Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GaelicFox

Republic of Ireland V Denmark World Cup Qualifier

I'm really pleased the Irish cloggers are eliminated, we don't need that anti-football at the world cup. Feel sorry for a couple of decent posters on here of Irish descent who are disappointed but from a footballing perspective the Irish can piss off and never come back, horrific team

Guest seanfox778

I’m extremely gutted, especially after going 1-0 but it was a complete collapse after the equaliser. Italy is normally the team I follow if Ireland aren’t at a World Cup so I don’t even have a team to root for.

6 minutes ago, seanfox778 said:

I’m extremely gutted, especially after going 1-0 but it was a complete collapse after the equaliser. Italy is normally the team I follow if Ireland aren’t at a World Cup so I don’t even have a team to root for.

:schmike: <--------------------- :whistle:

Guest seanfox778
3 minutes ago, shen said:

:schmike: <--------------------- :whistle:

You’re right. Plus I once met a lovely girl in Odense, even though she was a Spurs fan. Also bacon. Denmark will be my official 2018 World Cup team. 

12 minutes ago, Super_horns said:
Martin O'Neil wasn't happy afterwards - storming out of the press interviews.

They just didn't defend well and know how to cope with Denmark.

Cannot be too many sons who have followed their father to a World Cup..

Maldini/Cruyff?

Miguel/Xabi Alonso and Manuel Sanchis Martinez and Hontiyuelo according to a quick google.

1 hour ago, Worthington said:

Don't wish to criticise the 'God' that is MON but, Ireland tonight were poor in all departments. Seemed to me that their tactics played right into Denmark's hands.

Losing by the odd goal, they'd have had some justification in playing the 'unlucky' card...1-5 though tells a different story !

We were but scoring early forced Denmark out of their shell and when they scored we had to go for it forcing us to deviate from our defensive game. With a team of championship/bottom half premier league plodders we were hopelessly exposed.

O'Neill made a right hash of it but to be fair he had nothing to lose by going for it  in the second half. Bringing on Mcgeady was just baffling though.

We've been paperning over the cracks for a long time. Euro 2012 was the wake up call but we just bumbled along until tonight. 

Something like tonight might be of benefit down the line. It's going to require a serious root and branch review of the game.  

8 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

We were but scoring early forced Denmark out of their shell and when they scored we had to go for it forcing us to deviate from our defensive game. With a team of championship/bottom half premier league plodders we were hopelessly exposed.

O'Neill made a right hash of it but to be fair he had nothing to lose by going for it  in the second half. Bringing on Mcgeady was just baffling though.

We've been paperning over the cracks for a long time. Euro 2012 was the wake up call but we just bumbled along until tonight. 

Something like tonight might be of benefit down the line. It's going to require a serious root and branch review of the game.  

Yeah, you've been a really poor anti-football team for a long time (a lot of that due to MON who lets be honest never played the best football at LCFC).

I actually think you have the talent in the ROI ranks to play a much more expansive game rather than just defending for your lives every match

5 hours ago, Super_horns said:

hm.....think Meyler might have done the Denmark's manager job for him Pre-match.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/i-only-see-one-outcome-11515974

One of those Pre-match interviews a player probably regrets for the rest of his career...

"They are a very good team but don’t have our character, heart and desire" claims midfielder before Tuesday's Dublin crunch.

Charactah and desayah lol

Only teams who lack footballing ability revert back to these cliches and drivel..

16 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

Denmark knew from the start they had to score, the Irish goal didn't change that. Oddly enough, I felt it was because the Irish kept pushing after the 1-0 and didn't compromise as they did in Copenhagen. It gave the Danes plenty of space, but it still needed a bit of magic from Sisto and a stroke of good fortune for the equaliser to go in.

In hindsight, the second goal was the killer and Denmark never looked like relinquishing control. It seemed to drain the belief from the crowd and players alike.

20 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I'm really pleased the Irish cloggers are eliminated, we don't need that anti-football at the world cup. Feel sorry for a couple of decent posters on here of Irish descent who are disappointed but from a footballing perspective the Irish can piss off and never come back, horrific team

You did watch england at the last World Cup and European championships ? 

England fans popping off at Irish football :nigel:

34 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

You did watch england at the last World Cup and European championships ? 

