Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leeds Fox

If we’d had Puel all season?

59 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

You could also argue though that had Puel had longer with the side we might have killed West Ham or Stoke off for example and picked up a couple more points that way. I certainly think we'd have done better at Arsenal. Similarly, we might have been just as poor at the start of the season and he would have been under pressure which affects results. I don't believe we'd have been quite so abject at Bournemouth and Huddersfield at least (we've been decent away from home). 

I don't think it'd be wrong to say we'd be closer to those above us. We've seen there's a clear difference between having an actual manager and a coach temporarily masquerading as a manager. 

This is true as well. He's still learning about the side although I think he can't be far off knowing exactly what he wants to do with it.

It's what happens moving forward that really matters!

7th or 6th if someone implodes are the most likely this season imo.

Next season,with 2  Transfer Windows done and in and outgoings sorted, will show if we are continuously improving.

Can we be top 6 or higher? Nobody knows but if the definite improvement continues yes I believe we can.

Results under Shakespeare at the start of this season:

Arsenal 4–3 Leicester City

Leicester City 2–0 Brighton & Hove Albion

Manchester United 2–0 Leicester City

Leicester City 1–2 Chelsea

Huddersfield Town 1–1 Leicester City

Leicester City 2–3 Liverpool

Bournemouth 0–0 Leicester City

Leicester City 1–1 West Bromwich Albion

I reckon under Puel we probably would have won the Huddersfield, Bournemouth, and West Brom games, so that would put us on 40 points by now, and if we'd have managed to draw with Arsenal we'd be on 41 points and above them

However in this alternate universe, Arsenal have just completed the signings of Messi and Ronaldo so they win all their remaining games and we finish 7th. All moot.

4 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Roughly the same. It'd have taken him time to settle in, and we'd have still had the same horror run of fixtures to contend with early doors.

And given that horror run, with similar results and possibly demoralised players, could have been sacked.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

55 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

It's what happens moving forward that really matters!

7th or 6th if someone implodes are the most likely this season imo.

Next season,with 2  Transfer Windows done and in and outgoings sorted, will show if we are continuously improving.

Can we be top 6 or higher? Nobody knows but if the definite improvement continues yes I believe we can.

Stop sitting on the bloody fence man!

yes or no?

lol

I don't think we'd be any higher in the league as the points gap to Arsenal is pretty big at 8 points. But I think we would have picked up more points than we have now and would have been in the higher echelons of the league for a longer period of time.

Next year will be interesting if we get into Europe. A lot teams end up losing a few places in the league due to the number of games they play in Europe, and though we have a much bigger and better squad than we did the last time we were in Europe, it could happen to us too. Still I'd love to be back in Europe, even if it's just the Europa League as we might even have a shot of winning that.

The team has improved immensely all season long so I think the best thing I could say is that if we had Puel all season, we would probably have even better performances than now with slightly crisper passing and finishing. 

3 hours ago, AKCJ said:

7th.

Shakespeare's games were;

Arsenal 4-3 Leicester

Leicester 2-0 Brighton

Man Utd 2-0 Leicester

Leicester 1-2 Chelsea

Huddersfield 1-1 Leicester

Leicester 2-3 Liverpool

Bournemouth 0-0 Leicester

Leicester 1-1 West Brom

I don't think Puel would have picked up an additional 9 points to take us above Arsenal.

Shakespeare conjured defeat from victory at Arsenal all on his own. I can't imagine a more competent manager having done that. So, had we held on to beat Arsenal, that would mean a gain of 6 points over them, and we would only have had to gain another 3 points on them from the other games to overtake them. That doesn't look the least bit unlikely to me.

Puel would probably have got a point from Arsenal. For many of the other games, he would have a midfield two of Ndidi and King, as Shakey did, so probably wouldn't have done much better. Also we wouldn't have Maguire because it was Shakey specifically who convinced Maguire to come to us. So arguably we could even be worse off.

It's all 'what ifs' though isn't it. If we had managed to replace Kante with Gueye post-title win, we wouldn't have gone on such an absymal run, and Claudio might still be managing us now. But we'd never have gotten Ndidi, and we'd also be worse off now.

Edited by brucey

We'd probably have started similarly, but we might've picked up another 2-4 points against the better sides, then we had that insipid run of draws against inferior teams immediately after, I think it would be very reasonable to tack on an extra 4 there. Figure an extra 6-8 points, conservatively. More aggressively, we could easily see ourselves in competition for 5th.

That said, if we're 14 seconds earlier, Shakey is prob still manager and we are likely top-7 in my opinion. I really liked Shakey's vision for the club, which was an enormous boon for Puel, instead of another Southampton, he got to cook after Shakey did the shopping, which included two CBs and two MFs who are much more comfortable on the ball than the players they replaced. If we subtract Maguire, Dragovic, Iborra, and Silva (obv, mostly Iborra and Maguire), Puel would've been positioned to struggle like a mofo. Y'know, like Shakey did when he had Ndidi and King as his best MF with no depth. Iborra was beyond critical to steadying the side, but he was unavailable for Shakey early. So it goes though, Puel seems a better manager, but I'd have liked to have seen Shakey without that Silva debacle.

• Like 1