Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leeds Fox

If we’d had Puel all season?

If we’d started the season with Puel in charge, where do you think we’d be sitting in the table now? 

Taking into to account all of the games Shakes was in charge and the games where Claude didn’t really know his squad.

Obvioulsy this is hypothetical, but I just wondered what people think.

Cue ‘we’d be top!’ comments :sweating:

We'd have been in the relegation zone, CS would've stayed on as assistant and eventually saved us again as caretaker. Or we'd be running Man City close. Or we'd be 7-10th, with fans bickering whether this is the best/worst Leicester side in history.

• Like 1

Someone posted some analysis yesterday that showed we were the 6th best performing team since CP arrived, so I guess at least there. Maybe higher if we had had a chance to do some work in the preseason and also he had had the opportunity to make some targeted signings. 

47 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Someone posted some analysis yesterday that showed we were the 6th best performing team since CP arrived, so I guess at least there. Maybe higher if we had had a chance to do some work in the preseason and also he had had the opportunity to make some targeted signings. 

Who knows? We might go on a similar run of results now that saw Shakespeare sacked. He might have upset the applecart this summer with transfer dealings.

The results Puel has had might not have been replicated.

It's all very Spursy this...

Edit: Not to mention the fan reaction... Puel is currently enjoying the benefit of the doubt because there has been an upturn in form, so there was an immediate and tangible reference point. What if he had had a Marco Silva-esque form curve?

Edited by shen

It’d be easy enough just to say let’s see what happens next season, however I doubt we’ll have Mahrez and could possibly lose one or two others. 

It wasn’t meant as a serious thread, more a ‘what if’. 

I’m very happy with where we are now. 

Hypothetical on the basis we would have made the same signings too. By coming in when he did Puel realised what we had in the team and hasn't changed too much in january in terms of personnel. 

Michael Appleton would probably have not been here either as he only came in the first place because of Shakey.

Let's see what he does next season

realistically we'd probs still have lost most the games we lost under Shakespeare (arsenal, livpool, united, Chelsea) but we'd have done better than that awful run of scraping points vs Huddersfield, west brom, Bournemouth etc. 

so yeah, 4 or 5 extra points probably. we've done very well to get ourselves up the league tbh. 

7th.

Shakespeare's games were;

Arsenal 4-3 Leicester

Leicester 2-0 Brighton

Man Utd 2-0 Leicester

Leicester 1-2 Chelsea

Huddersfield 1-1 Leicester

Leicester 2-3 Liverpool

Bournemouth 0-0 Leicester

Leicester 1-1 West Brom

I don't think Puel would have picked up an additional 9 points to take us above Arsenal.

You could also argue though that had Puel had longer with the side we might have killed West Ham or Stoke off for example and picked up a couple more points that way. I certainly think we'd have done better at Arsenal. Similarly, we might have been just as poor at the start of the season and he would have been under pressure which affects results. I don't believe we'd have been quite so abject at Bournemouth and Huddersfield at least (we've been decent away from home). 

I don't think it'd be wrong to say we'd be closer to those above us. We've seen there's a clear difference between having an actual manager and a coach temporarily masquerading as a manager. 

7th, but viewing the Arsenal home game as a serious chance to get above them.

The point for me though is if we still had Shakespeare I don't think we'd be this high. I don't think we'd be bottom three but I reckon we'd be in the thick of this bottom half, which isn't saying much as quite frankly it's the worst PL bottom half I've ever seen.