England fans popping off at Irish football :nigel:

maybe. But at least the English are there. Again.

54 minutes ago, shen said:

Denmark knew from the start they had to score, the Irish goal didn't change that. Oddly enough, I felt it was because the Irish kept pushing after the 1-0 and didn't compromise as they did in Copenhagen. It gave the Danes plenty of space, but it still needed a bit of magic from Sisto and a stroke of good fortune for the equaliser to go in.

In hindsight, the second goal was the killer and Denmark never looked like relinquishing control. It seemed to drain the belief from the crowd and players alike.

Given the amount of playoff games that ended 0-0 the Danes might have been anticapting a similar outcome too. They needed the goal when we got in front.

You have a point though about how we got punished for our attack minded approach. I would say though that ye were always going to be more comfortable in having a go than we were. Ye scored 20 goals in the group stages to our 12. When the game opened up it was always gonna suit Denmark.

Ye also have won a European Championship in the past and put up a great show in France 98. Other than when we played Saudi Arabia in 2002 we have played never scored more than 1 goal in 22 games at a major finals. There is no comparison really.

34 minutes ago, FIF said:

maybe. But at least the English are there. Again.

What for ? so the Sun newspaper can humiliate the players when they get knocked out by Iceland again 

so “fans” can boo at any player who makes a mistake for next 4 years 

so lads can travel claim to be the best fans in world  yet throw plastic chairs for fun at anyone who dares to walk past 

Let’s face it they are 25/1 for a reason And for a country that has the best league on the planet that’s pathetic 

17 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

What for ? so the Sun newspaper can humiliate the players when they get knocked out by Iceland again 

so “fans” can boo at any player who makes a mistake for next 4 years 

so lads can travel claim to be the best fans in world  yet throw plastic chairs for fun at anyone who dares to walk past 

Let’s face it they are 25/1 for a reason And for a country that has the best league on the planet that’s pathetic 

Still going to Russia though ain't we lad 

:cap:

11 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Yeah, you've been a really poor anti-football team for a long time (a lot of that due to MON who lets be honest never played the best football at LCFC).

I actually think you have the talent in the ROI ranks to play a much more expansive game rather than just defending for your lives every match

Not so sure we have. Our style has always been 'Rough and Ready'. Thats well before MON.  If someone like him cant get the best out of them I'd have little faith in anyone else. 

There has been not much Irish prospects at youth level and hasn't been for some time. This generation has been the one that has fallen off the premier league radar. MON will rightly get flak for last night but if he hadnt stepped in we would have fallen further behind. 

There has been some good work by coaches at underage level. One that I know of noticed how kids were playing on full length pitches and had existed for years The first thing he did when he got involved was cut the pitch length for players that they could get more ballwork instead of looking on up the pitch and the ball never coming their way. 

A parent I know also told me once that it was a reason why his son who was good at Gaelic Football walked away from the game. As a central defender he was just standing around and was frustrated with the lack of action in training and shoddy development structures compared to Gaelic. Something tells me that he wasnt the only one lost to the game over the last 10-15 years because of issues like this.

Looking at how uncomfortable we were on the ball at times last night its easy to link it to matters at underage.

1 hour ago, Blue ROI said:

Given the amount of playoff games that ended 0-0 the Danes might have been anticapting a similar outcome too. They needed the goal when we got in front.

You have a point though about how we got punished for our attack minded approach. I would say though that ye were always going to be more comfortable in having a go than we were. Ye scored 20 goals in the group stages to our 12. When the game opened up it was always gonna suit Denmark.

Ye also have won a European Championship in the past and put up a great show in France 98. Other than when we played Saudi Arabia in 2002 we have played never scored more than 1 goal in 22 games at a major finals. There is no comparison really.

Pretty sure none of the other results had any impact on the thinking of the Danish team. They were pretty satisfied after the game in Copenhagen saying that the condition of the pitch, paradoxically for a home ground, suited Ireland more than Denmark and that the pitch in Dublin could only be an improvement. So it proved.

But regardless of the Irish scoring, Denmark always needed to score at least once. It didn't change the gameplan. The Danes didn't practice penalties, which means they fully trusted they could and would score that all-important away goal.

Hopefully this team will be able to produce something worth noting at the World Cup :)

Archived