Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lavrentis

Dogs

31 minutes ago, westernpark said:

My best mate of 12 years, pushing on the verge of having to be put down. Been at the vets all evening. I hope he can pull through, I have the feeling it’s not quite his time to go.

Best of luck to you and him! There’s never a comfortable nighttime visit to the vet. You and him will know what’s right, and no matter what, he’ll be sure to let you know what he needs, body language or otherwise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, westernpark said:

My best mate of 12 years, pushing on the verge of having to be put down. Been at the vets all evening. I hope he can pull through, I have the feeling it’s not quite his time to go.

Gutting, hope it turns out ok.

10 hours ago, NJFox said:

Best of luck to you and him! There’s never a comfortable nighttime visit to the vet. You and him will know what’s right, and no matter what, he’ll be sure to let you know what he needs, body language or otherwise.

4 hours ago, Daggers said:

Gutting, hope it turns out ok.

Thanks for the kind words. We took him home last night, this morning he has woken up and he is definitely improved, albeit there is something not quite right. He’s getting old and perhaps I need to remember that he’s not the young dog he once was.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, westernpark said:

Thanks for the kind words. We took him home last night, this morning he has woken up and he is definitely improved, albeit there is something not quite right. He’s getting old and perhaps I need to remember that he’s not the young dog he once was.

Our Springer is suffering these days - but he’s had a decent innings compared to all the ones taken too soon from us. Each day is a bonus now…and the pup seems to have given him second wind. 

16 hours ago, Daggers said:

Our Springer is suffering these days - but he’s had a decent innings compared to all the ones taken too soon from us. Each day is a bonus now…and the pup seems to have given him second wind. 

Yeah I think we’ve just entered the beginning of the end for my one (that vet trip being pretty much confirmation) but hopefully he can make the summer still. I have contemplated about adding another but I fear I’ve left it too late, albeit he would be very tolerant. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ringo passed away yesterday, in my lap as the Vet put him down. He was bought for me by my parents when I was 17 years old, as I had been in hospital for quite a prolonged period and very poorly. He lived with me for twelve years , until yesterday. I feel very lucky to have chosen him at six weeks old, then C0E57371-7611-4BD3-B49A-FC3E3099524B.thumb.jpeg.3bf539ddb78272a8753c8156918cc273.jpegfor him to have died in my lap, finally peaceful but after a life full of adventures and fun. 

• Sad 15

3 hours ago, westernpark said:

I don’t know what to do without him. Absolutely broken. Struggling to enjoy myself because I feel guilty. How do people cope once they’ve lost their dog?

It is heartbreaking.  All you can do is remember the great life you gave him, and how much he gave you in return.   That is a wonderful thing.  It will get easier, but I still miss dogs I lost 25 years ago.

Personally I am always of the view that if you love having a dog in your life and you can offer a home then there are rescue dogs who need you.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

It is heartbreaking.  All you can do is remember the great life you gave him, and how much he gave you in return.   That is a wonderful thing.  It will get easier, but I still miss dogs I lost 25 years ago.

Personally I am always of the view that if you love having a dog in your life and you can offer a home then there are rescue dogs who need you.

I think rescue is something I will consider later in the year or early next, not only is it more ethical, I’m not sure I could have another puppy!