasen't done his prep. Lacks tactical knowhow eg he conceded a lot from set plays pre season but little or nothing in the tactics section to make amends. His signings are also woeful. From a winning situation his team just capitulated. He should of gone defensive. This guy seemed so bad to me that he even forgot to have a sub keeper on the bench. Think he will be sacked by xmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODqOJoehUpA

Wolves game is going well now. Settled into my tactic in January, really enjoying it now! 

Also so they have a youth player called “Enzo Sauvage” if I can’t make him a first team player I’ll have failed. WHAT. A. NAME

• Like 1

So so gutted. I had Beer Sheva in the 3rd quali round, lost 1-0 away then won 4-0 at home to set up a tie against APOEL for a place in the group stages which was easily the best tie I could have hoped for. Edged it away but drew 0-0, battered them at home but drew 1-1 ugh. The money made for reaching the group stages would have seen us comfortably through the next few years. Still, taken 13 points from 5 games in the league with 4 away games so far. Got a strong but very thin squad.

On 11/8/2017 at 20:33, foxoffderby said:

Just watched this guy on YouTube. He seems to be far to eager to play the game and hasen't done his prep. Lacks tactical knowhow eg he conceded a lot from set plays pre season but little or nothing in the tactics section to make amends. His signings are also woeful. From a winning situation his team just capitulated. He should of gone defensive. This guy seemed so bad to me that he even forgot to have a sub keeper on the bench. Think he will be sacked by xmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODqOJoehUpA

I don't think I've named a sub keeper in about a thousand games. I only ever do it in Italy where you can name about a thousand subs lol 

I hardly ever lose my keeper.

You're now looking at the Gillingham boss! Don't know League One so well these days, so a steep learning curve no doubt. First friendly against Hearts and lost 2-0; played some O.K. football at times and created a bit on the break, but lost key CB Zakuani to a broken leg for rest of the season in the second half. 

Will check in after pre-season...

27 minutes ago, Kalacs_Orthopedic_Shoe said:

You're now looking at the Gillingham boss! Don't know League One so well these days, so a steep learning curve no doubt. First friendly against Hearts and lost 2-0; played some O.K. football at times and created a bit on the break, but lost key CB Zakuani to a broken leg for rest of the season in the second half. 

Will check in after pre-season...

Man, that's a cruel blow even for FM!